New 13in rMBP or 2012 15in MBP (non retina)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmcmahan, Oct 24, 2013.

1. bmcmahan macrumors newbie

I’m looking at buying the 13rMBP with the 2.6GHz, 16GB and 512GB. I will be using it for my Master’s program for the next year and then using it for the usually stuff such as web, email and music. I do the occasionally video editing with my GoPro and will start doing more photo stuff since I just had a kid. I was also looking at the 15in nonrMBP in the refurbished section base model 2.3GHz, 500GB and 4GB RAM (I would upgrade to 16), both would be about the same in the long run. I really just want to make sure I’m getting something that will last, as I hate to spend money now that I've had a kid (they cost more money than I thought).
    Do you think this will last me about 5-7 years as my main computer? It will be hooked up to a 24inLED TV. Thanks

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Given you seem to have no preference, it's an entirely random and individual choice. Either one will fit your needs. In this situation I'd go with "smaller" just for portability and the fact you will be using that 24" display a lot (I assume).

7 years might be pushing it though.

3. bmcmahan thread starter macrumors newbie

7 years might be a pipe dream, but If i can get a good 5 years of use I'll be happy. Dropping this kind of money on a purchase, has me wanting to make sure I make a good decision. Do you think that 16GB is overkill or will 8GB et me by? I know that I want to get the larger SSD, do you think that I would see any real world difference between the 2.4 and 2.6 on the rMPB? Again thanks

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

For web, music and email? Yes, it's overkill. 8GB is fine.

No real world difference. You probably won't notice it.

5. bmcmahan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I might just go with the mid 13in with a 2.4 and 256SSD and spend the money I save on the other upgrades for a good external HD or time capsule for additional storage.