New 4S on Release Day, Battery Dying Faster? Anyone Else Notice this

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok, so 100 million threads all over, but it seems to me after just 9 months, my battery is getting worse on my 4S.

Got mine release day and now after a full 100% charge, I unplug it and with very little running, no push mail or icloud, and notifications and Location services to a bare minimum, I drop from 100 to 83 in less than an hour doing nothing with the phone. I just recalibrated it, but still no good, anyone else notice this and is Apple replacing phones because of poor battery life?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

well you are still within the 1 year warranty, take it to apple and they will run a test on the battery. If it is defective, they will replace it for you for free

3. simpleman208 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I had the same problem. I made an appt. at the genius bar and they just replaced my phone.

4. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Good to know bc the last few times I went to Apple, they would not replace it, stated battery was within it's limits? what ever that means to them, it is not the same for me.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Battery life isn't affected just by the battery. If the battery is within specs and you have poor battery life then it's your usage -- whether it's something you're aware of or not.

6. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It seems like something is still using your battery. A 17% drop in one hour? That's something most people only see when they actually use their phones.

Go to Settings > General > Usage and look at the Usage vs Stand-by time. If there are 60 minutes of usage, than you'll know something is definitely running in the background.

If that's the case, than probably one of your accounts (whether that is hotmail, gmail, iCloud) is probably screwing up things (in other words: your accounts settings are probably corrupted). If that's the case, I'd advise you to delete all accounts (under "E-mail, contacts, agenda" (I believe)) and add them again. Let it synch everything again and than restart the device (by turning it completely off and than turning it on again). This will, hopefully, solve the problem.

7. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Can you tell a huge difference between what you had and the replacement?

Mine, just recently, started having the 'battery issues'. Now, pretty much everyday, I have to plug it in around 3 in the afternoon.

Thanks.

8. simpleman208 macrumors newbie

Definitely. Although, time will tell... It reminds me of what happened with the 3GS. I had to get 2 replacements in less than a year due to battery overheating/fast drain issues.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Do a full backup. I recommend to your computer, just for speed and ease of restoration. Restore as a new phone. Give it a day, and see what your battery is like. IME, this is often an issue with setting/installs/whatever else random on the phone and not necessarily the phone itself.

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

hmm

Usage Time: 8 hours 11 minutes
    Standby Time: 2 Days 10 Hours

@ 29%

This is on my 4S. So far have no issues.

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

the iPhone 4 was the best experience I ever had with a phone battery. the 4S is the worst.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Good advice and an interim step is to simply turn the phone off and back on (guaranteed to terminate all running processes). ;)

13. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Actually in the last few weeks I have noticed mine seems to be worse, chewing 20% overnight where it used to be 5% or less. I expect it is an issue with a process playing up, but a reboot has done nothing so far, still doing it at the moment.

I normally put the phone on charge overnight so have not noticed it, but a new "wallet" case wont allow the charging on my dock at the moment.

14. Arni99 macrumors regular

I sold my October 2011 4S 64GB for 585 Euro and purchased a new 32GB 4S today for the same amount of money ;). I will not upgrade when the new iPhone hits the stores. With the new one a 30min-call made the battery go from 100% to 99%...sounds good to me.
    :p

15. lthompson macrumors member

Wish I could get that kind of usage from mine. Usually a hair over 4 hours is it. Got mine release day. And I have found that it doesn't vary that much with things turned off or on.

16. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Similarly, I bought an iPhone 4 on launch day and the battery was consistently great for nearly exactly a year. As soon as my iPhone was out of warranty, the battery degraded quite a lot over a short period of time. I am still using it but the battery is not great. If I am out all day then I will be in red before I get home.
    My advice, if it is really bad, get it replaced before your apple care runs out.

17. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Tried, Apple said the battery was fine and it was a software thing, so they redid the FW, however still the same problem. I now have a Mophie Power Pack Plus which gives me a solid 1.5 days. I am due for an upgrade on 5-2013, prefer not to pay for Applecare, however I may next time around, just because I am ok with using a phone for 2 years, even though I get an upgrade every 16-18 months.

18. bunts macrumors member

Funny this thread came up now as I have the same problem. Started about a month ago.

Right now after taking my phone off charge at 7am it's down to 46%, i've made 3 calls (all less than 10 mins) and not used my phone for anything but email, maybe once or twice. The rest of the time it's been on standby.

Nothing running in the background that i can see.

19. TurnTronics macrumors member

I have been experiencing the same thing. Since day one, I noticed the battery on my 4S did not last as long as my 4 with no difference in usage.

There are mornings when I take my phone off the charger to check emails, and within 10-15 minutes my battery is down to 93%. Have been debating taking the phone to Apple.