New 2.66Ghz MB pro 320Gb, 5400 or 7200 rpm??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AshyLarry, Jun 15, 2009.

1. AshyLarry macrumors newbie

Hey guys, first post. After all these years using Windows, I've decided to buy the new macbook pro that just came out on the 8th. I am getting the 15" one with the 2.66Ghz processor and the dual video card configuration. Now, I'm debating if I should spend the extra 60 bucks on the 320Gb hard drive and get the 7200rpm hard drive instead of the 5400. I will be using it mostly for school for things such as creating/running programs (computer science course), watching movies, using Word, Powerpoint and excel and just the casual internet browsing. Will there be a huge difference in the noise and heat the faster one produces? I really don't want to regret not upgrading the hard drive with such a powerful laptop. Thanks for the suggestions!

2. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I would be very tempted to upgrade. My friend recently upgraded his older MB to a 320 / 7200. I listened to it (right after boot up) and it was silent, even opening apps. He said the fan does run a little more often but I'm not sure that he's sure about that. I forgot to ask about the battery. I was mainly concerned about the noise.

3. dukeman macrumors member

Buy a drive from some other vendor and do the upgrade yourself. Pop out the 500 and throw it in a USB enclosure for a backup drive / scratch drive.

4. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I just bought a WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200 rpm drive for 80 shipped. Instead of paying Apple 60 for the upgrade, buy a new one and like someone else said, put the stock HD into an enclosure as an external.

eV

5. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

For what you'll be doing, it won't have any difference 7200 or 5400.

For your info, the 320GB 5400rpm drive in the 2.66GHz 15" is a Hitachi Deskstar 5K320 if you wanna look up the specs for it.

6. AshyLarry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the info and opinions guys, but I'm still not too sure what I'm gonna go with. The upgrade is 56 bucks canadian. I already ordered a WD 400Gb portable hard drive for 100 bucks which was a pretty good deal.