New 17" Macbook Pro has 8 hour battery life... but the 15" only has 5?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by watermelon, Jan 6, 2009.

1. watermelon macrumors regular

Hm... Doesn't seem to make much sense to me because people with 17" mbps dont need the added mobility from 8hrs battery life as much as the 15"ers and the macbooks. :(
    Perhaps the new macbooks/pros will get the super long lasting new battery too?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Depending on the design that may be a pipe dream. I'm not sure on why they needed to have it as a fixed installation but if it has anything to do with the layout of the battery the same type of configuration may not work on the mb/p 13/15 inch.

3. Queen6 macrumors 601

Queen6

I think i would be fair to say that Apple will extend the technology, as long as the consumer response is favorable.

I for one would buy a notebook with a non removable battery, given that it will last 5 years.

I generally upgrade ever 3 years, and will be looking to a 17" quad core in 2010.

Q-6

4. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

But if they do figure out a way to do a drop in battery that plays nicely with the current connection and can communicate to various chips inside the battery, that would be sweet.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

the reason the 17" has a longer battery life is fairly obdvious, its because its bigger and has more room for the battery! so i dont think the 15" version is going to be getting much of an increase any time soon.

look:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

press "Watch the Battery Video"

:):apple:

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah, but we 15" users can carry multiple batteries.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

thats true, i think they need to make official Apple external batteries, they'd make a killing from people like me then. Perhaps something similar to a power block on a normal laptop.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

with a magsafe? ... sounds do-able.

9. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Too bad Apple controls MagSafe (for this idea and for 3rd party power adapters). We'd have to wait for Apple to release such a thing. Doesn't really sound Apple-egant. Hm, no. Or Appelegant. Hm. Applelegant? Sounds drunk.

10. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

would be nice to have a longer battery time like the 17" granted it may not be longer than the 17" because of the size factor...but it should still give at least 6.5 hours I think if it was the same type of battery in the smaller 15.4" chassis

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I edit with my 17" in the field all the time, and a theoretical 3+ hour bump for my laptop is amazing. True I'm not usually far from a power outlet, but it'll so nice to be able to edit on site full blast for 3-4 hours vs. the normal 2 I got with the latest 17" MBP.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The battery will cost $179 to replace. Does it seem a reasonable price?

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yes, very reasonable.

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yes, the old 17" battery costs $129 but I only have to swap it every 5 years.

15. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

But how long does it last on a charge?

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If it's only $50 more and a better battery then it sounds like a decent deal, especially taking into account it includes the labour costs.

17. pj- macrumors member

BS math warning:

There would be a good gain in battery life if they bring over this technology to the 15". The 140% battery size accounts for 6.3 hours of the battery life, which wouldn't happen in the 15" mpb. The remaining 1.7 hours is a 27% increase in efficiency, which would translate to roughly 6 hours 20 minutes of total battery life in a 15" mbp.

That would bring the REAL battery life of a 15" mbp to around 5 hours

18. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

I regret buying my 15 inch unibody I will be selling and getting this! And I feel kinda bad because people told me to wait for Macworld! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:mad:

19. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Im kinda thinking of getting a 17" to replace an iMac at home.

However, I will keep the MBP connected to a power source most of the time. What effect will this have on the battery?

20. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

Won't have a effect just make sure every 3 days or so unplug and drain the battery.
    y

21. MBPDiva macrumors regular

I like the idea of having extra battery juice for editing on the fly. I have the late '08 MBP (purchased in Oct. 08). Can I purchase the new 8 hour battery and switch it out with my old one? :confused:

22. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

No, they had to move around the insides of the new 17" to fit it in there. It's only designed for the unibody 17"ers.

23. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The Ability to remove the battery makes it smaller, as it needs connectors, make protection etc. The fact the Battery isnt removable, and the added space from the 17", and the new technology makes the 17" Battery have a longer battery time.

24. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

So 8 hours translates into what

Apple is claiming 8 hours of battery life, but obviously if you are using your laptop to watch movies, edit, or graphic design or web development the battery is going to drain much faster. I would be curious to see if apple gets more than 2 hours out of this battery with say editing using final cut pro.

My current late model 2008 MBP battery drains, after being fully charged, within an hour if I am using final cut pro.

25. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

you can purchase external magsafe battery supplies.