New 30" HP ZR30w - $1,299 - Looks REAL Interesting

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SoCalRich, Jul 1, 2010.

1. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

I have been waiting for the new 27" ACD like so many others here. While waiting, I just ran across this review on the brand new HP ZR30w S-IPS/H2-IPS panel monitor on the AnandTech web site.

I was VERY impressed with the specs. This looks like a whole new generation and spec for the 30" display segment of the market...

Here's my thoughts and plan...

I have a new 17" MacBook Pro i7. I'm thinking this would be a beautiful monitor to hook up for Photoshop & Lightroom editing. I would go with a MonoPrice mini/regular display port hookup. I could then use my 17" MBP as a second monitor. This sounds like a sweet setup to me.

Any thoughts...? any reason this setup wouldn't work....?

Any & all comments would be much appreciated...

2. raftr macrumors regular

I think $1300 is the price of ACD 30"s in the US Apple refurb store - you just need to wait for one to pop up there. Likely, the refurb stock is updated in the middle of the night, like it is in European stores.

I bought a used 30" recently and I would never swap it for a glossy 27".

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Sounds like a better bet than the Apple's 30 inch which is a bit long in the tooth now. We're talking about a six year old panel versus the latest in IPS technology.

Unless you are devout to an Apple only setup get the HP display.

4. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

The problem that I'm finding with the 30" ACD's is that it's 6 year old technology. I work with Photoshop and Lightroom and really need the Adobe RGB color space. The color gamut of the Apple display is quite a bit smaller than Adobe RGB. That is unworkable for me.

I agree about "glossy screens" though. I only like to work with matte displays. I am now starting to look at the Eizo and LaCie displays. More $$$$ though...

5. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

I totally agree... (The MAJOR downside to the HP ZR30w is the glossy screen... ) I was was WRONG...!!! The ZR30W has a MATTE DISPLAY...!!!

The only thing I'm "devout" to is image quality, weather it be on an Apple, HP, Eizo, LaCie or NEC diaplay. There are a lot of choices out there.

The lack of the Apple ACD's bability to display the full Adobe RGB gamut pretty well knocks Apple ACD's out of any consideration at all.

I've been holding out hope for the new 27" rumored to be coming out soon... BUT, I'm getting tired of waiting. Without any kind of release date from Apple I could be waiting a very LONG time...

6. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

ZR30w has a MATTE screen - good for Photo Editing

• This does have a MATTE screen.
    • Comes with a 3 year, in home service and warranty.
    • For an extra $159 it goes out to 5 years.

I'm liking this machine more an more...!!! :D

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Unless HP guarantees no dead or stuck pixels like Dell does with its UltraSharp series I'd avoid HP like the plague.

You should get a display of this caliber free from any defects. If you buy an HP display and it needs to be returned or exchanged because of defect you are in for a world of pain. HP support is abysmal. HP quality is iffy. You are more likely than not to have to replace the first unit you receive. If anything you are better off buying this from Amazon than HP. Actually you are better off buying it from anybody than directly from HP.

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

It has no scaler and OSD, so setting it for accurate colors will be a bitch.

9. dyn macrumors 68030

The difference in 6 year old panel technology vs modern day panel technology (dunno if it is the latest) is not that much. There is a much bigger difference regarding the inputs of the displays. The HP does DisplayPort so you only need a mDP-DP cable if you have a recent Mac but if you don't, you'll need the expensive and very overpriced mDP-Dual Link DVI adapter from Apple and pray it will work (for a lot of people it doesn't). The adapter will set you back 99 $/€ making the 30" ACD more expensive as well.

The HP is not only cheaper, it is more modern and it will work with old and current Macs without any problems. It outclasses the 30" ACD at every level so I'd most definitely go for the HP.

10. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

With proper calibration tools (Eye One, Spyder, Blue Eye etc) this is no problem. It is set by software.

With a panel of this caliber, or any panel for that matter, that is used for photo editing has to be calibrated for color accuracy.

11. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

Thanks for the heads up...

12. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I'm looking at this unit for my Macbook Pro.

HP's service on the consumer stuff, along with quality does suck....but their higher end stuff is great.

If people are interested I could put a package together with the HP ZR30W, with 5 year, on site 9x5 support for a reasonable price.

We're obviously a HP reseller. I'll totally agree I would not sell their consumer stuff to my worst enemy but with HP Care you move up to business class care and it's a different world.

13. mangrove macrumors 6502

I bought one and have had it about 2 weeks now. Just what I wanted especially since got tired of waiting for an Apple 30" update.

It comes with a Dual Link DVI cable, DisplayPort to DisplayPort, USB (since it be used as a 4xUSB hub).

Like someone said it comes with a 3 year warranty, did not know I could extend it. The Apple Dual Link cable would cost another $100. for use with an ACD.

