New 30in Monitor and Dual Link Cable Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Greenhoe, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm going to be purchasing a ACD 30in Monitor soon. I was wondering if there is any difference between Apple's Dual Link DVI cable compared to the ones you can find online for $15.00, I figure it is just apple over charging on all their peripherals but I wanted to make sure before I go out and get a Dual Link DVI cable online.

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What cable? The Cinema Display cable is proprietary. You have to use Apple's.

If you mean the adapter for Mini DisplayPort, that is also proprietary. You have to use Apple's.

3. Greenhoe thread starter macrumors regular

I'm talking about the Dual Link DVI cable that you'll need to hook up the 30 ACD. That is proprietary? I thought you need to buy the Dual Link DVI cable which apple sells for $99, but they also sell Dual Link DVI cables on other sites much cheaper, as I'm connecting the monitor via dvi not MDP

4. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

The cable is NOT proprietary. It's just a plain Dual Link DVI cable. You can use any Dual Link Cable and it should work. DVI is DVI.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What cable is this that you're even talking about? Connecting it to what? If you're able to connect it to DVI, you don't need an adapter.

DVI-I is NOT DVI-D, though.

6. Greenhoe thread starter macrumors regular

Alright here is what I'm doing, I'm connecting my 24 ACD via MDP to my Mac Pro and the 30 ACD to my Mac Pro via DVI, although I was under the impression you need a Dual Link DVI cable with the 30 ACD to get full resolution and that a Dual Link DVI cable is not included with the 30 ACD.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It comes with a cable. It HAS to come with a cable because USB, FireWire, and power are all truncated into said cable. You're fine.

Oh, but you'll need a FireWire 400 (female) to FireWire 800 (male) plug adapter to use the FireWire ports on your 30", provided you have a Nehalem Mac Pro.