New 13" MBP Lag Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlindGoldfish, Nov 21, 2010.

1. BlindGoldfish macrumors regular

I bought the 13" MPB after the latest revision and immediately swapped out the hard drive with a Western Digital 500 gig 5,400 RPM drive. Almost immediately I noticed there was a slight hesitation when loading apps/browsing around the internet/typing/other remedial tasks. Could this be due to the new hard drive?

I also formatted it HFS+ Journaled. Could this be the issue?

2. BlindGoldfish thread starter macrumors regular

Any input on this before I reformat my hard drive?

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

That is a very infamous issue. It will not hit everyone and it is not consistant, even with same or different models of MBP or HD.
    I had the "stall" issue with the WD Scorpio Blue. Swithched to a Seagate Momentous 7,200 rpm drive (later to a Hitachi just to see) and the issue went away. Both of these drives are quick, quiet and have no perceptible vibration in my 15" MBP.
    There aree countless threads on this issue but the cause is still basically unknown. Some have had luck using this or that software to change the way the HD parks/doesn't park the heads, but IMO it is better/safer/easier to buy another brand HD. See the old thread below for some references.
    http-//forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=729883

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

Sorry, forgot to mention HFS+ Journaled is OK (must use the GUID option to boot with an Intel CPU).

5. BlindGoldfish thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to respond.

I guess it is a good news/bad news situation. Looks like I'll be using the 500gig currently in the notebook as an additional backup drive.