New 23" ACD bigger than my 6 month old 23" ACD!! Anyone else have this 'Problem'

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by anim8or, May 11, 2008.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I recently purchased my second 23" ACD and noticed when i placed my two ACDs together the new one is about 2 or 3 mm taller than the older one?

I put it down to tolerances in production, the slightest degree different in angle somewhere on the display ultimately causes a difference to another display.

I was just wondering if anyone else had come across this kind of thing.... it really does bug me that i cant put these two displays flush with each other (kinda the reason i stuck to 23" instead of 20" or even 30"!)

2. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I reckon the most likely cause of this is the bend in the stand.

If the bend was slightly tighter on the taller display it would lower it a little. If you have the tools it would be very easy to remove the stand, stick it in a soft jawed vice and give the bend a tweak :)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

With submillimeter precision over a throw of ~40cm? You'd need that level of precision to do any better than they've already done.

I think if the deviation is really 2-3mm, then it's a pretty reasonable tolerance. If you want them to top align better than that, you really ought to configure your setup so that the common referential is closer to the top of the screen (e.g. wall mount them both).

But it seems easy to achieve a tolerance tighter than 2 mm because you can put a stick across the tops of the screens and see if it's level. That's not a very reasonable for measuring them, though, because the assembly is already constrained on the other side -- so it's overconstrained in this configuration. Even the flatness of your table is probably on the order of 750 microns -- which is about 20-30% of the overall range you're describing.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

I have two 30" ACDs that I bought at the same time. I keep them flush next to each other. I'd never noticed it before, but after reading your post I looked closely and I see that one is 2-3 mm taller than the other.

I don't get what the big deal is.

5. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of my ACDs sitting flush at as close a vertical angle to each other as possible, on a level desk surface.

Its not really a huge deal, i t would be great to have them sitting together in the this configuration all the time but seeing the gap just annoys me!

Its a relief to hear of others with similar tolerance differences.

6. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

If you beat it with a sledge hammer, sure, you'll screw it up.
    I'm a tinkerer by nature, and model maker, and as long as you go about it gently, small amount of force followed by a test fit, it should be exactly the same as the other :)

Of course, you could always get some material, ply wood or something the same thickness as the difference in height and put it under the stand.
    You could even cut it to match the base :D

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think that's actually a good idea... shimming it would probably actually be the easiest solution.

8. J-mizzle macrumors newbie

Hah, that's immediately what I thought when I read the original post. Just fold over a piece of paper a few times or get a magazine or something, cut it to size, and put it under the stand. If you do it right it'll be sturdy and everything and fix your annoying little gap. And you don't have to risk breaking the stand (or messing it up worse). Brilliant!

9. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Good suggestions, i would never try and fix it myself of course.

The idea to place a small piece of wood under it is probably the best bet, and the neatest.....

...as for the suggestion of folding paper or a magazine! Are you kidding!!!!!
    Why would i cheapen the look of such superb looking equipment!

Thanks all!

10. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

I had the same problem. Just shoved a piece of a matchbook under the stand and they line up great.

:D

11. Keebler macrumors 68030

lmao.

you know what's scary, someone might actually read that post and do it.
    (hopefully not the OP, but there are real numbnuts out there).

lol

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Just hold one up until their even. Whats so hard?

13. kingkezz macrumors regular

14. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I'm curious. Are the measurements of the two lcd pannels the same? Could you give us a corner to corner measuerment of the screens, and not the cases?