Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New 20GB, 30GB and 40GB Toshiba Drive Specs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Toshiba's FTP site provides documents on their hard drives... including the yet to be announced 20GB (updated), 30GB and 40GB 1.8" Hard Drives. Toshiba's current 5GB, 10GB, and 20GB 1.8" models are used in Apple's iPod.

The files include Product Specs, Tech Notes and Agency Approval/Certificate documents for all models including the new 20GB, 30GB and 40GB drives.

Of interest, the 20GB, 30GB and 40GB have 2MB of cache. In terms of size requirements: the 30GB and 40GB are 8mm high (the same as the current 20GB drive) however, the new 20GB drive comes in at 5mm (same as the 5GB and 10GB drives).

Word of the 40GB Toshiba drive leaked out last week with a link posted on their product page. That link has subsequently been removed.

5GB iPod supplies have been dwindling, spawning much speculation of impending updates... and while hints have been dropped... no definitive information is available.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
These files will likely get pulled shortly...

Attachments

• toshibaftp.jpg
    toshibaftp.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 3,235
Comment

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
40 GB iPods inevitable

I think 40 gig iPods should be right around the corner then. It will be great to not only be able to store all your music and backup a good portion of your hard drive all on one iPod (for most people at least).

Comment

kmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2003
Thailand
I posted this elsewhere as well but it seems more appropriate here so I'd post it again:

Yes I think it's possible, I just called the person I know at the Apple store to check whether they have the current 17" iMac in stock, she strongly advised against buying it, saying that it would be updated as soon as Tuesday (Feb 4). She also hinted to me about the iPod announcement on the same day, but wouldn't tell me whether it's just a price cut or a product update.

Comment

cliffm

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2002
Orlando, FL
I'm thinking this week sometime. My 20gig from apple is still delayed and the ship times have changed back to 1-2 days from 5-7 days.

Comment

kmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2003
Thailand
I had the original 5gig but couldn't resist buying the 10gig as well when it came out. But I think I will have to skip it this time if it's only an updated capacity.

Now if they add FW800 and a color screen....

Comment

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by kmac
I don't own one but there is something nice about the b&w screen. It just seems functional and minimalist.

i_b_joshua

Comment

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by kmac

Don't forget that a color screen will decrease the battery life significantly.

Comment

synp

macrumors member
May 22, 2001
40GB pretty big for an iPod

Is anyone constrained for space with a 10GB iPod? 40 is pretty big for just music and contacts.

IMHO they will show up in a new DLD.

<speculation>
Maybe a digital album for unloading a digital camera. Best thing would be a device capable of unloading images from the digital camera (as a master) yet able to connect to a computer (as a slave), and able to preview both jpegs, tiffs and AVI movies.

It will have a 7.5" color screen for displaying the images plus a B&W small LCD for conserving battery.
</speculation>

Anyway a 40GB music-only iPod looks a bit much.

Comment

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Big iPods

Bigger is not always better and for an MP3 player 40GB would be overkill. Still, if Apple can sell them at roughly the same price as these drives would cost without the MP3 functions then I am all for the update. I just wish it had more functions, like video for example.

Comment

KLFloyd

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Gainesville, FL
Re: 40GB pretty big for an iPod

Originally posted by synp
Anyway a 40GB music-only iPod looks a bit much. [/B]

No, not if the iPod was bootable. I know the iPod is suposed to be a bootable HardDrive but did you know you can't load Jaguar on an iPod wihout using shareware? The max OS iPod supports is 1.5.3.

I'd love to backup my music and my entire HD on my iPod then go plug it into someone else's computer and have my computer right there in my pocket.

As for the FW800, I hope it's an option, but not required. First off, I don't think the iPod can even take advantage of FW800 and secondley a very small percentage of the Apple users our ther have made the switch to FW800. If they waited another year to implement it that maybe an option

Also, can anyone give me any history on when the iPod was first introduced how popular was FireWire on Apple machines? I know all the machines had firewire but how long have all the machines supported FW?

Thanks...
Here's hoping for updates tomorrow! :)

Comment

GrandShenlong

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2002
Michigan
I don't think Apple will put FW800 on iPods anytime soon, since the current Toshiba hard drives use only half the bandwidth of FW400. Unless Apple decides to put a 15,000 rpm drive in their new iPods, chances are, they'll stick with FW400. On the color screen matter, the iPod was designed first and foremost as an mp3 player, and it fills this role superbly. Thus, I don't think Apple will come out wiht a major revision to the iPod design, though I think a completely new device is doubtful for now (or maybe they've been delaying their big announcement to finish the new device?)

Comment

woodsey

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2001
PRICES???

These big drives sound expensive. i was just about to save up fo a 5 gig cheapie.

Lets hope they keep a cheap low end model.

Comment

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
If you notice, the 5GB iPod isn't available to purchase from the online apple store anymore.. (it's been this way for a week now but I haven'te seen anyone mention it).. and it's weird how people are still speculation about the 5gb ipod being eol'd.. as far as that goes.. .it has been... but they should be dropping prices for the 10gb and 20gb...

hope they use the new 20gb drive... and 40gb?? come on! this is ridiculous! think about powerbook/ibook users! for them to have 40gb of mp3's would be nuts! those laptops recently shipped with only 40gb of space .. now they have some 60gb for laptops, but could you really spare 40 of them for mp3s (to transfer toyour ipod?!?)

