New 16 inch won’t replace 15

RumorConsumer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
It just won’t. Not if it comes out this year. The 15 still says “new” in the store. They won’t kill a product that’s in “new” status.

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Ever product that was killed was in "new" status at some time.

The question that should be asked is if there is a reason for the 2019 15" to hang around if the rumored 16" in the same sized chassis with a scissors keyboard is released. I can see them doing that for a while, similar to the way they kept the 2015 15" for a bit. But this may be just to run down existing stock. But given the reputation of the keyboard, Apple may just choose to dump the old ones through various channels immediately.

My guess is the demand for a 16" with a scissors keyboard will be high. Because even though there is no guarantee that the new scissors keyboard with glass fiber will not have issues, the butteryfly keyboard is seen by many as a failure.

Last edited:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I think the 16" will be a replacement for the 15", but there will probably be some 15" models stay around to keep the entry price low, something Apple have been doing for a few years across many model lines.

Damian.

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
This is a Apple.com snapshot on the 9 of September 2019:

Even 10 September 2019 shows the iPhone Xs as “new” before the Apple online store went down.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2012
They need to simplify their macbook lineup not complicate it more. Introducing a 16" and keeping the 15" would be absolutel madness unless the 16" is some sort of super high end pro-pro machine

jk1002

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008
I do think thats in the cards that they position it as an ultra high end model just not to kill of demand for the old design.

What I am really curious about is, if it will hve faceID. Just reduzing the Bezel and fxing the keayboard os not that much giving that the keyboard failure they would not admit

Pro7913

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2019
It just won’t. Not if it comes out this year. The 15 still says “new” in the store. They won’t kill a product that’s in “new” status.
Apparently, it WILL replace 15 inch cause 16 inch is a new version of 15 inch with a new design.

nbuubu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I'm not only interested in a keyboard "fix" for the quality control issues, I'm interested in Apple going back to the kind of key travel macs used to have. As a writer I cannot last an entire day on a current Mac without my fingers hurting, and if they keep prioritizing thinness over functionality I'll have to stick with the Dells and Lenovos.

Apathy Overdose

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
I think they will discontinue the 15" Pro and introduce a 15" Air. They can't put any specs into the 16" that would make it vastly outperform the current 15". It doesn't make any sense going forward to have two Pros around with more or less the same specs and having an inch of screen size be the big differentiating factor.

Reactions: The Mercurian

The Mercurian

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2012
I'm not only interested in a keyboard "fix" for the quality control issues, I'm interested in Apple going back to the kind of key travel macs used to have. As a writer I cannot last an entire day on a current Mac without my fingers hurting, and if they keep prioritizing thinness over functionality I'll have to stick with the Dells and Lenovos.
I don't mind the feel of the keyboard, in fact I kind of like it - but I do definitely make more typos on it!

theluggage

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2011
It just won’t. Not if it comes out this year.
We don't really know what "it" is yet.

The rumours suggest that its just the current 15" innards with a 16" display - (and remember the current one is actually 15.4" so it will probably just look like the existing machine with thinner bezels). The lower case may need to be re-designed to accommodate a scissor keyboard but it won't be immediately obvious. If that's the case then it really won't have much to distinguish it from the 15" so it really wouldn't make sense for the two to co-exist and I'd expect the 15" to become 'while stocks last'.

It would only make sense to co-exist if it was some sort of "Pro+" with extra power or expandability. If its got the same CPU/GPU that's gonna be a hard sell - 'All the features of the 15" but with a reliable keyboard and adequate cooling so it doesn't throttle! Only $1000 extra! Magical!'. On the other hand, there's that leak of a 95W power supply, which would imply a more powerful machine (and better cooled - at the end of the day that's an extra 10W of heat to go somewhere) so who knows?

The "new" on the website is meaningless - the existing 15" was released ~ 6 months ago and that was only a spec bump of the existing design with attempt #3 to fix the keyboard.