Bought a 6 foot DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable from KanexLive for $15. I did not load the CD-ROM that came with it, but OS 10.6.4 recognized it immediately and auto set it to 2560x1600.

I use it on my Mini which I agree sounds like over kill, but I needed the bigger screen.

CONS-No camera, no magnet charger for a Air or MB whatever, no speakers.

Have a cheap HP longish speaker coming for $25. that will sit under and behind it. Never have used my camera as yet after having Macs now for 3 years.

Trust this helps.

14. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

i am never ever ever never ever never gonna get another HP display again after my experience with the 2475lp screen, half the screen was pink cast, the other half had a green cast. Hong Kong offered zero support for it, so I bought a 30" acd and gave the HP screen to my dad. Extremely happy with the 30" acd, enough gamut for me at least.

15. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

One clarification about Dell's UltraSharp display guarantee: They will replace the display if there are any bright pixels. They don't mention dark or dead pixels:

So if a pixel is dead and/or dark I suppose by the letter of their guarantee they wouldn't replace the display.

As for HP, never buy directly from HP. They have terrible service. You are much better off buying it from Amazon because if there is a dead pixel and you want to exchange the display HP won't and Amazon will. Or at least Amazon will easily and HP will if you want to spend 8-10 hours on the phone.

16. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

HP does not allow for any dead or bright pixels per their spec on the 30"

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00288895&dlc=en

Believe me I've had my run around with HP also but if 5 minutes into the conversation you don't get what you want, speak to someone else or call back.

On site service solves those problems, you get someone who speaks English and you can point out the spec to.

There is a huge difference in ordering from the business side and the consumer side when dealing with HP.

17. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

I'm actually using an LP2475W which has been running strong for well over a year now. It's a great monitor with excellent color reproduction and load of ergonomic features. The build quality is great, the monitor won't fall off of my desk even if I push it, unlike my studio display. You definitely won't be disappointed if you choose HP over apple.

18. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I'm ordering one from my supplier today. Should get it by Tuesday and see how it is.

First one is going to my wife to hook up to her 9400M Macbook, be interesting to see how it looks. I've read great things about them and the price is for sure right.

19. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

I ordered mine from Mac Mall. I am very happy with it. Very fast delivery, 3-4 days. Good communication with MacMall. Good people to do business with. No dead pixels etc. I feel good with the decision I made.

It is BEAUTIFUL... did I say LARGE... LOL.... Plugged it into my MBP... No probs... started right up.

20. macintel4me macrumors 6502

I just ordered this monitor from costcentral.com for $1175 after shipping. I can't wait to *finally* get a large monitor after waiting years for Apple to upgrade their display. I'm really looking forward to the wide color gamut too.

21. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Since the HP ZR30w is wide gamut, it will look like crap in non-color managed applications, which is basically every application aside from Photoshop. No calibration tool in existence can fix that, or even make it tolerable.

The 30" Apple Cinema Display may be old, but it is sRGB (i.e., not wide gamut), and therefore, will be able to display colors on a Mac more accurately in almost every application aside from Photoshop.

22. Crunch macrumors 6502a

Crunch

When were the Cinema Display models refreshed last? The screen on the latest iMac models are impressive, although I would appreciate higher pixel density.

That said, is the 24" Cinema Display comparable to the 21.5" and 27" iMac displays as far as brightness, IPS, LED-backlight, black levels, color gamut and accuracy, etc., are concerned?

23. olletsocmit macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

24. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

NOT TRUE.... The screen is incredible even when viewing "non color managed" apps. I am very happy with what I see. I would suggest that you sit down in front of one, like I did (a 3065), before you draw any conclusions. It just might surprise you... like it did me...

Being as though I use Photoshop and Lightroom working in an Adobe and ProPhoto RGB Color space, wide gamut is VERY important for me. I tried to find any kind of calibration information on both the 24 & 30 ACD. I even called Apple Tech support. No one could give me any information at all. I really wanted to by an ACD but with the lack of information out there I couldn't take a chance. I work a "closed process" environment so I control my color space from the camera, to the monitor to the printer. Good color management is critical to producing good prints.

That said, is the 24" Cinema Display comparable to the 21.5" and 27" iMac displays as far as brightness, IPS, LED-backlight, black levels, color gamut and accuracy, etc., are concerned?[/QUOTE] Like I said above... Try to find any definitive information on either the 24" or the 30" ACD... Even Apple doesn't have it available for the public OR their private data base for tech support... I wonder why????

That's exactly what I thought... at first... Then I got edgejamacated... :D Have you done any research on the difference between a TV screen and a computer monitor??? There is a WHOLE lot more to LCD technology the 1080p if you need good color management... which a TV screen DOESN'T offer. It's apples and oranges my friend. I had to learn a WHOLE bunch about the technology that goes into a LCD screen. Here is a good place to start... if you're interested... This is just the starting point... :D

25. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

Resolution.