New 17" MBP - Able to upgrade the HD/RAM later at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Jan 6, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Hi.

I purchased the new 17" MBP today with 320GB 7200RPM and 4GB RAM. I wanted 8GB RAm but at $1200 for the upgrade, it was just too much. I also wanted 500GB HD in the future.

So my question is.. if I don't want to do it myself, am I able to upgrade hard drive and memory later at the Apple Store? I was thinking to upgrade the RAM to 8GB when it gets cheaper (hopefully end of the year) and upgrade the hard drive to 500GB whenever it becomes available.

Will they do this at the Apple Store? And for those who have heard or done upgrades at the store before, do they usually do it same day?

Oh.. and for example..suppose the RAM upgrade cost $600 later instead of $1200 on their website as it does now.. would they charge $600 + installation, or just $600 total?

Thanks.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The RAM upgrade and Hard Drive upgrade can be done in store, and they will do it for you for free, but you have to use Apple parts, bought in the store. Yes they will do it same day.

Also the RAM upgrade will cost $1200 later, because at the moment you have 2 x 2GB RAM Sticks = 4GB in total, but to upgrade to 8GB you will need 2 x 4GB (each 4GB is $600) so total $1200. This confused me a bit too at first.

You can do the RAM upgrade yourself, but you wont find 8GB of RAM cheaper than $1200 that will work in the Macbook Pro.

3. dylanmac macrumors newbie

dylanmac

When I went to go buy my 15" MBP the Apple rep told me they only do ram upgrades in the store when I told them I wanted the ram and hard drive upgraded. I then had to go order it online.

Is this different by location?

4. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your response and answering my questions.

What I meant was if the price supposedly dropped from $1200 to $600 per pair of 4gb sticks (thus 8gb ram) later on in the year when configuring your MBP online, would I only have to pay the lower price (i.e. $600) at the Apple Store for this upgrade?

And another poster in this topic wrote that they don't do hard drive upgrades, is this true?

Thanks!

5. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Man! you did that pre-order stuff? your seriously want one of those things huh.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

yes then they will do it for $600 for you.

and they will do hard drive upgrades in the store in the case of the 17" MBP, because just like with the MB Air the hard drive isnt easily removable, and so its a service theyve agreed to give people.