New 15" MBP w/ 256GB Patriot SSD... Holy S$%^

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsa420, Jul 16, 2009.

1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

So I just purchased the new MBP and replaced the HDD with a Patriot Torqx 256Gb SSD. Wow is about all that I can say....

Every application is speedier than I have ever experienced, especially PowerPoint. I am blown away and can never go back to a standard HDD ever again..

2. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

3. ryanflucas macrumors regular

ryanflucas

Is it fast out of the box with the SSD, or did you also apply the firmware update that allows the drive bus to run at the higher speed?

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

How much did it cost? This is the only reason why I havent upgraded, it's not worth the price right now. I have never heard of Patriot SSD, hows it compare to the Apple stock installed SSD or Intel?

5. spentan macrumors member

which model Patriot is it?? EDIT: Just saw its the Torqx,

Do you know if it has any cache?

How much did you pay for it?

6. antskip macrumors regular

7. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

Did I just get lucky picking a good brand or do these drives have a good reputation? I kinda went into Fry's blindly without researching much and feeling the need for instant gratification.

I am not sure what model or specs are on this drive, there was little to no packaging. They did have the older model, the Warp I think for $100 less.

8. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

9. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

10. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I think its a fairly good model. Not top of the line but definitely not bottom either. I think this drive falls somewhere in the top of the middle. If that makes any sense lol.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would have bought a whole new computer.... a decent Mac Mini. But seriously, for that kind of money, you'd expect that kind of performance.

12. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

i am ordering another tomorrow for my Mac Pro, maybe not 256gb but I cant imagine going back to stanard HDD

13. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

That is a good SSD. Very good sequential read/write speeds. By looking at the review by the previous poster the random read/write speeds were decent at around what it looked like 4mb/s write and I think 10mb/s read. That is good.

One thing to note about that review there is it had somewhat odd competition. There was no intel or OCZ drive in there to compare it with.

For reference purposes these are the comparisons for the Patriot vs the intel X25-M. (The Extreme (E) series is roughly the same, with better write performance).

IOPS (I/O per sec): Patriot = 11000+ | Intel = 33000+
    Sequential Write Speeds: Patriot = 212mb/s | Intel = 70mb/s
    Sequential Read Speeds: Patriot = 219mb/s | Intel = 250mb/s

Random Write Speeds: Patriot = 4+mb/s | Intel = 30+mb/s
    Random Read Speeds: Patriot = 10+mb/s | Intel =56+mb/s

To put this in perspective the OCZ vertex got around 2mb/s random write and 5-8mb/s random read (I think that was right, someone correct me if wrong). The patriot blows that away, and random write/read is VERY important, more so than sequential in most cases.

IMHO that is a very good drive you got. At a massive size of 256GB and having that kind of performance is real good for a SSD. Better than the vertex from what I'm seeing. It doesn't quite compete with the Intel X25 drives in terms of random read/write or sequential read, but keep in mind the intel drives have much smaller capacity and cost alot more (32GB - 160GB) ($400 - $900).

Congrats :D

14. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I would like to know aswell, because I plan on purchasing this if the Intel X-25M 120GB isn't cheaper when it gets changed soon.

15. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

16. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Waste of money.

17. snowboarder macrumors 6502

I would buy it today if I didn't listen to the stupid Intel rumor
    and didn't wait for a new 320GB model... I really can't wait that much longer...
    What do you guys think, when?
    Is it gonna be that much cheaper than the current line? I mean the 320GB model
    will be obviously more expensive, but will Intel cut prices with the new line
    introduction? I guess the competition would have to follow...

18. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

Where this technology will most certainly get cheaper in the future (just like everything else), I wouldn't hesistate to buy now. Honestly, given the price of the Intel drives now, I highly doubt they are going to become any more affordable.

19. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

given the pre-order prices at some greek e-shops, I think the 34nm drives will be around 20 percent cheaper for the same capacities

20. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

As good as SSD's are, you won't ever see me paying over $300/320GB for storage. I can wait for better prices :cool:

21. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

It's not just storage. The bottleneck with the speed of your computer is your hard drive. No one buys an SSD for storage. They buy it because it speeds up their system. If anything, SSD is worse than HDD for storage at the moment because the affordable ones come in smaller capacities.

22. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I've been following the eSata SSD boot drive threads. Stick a 48 GB in there for boot and applications and keep everything else on the internal. Seems like a great hybrid option at a much more palatable price.

eV

23. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

For my MBP, I don't want to lug anything else around, but I still want to have everything I need, so I opt for more storage. I need at least 250GB to store everything that I may need at a moment's notice.
    My Mac Mini has all my large storage hooked up to it, so the internal drive isn't as important. This is where my first SSD will likely find its home.

24. bossxii macrumors 68000

I'm just happy to see 256gig SSD's for $699, the 128's were $800+ just 6 months ago. I've used SSD's in the MBA and on a buddies MBP, they are impressive but until I can find a 500gig drive for under $500 it won't replace my 7200rpm drive. Plus I'm curious how these drives will hold up over a coupel of years as the MLC technology in the consumer drives will wear out 10x faster than the SLC drives.

@OP Congrats on the SSD!