New 15" Retina fans vs old fans (fan noise)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Moriarty, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Has anyone got anything to share with regards to fan noise (and temperatures / power consumption / throttling) on the retina MBP? They were some consequences of models in the past due to being so thin, and now that Apple has gone even thinner, I am worried despite what they say are fancy new fans.

The heatpipe design also looks a bit better, sharing the cooling load from the CPU and GPU between the two fans evenly, so perhaps we will also see even lower fan noise when stressing only the CPU. I know Ivy Bridge is supposed to be more efficient than Sandy Bridge, but I wouldn't be surprised if the GPU sucks more power.

One of the few things I hate about laptops is the noisy fans. How much improvement has been made here with the new thermal system? Possibly too early to say this, but can temperatures or power consumption limit performance like it has in the past?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you see the video where they explain all the enhancements to the cooling system?

3. Ulysses12 macrumors newbie

On paper it looks nice, but he is asking about real world results.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As already stated, it's too early to know that. Wait until more users have real-world experience with them.

5. Moriarty thread starter macrumors 6502

People have got their hands on them. They're going to be keen on quickly installing games to check out the new GPU and display. All I ask is to mute the volume for a minute while something like Diablo 3 is stressing the system a lot and make a subjective comparison with their old Macbook Pro.

I've seen Apple's promo video... what they don't mention is that they can't make the fan blades as tall any more because of the reduced thickness of the machine. I want real-world results, not Apple's PR spin on things.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know some have, but you're more likely to get the kind of reports you're looking for after a few days or weeks. I'm sure there will be dozens or hundreds of reviews, comparisons, benchmarks, etc., but it's a bit premature at this time. Many have ordered and are waiting for delivery.

7. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

Same here.

Did anyone see any credible results yet? They've been out for days already but these professional testers are a joke. They write really fast in Word or open multiple tabs in Safari and expect that to wind up the fans. Just install Civilization V and give it 10-20 minutes of gameplay and the 2011 MBP is way too loud for my liking. I want to know if there is a real difference in a scenario like this.

Contemplating between the Retina MBP or hackintosh for an upgrade.