I still suspect that this is all being driven by some large customer saying that they won't touch the butterfly keyboard resulting in one of the 'next generation' designs being rushed out instead of waiting for the next generation of Intel chips. The current design dates from 2016 so you'd expect a new design in the next year or two.

Reactions: The Mercurian

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
It may and it may not, all of this is obviously conjecture. From a business/marketing perspective its hard to sell two models side by side that are almost identical. I'm not saying its impossible but its not easy. What apple may do it position the 16" as a top tier product. Kind of like the new Mac Pro, ultra expensive aimed at a small market demographic.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
It may and it may not, all of this is obviously conjecture. From a business/marketing perspective its hard to sell two models side by side that are almost identical. I'm not saying its impossible but its not easy. What apple may do it position the 16" as a top tier product. Kind of like the new Mac Pro, ultra expensive aimed at a small market demographic.
That’s more in line with my sense.

LeeW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
A 16" MBP with an OLED display and a different keyboard (if rumours are true) is not a replacement for the 15", it is a new line. So no, the new 16" will not replace the existing MBP. They are different enough to be distinct.

TomOSeven

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2017
It'll probably come in 16:9, thus being barely larger than the 15.6" MBP, but they'll introduce it as a new category that starts at 600 more than the 15.6 one (for a 256 GB base storage, of course).

Eventually it will replace the 15.6, but the increased price will stick.

I'll eat my hat if the base 256 GB Macbook Pro "large" will start at anything less than 2800 Euros next year.

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
They need to simplify their macbook lineup not complicate it more. Introducing a 16" and keeping the 15" would be absolutel madness unless the 16" is some sort of super high end pro-pro machine

I don't buy that at all. I don't find the line up confusing. I don't want to be forced to pick and choose from a smaller set of options because a subset finds the line-up confusing. I'd rather those people spend a little time educating themselves on the products.

Reactions: LeeW

Moonjumper

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
It'll probably come in 16:9, thus being barely larger than the 15.6" MBP, but they'll introduce it as a new category that starts at 600 more than the 15.6 one (for a 256 GB base storage, of course).

Eventually it will replace the 15.6, but the increased price will stick.

I'll eat my hat if the base 256 GB Macbook Pro "large" will start at anything less than 2800 Euros next year.
I hope not. 16:10 is so much better than 16:9. I've been using a work supplied 13" 16:9 Windows laptop. The screen feels so much smaller than a 13" MBP.

My last MBP was a 15". The screen was great. I wouldn't be bothered about adding a little to the sides to make it a 16" 16:9. A 16" 16:10 screen would be much more meaningful as it is usually height where I feel constrained, be it coding, Photoshop, Illustrator, web browsing, reading. The only area 16:9 has an advantage is watching media, which isn't exactly a Pro pursuit.

Reactions: dmi

DHagan4755

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
We don't really know what's coming. The leaks have been very sparse. It's supposedly only a few weeks away from announcement and we only very recently saw a hazy photo of a supposed 96-watt power adapter. If I had to guess, I would say the 16-inch size is replacing the 15-inch model. Apple's had a history of doing this sort of thing — the entry-level 10.2 iPad being the most recent example, replacing the 9.7-inch. The 11-inch iPad Pro replaced the 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

fokmik

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2016
USA
A 16" MBP with an OLED display and a different keyboard (if rumours are true) is not a replacement for the 15", it is a new line. So no, the new 16" will not replace the existing MBP. They are different enough to be distinct.
where do you read about OLED for the next macbook pro? i think you misunderstood is about miniLED, and miniLED is not OLED or microLED

fokmik

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Maybe the one who write that rumor about it also
misunderstood oled instead of miniled
I don’t think apple will go oled,they will go from miniLed straight to microled in the next 5-10 years
Link about oled mac please

Last edited:

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2017
Wow.. We do hope for a base one! I wanna do the jump to the 15" but right now is not the best moment