New 2.1 GPS LocationServices on/off is a HUGE battery drain! What were they thinking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rybold, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

The other night, some dude was following my girlfriend in her car and she went down a street she wasn't familiar with and she clicked the GPS icon on Maps, and it said "Turn on Location Services ............"
    With 2.0, it would have instantly shown her where she was and where the road she was on was going! Why did Apple make the software more difficult ??? ("Windows Vista style") WTF, Apple ???????????????????????????????

With 2.0 firmware, while using GPS Google Maps, I could just click on the bottom left of the screen and a pop-up would ask me if I wanted to allow location services. I would click "OK," and I would instantly know where I was. It was quick and safe. After the 2.1 update, when I am in GPS Google Maps, and I click to turn the GPS on, it won't work unless I go to settings and manually turn it on. If you try to do all of this while driving, you'll crash! (GOOD JOB, APPLE!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: ) So, the only way to be able to quickly access GPS is to have Location Services always turned on in the background. So, I tried that ... and to my complete shock, even though I was not using Google Maps, my battery life PLUMMETTED !!!! :mad:

Attached Files:

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

How exactly does location services kill your battery if no application is accessing it??

3. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

I find this to be the case too. Presumably it's down to the GPS circuitry being on rather than off?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The only way to safely access it is to not do it while driving.

Yes apple might have made it harder to reach a function but your reason for this complaint is a little thin on the ice.

5. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Last time I checked, auto manufacturers were selling vehicles with GPS screens pre-installed on the vehicle's dash. Also, all of the GPS devices sold at major electronics stores only come with a 12-Volt DC "cigarette lighter" plug. Apparently, the NHTSA feels it is safe. Besides, what's the point in having the little blue dot that moves if you are just going to be standing in one place when you use it?

(fyi: I never use my iPhone while driving, except for the GPS)

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Using a GPS unit while driving is very different from adjusting a GPS unit.

It is entirely possible to turn location services on before driving and therefore not crash.

edit:
    Adjusting the gps is no different really than texting or making a call.

7. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

And that is PRECISELY the reason the change made in the 2.1 firmware is SO DANGEROUS!!! With the 2.0 firmware, no one had to adjust anything; you'd just click on the bottom left of the screen, click OK, and it was a GPS device just like any other. With the 2.1 update, you have to go into settings and turn the location services on, and by the time you get back to maps, you just ran into the back of a semi-truck !!! :mad::mad::mad:

2.1 GPS is BAD! Very BAD! :mad:

8. Frippe macrumors member

well, dont turn off location services and your problem is solved

9. tygelert macrumors newbie

I think your missing the point. Turn on the GPS, Give it a command to give Directions to Location (OOps apple havent put turn by turn in yet have they.)

Then Start Car, Then Drive.

This is the same instructions given by Tom Tom, Garmin and all other handheld auto GPS. and is the same as the instructions in all the inbuilt GPS.

In Fact certain Car manufactures dont let you alter the in built GPS if the Car is moving. Some law or other about maintaining full control of the car, and not wishing to be sued when someone decides not to pay attention and drives into another car, truck or Kid on a bike.

10. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F137 Safari/525.20)

Seriously... Pull over... Stop car... Turn iPhone GPS on... Start car... Drive. Get over it!

11. philgilder macrumors 68000

exactly. i have it turned on and battery lasts for hours with gps use

12. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F137 Safari/525.20)

But yes I agree, leaving location services on uses batery as it's constantly powering the GPS part of the device.

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

So whats the problem with leaving GPS on? I leave mine all the time!

14. Frippe macrumors member

I dont think having Location Services on drains the battery especially much.

Is there any test where one can see the difference in battery life having it on and off?

15. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I've been asked the turn on location services for this application since the 2.0 update so I don't think it is anything new. Before anyone asks, yes it even asked the question on the google maps application that comes with the iPhone.

16. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

It's a different message since 2.1 and it functions differently.

17. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Is the OP really making this big of a deal out of this? Just leave Location Services on. I do and I do not have any battery issues.

I think some really over analyze the battery in the iPhone. I leave 3G, Bluetooth, Location Services all on with no problem. Only thing I leave off is WiFi.

18. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

Turning location services off is a tip i read to reduce battery life yep. Strange that the update has made this more difficult to turn on,, but I cant remember it being any easier to turn off. Maybe they should make the GPS only kick in when you load a location service app and then turn off auto when you close it, that would be cool.

19. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

interesting, what kind of usage time is your battery getting with most things on?

20. philgilder macrumors 68000

i have them all on and my phone will easily last a day and a half, sometimes 2 days

21. alFR macrumors 68020

Er, yes. So don't. :rolleyes:

22. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

If the feature helps people maintain more concentration on the road then I'm all for it... There's too many lackadaisical drivers out there these days... Please people, don't use the Iphone while driving...

For the op, I think you're being a little dramatic... She could have pulled over and set it to find home without any hitch... And because she couldn't so it while driving, is kinda an awkward claim to be calling THAT dangerous...

23. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

We're not in Kansas anymore! What the eff happened to the Ops original concern, lol.

I haven't really noticed/tested out as I really don't see how you can really test that out.

24. aristobrat macrumors G5

Try leaving it on for a day and see if you can notice a difference in battery life.

I've never turned mine off and I've never had a problem with battery life.

I typically unplug my iPhone from the charger around 7:30AM, listen to an hour or two of the iPod, do some text messages, maybe surf the web for 10 minutes during lunch, and by the time I plug it back into the charger around 10:00PM, the battery indicator is almost always still showing full. If I make some calls, it'll maybe drop down one notch.

If Location Services really had an impact on battery, then I would expect to end my day consistently with the battery icon down at least one notch.

The OPs original concern that leaving Location Services turned on was a huge battery drain? I don't think everyone here has that same concern.

25. gibbz macrumors 68030

Why even bother with with leaving it on ALL day? If you know you will be out driving, then turn it on before you leave. When you arrive, then turn it off, thus mitigating the battery loss.