I"m guession apple would only use the 40gb (even 30gb for that matter) for use in a video enable ipod that has the wonderful video out port found ont he ibook and powerbook 12".. (size of a headphone jack and i believe doubles as a headphone jack when not using the special apple video cable adapter...) i'd say it'd be pretty dern sweet if you ask...

Comment

TheInevitable

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Arizona
Can you use the iPod as an external drive? Like if I'm editing video in iMovie, but I only have 10GB HD on my PB, can I use the iPod and work off my iPod? If so, I would get one.

Comment

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by DannyZR2
If you notice, the 5GB iPod isn't available to purchase from the online apple store anymore.. (it's been this way for a week now but I haven'te seen anyone mention it)..
Actually there have been a couple of threads on this. One of them was at great length.
hope they use the new 20gb drive... and 40gb?? come on! this is ridiculous! think about powerbook/ibook users! for them to have 40gb of mp3's would be nuts! those laptops recently shipped with only 40gb of space .. now they have some 60gb for laptops, but could you really spare 40 of them for mp3s (to transfer toyour ipod?!?)
What if they use the iPod for file backup as well? And what about those who use a firewire drive for their MP3s? Better yet, what about those people with PowerMacs?

Also, people can use the manual transfer mode and wipe the MP3s off their computer afte rit is on the iPod if they wanted to encode more music.

Also, the TiBook had a 48 gig drive available over a year ago, and a 60 gig drive has been available since the end of April last year.
I"m guession apple would only use the 40gb (even 30gb for that matter) for use in a video enable ipod that has the wonderful video out port found ont he ibook and powerbook 12".. (size of a headphone jack and i believe doubles as a headphone jack when not using the special apple video cable adapter...) i'd say it'd be pretty dern sweet if you ask...
I think your guess is wrong. If you had read the other threads on the possibility of a 40 gig iPod, you'd know at least some people who post on these boards have a use for it.

Comment

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Originally posted by TheInevitable
Can you use the iPod as an external drive? Like if I'm editing video in iMovie, but I only have 10GB HD on my PB, can I use the iPod and work off my iPod? If so, I would get one.
Yes you can. I did before I sold my iPod. But: it's not very fast but otherwise it works well.

Comment

smashedapart

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2002
I'd buy THAT for a dollar!

I can honestly say that I could use a 40 gb iPod...in fact, I'm waiting for its release. With 40 gigs, I could carry all of my music and backup everything on my computer AND my wifes computer. All together it adds up to about 35.2 gigs of data...22 of which would be mp3s.

This would be *awesome* because not only would I have my whole computer with me at all times, I'd also be able to listen to music, check my calendar, and look up phone numbers. Plus: all of my stuff is backed up. If my harddrive ever crashes, I can always use one of the several pieces of software available to retrieve my music again.

If Apple were to release this iPod, then update their Backup software to work with it...you'd have a great combination.

-- smashedapart

Comment

nodmonkey

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Hampshire, UK
overkill?

if apple release new ipods, but NOT a 40GB model i will be very unimpressed :mad: . sure thing, most people don't need that kind of space for just mp3s, but i expect i will do before i want to buy a new portable music player (after the ipod i hope to get). my collection stands at just under 23GB right now, and the extra space would be good for expansion and for other data back-up.

40GB is not for most people, but it definitely has a market (even if that's just me!) :D . and saying that people who have portable macs won't have large mp3 collections to fill a pod is just not true. daisychaining with external firewire harddrives does the trick for me.

(ps. i'm a post virgin no longer) :)

Comment

vanillamike

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Just give me the super slim 20 GB ipod for the price of the current 10 GB and you have a deal!!!

Its funny the first thing I noticed when I read the news was that the 20 GB was going to be slimmer. I went looking at the super slim 10 GB at my local apple retailer and it is beautiful. I can't wait for the revision.

Mike

P.S. 40 GB would be nice, 20 GB for music 20 GB for portable hard drive. Just wish I could afford it because I imagine it will cost way too much for my budget.

Comment

jmurnik

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2003
NC
I just checked out the Apple store and found 10 Gig iPods with a 1-3 day shipping. Seems a little strange if Apple is supposed to come out with new iPods. Especially if by your accounts that size doesn't even exist anymore. Maybe another reason one might have to think about is I just bought a 10 Gig iPod so no way could Apple release one now.

Comment

Village

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Austin, Tejas
Personally, I hope Apple releases an iPod with the biggest drive possible and all the bells and whistles attached. No, I wouldn't buy it, but maybe just then I could afford a refurb 10gig model once the price shift happens.

(very first post for this MR troll!)

Comment

MacRETARD

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2003
The problem with larger drives...

The problem is that iPods with these larger drives are going to weigh more. The 40 gig drive will weigh twice as much as the 20, and *8* times as much as the 5 gig iPod! I personally prefer the light weight.

Comment

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: The problem with larger drives...

Originally posted by MacRETARD
The problem is that iPods with these larger drives are going to weigh more. The 40 gig drive will weigh twice as much as the 20, and *8* times as much as the 5 gig iPod! I personally prefer the light weight.
I suspect your username here sums you up, and that I shouldn't be responding, but for those who believe what you just posted...

Hard drive capacity has very little to do with weight. The newer drives have a higher data density, so they'll weigh about the same as the older drives.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.