New 27" 2nd display for an iMac _OR_ New iMac with the old one as 2nd display?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by *wookie*, Mar 27, 2013.

1. *wookie* macrumors newbie

My loooong-serving "Formac Gallery 2010" display finally keeled over and died. I need a replacement for a dual-monitor setup.

The simple solution would be to buy a new display. However my iMac will need upgrading soon anyway so maybe I should take this opportunity to get a new one and use my existing iMac in Target Display Mode as a second display.

My question is, is this viable for long-term use? Any caveats and gotchas I should be aware of?

I'd need it to behave just like a second display in all respects other than that it has a (potentially useful) second Mac inside it. I rarely shut down or restart my MAc but I'm concerned that sleep/wake behaviour might be odd, and specifically that the desktops I have set up (with specific window and palette arrangements across both displays) would get frequently reset to a single display layout. This would drive me crazy and I suspect it's likely… anyone had experience trying this sort of setup for regular use?

2. Malacoda macrumors member

What is the potential resale value of your current iMac? If you could throw it up on Craigslist or eBay and use the sale to pay for a new 27" Cinema Display, that seems the ideal choice. While having the older iMac as a backup machine seems potentially handy, I'd still rather have a dedicated display than a second machine acting as a display. The fewer tech parts involved in any given function, the better.

3. *wookie* thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point, I'll look into it. Given that the optical drive is flakey and the screen has developed a few flaws though I doubt I'd get enough for it to be honest. I think I'd rather keep it around one way or another though.

4. Malacoda macrumors member

Fair enough. I recently traded my Core 2 Duo 24" iMac straight across for a new/current base model Mac Mini, and so I was thinking a 27" iMac should easily sell for enough to get close or equal to a 27" Cinema display.