New 13" MBP screens v "Collectors Edition" Alu screens - and swapping screens out?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Loccy, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Loccy macrumors member

Did a quick search for this but while I found posts that compare the new MBP 13" with older MBPs and the old school white Macbooks, found very little directly comparing the Alu CE with the MBP 13".

Subject line says it all - two questions

1) are they THAT much better? I personally never quite got the "oh woe is me, my Alu screen is total gash" angst, and was moderately pleased with my Alu screen after I found a calibration I liked. "Moderately" pleased is not, however, delighted.

2) If they are that much better, how compatible are they? Have Apple completely changed the innards of what is (basically) the same Alu Macbook with Firewire put back, or could one now swap out the Alu CE screen for a Pro screen?

I watch a lot of TV and film on my Alu so would be up for spending a couple of hundred quid to improve screen quality, were such a thing feasible.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

For the price of getting the new screen you may as well sell the Macbook and buy a new
    MacBook Pro. The price difference would be minimal and it might even turn out cheaper to buy a new one.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

When the MBCE's first came out, I got a 9c89 screen, and it was positively horrid. I took it to my local apple store, and played the october laptop event on it, and you couldn't tell the difference between steve job's sweater and the black background behind him; he was 'floating head' CEO. I used that to get the genius to exchange my MB for another one without a restocking fee.

You may be able to take a dvd of a classic black and white or film noir movie to the genius bar and make the same case if your screen truly stinks.

IMO, Apple putting those lousy screens in 1300+ notebooks in late 2008 was truly unacceptable.

Oh, and I agree with the above posters about selling your ce before doing screen replacement surgery on it. Too much risk for too little savings.

4. mosx macrumors 65816

The screen issue is completely overblown. The new screens only have slightly better color saturation and nothing more. You can get the same affect out of your current screen by just calibrating it using the advanced settings in the calibration tools.

I have the original LG screen on my unibody MacBook and it has never looked anything like the naysayers have claimed they have looked like. And it generally ends up looking better than the screens they claim look better.

It all really boils down to an OS X calibration problem. The way the colors are rendered in OS X looks vastly different (and inferior) to Windows. It's night and day. You literally have to configure any screen running OS X to perfection, while Windows does it right out of the box.

But anyway, don't bother. The new MacBook "Pro" just proves the whole "Pro" thing has been a sham all along and you really shouldn't buy into it. Sell your Mac like I am and get a good and respectable PC.