New 5S, how to get AT&T activated ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pdxa4, Sep 23, 2013.

1. pdxa4 macrumors 6502

Silly question I'm sure, but here we go anyway...

I'm a AT&T iPhone used since 2007.

Last one I had was a 4S, grandfathered unlimited user.

Received my 5S today (which was ordered from AT&T), and plugged it into iTunes - used the restore from backup option to get the data onto my phone.

All of that was successful, so my 5S is up and running ok.

Only thing is, it has not connected to AT&T network yet, I was not asked anything in iTunes also. What should i do to get the data and phone turned over from my 4S to this new 5S ?

Thanks.

2. fark macrumors regular

Does your current phone have the same number?

If so, did you turn it off?

3. pdxa4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Went into settings menu on my 5S, and under Network is says that "SIM not provisioned"

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, did you try turning the old phone off and/or removing it's SIM card? You may need to call AT&T (if you can, lol) and have them provision it manually.

5. fark macrumors regular

Is my post invisible?

If your current phone has the same number, TURN IT OFF.

6. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Have to call and accept the terms of the line. The old line is still active. You can use any att cell phone and dial *862 then hit call button. Follow the steps to accept the terms of the upgrade.

7. pdxa4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys,

Ok got it up and running, I rang 611 and spoke with a helpful lady, only waiting 5 mins which was pretty good.

Gave them the IMEI and SIM numbers, then turned off both phones - turned the 5S back on and it connected right away. The AT&T person called back to make sure it was ok.

I took the 611 option, the *862 option that Ajones mentioned would have been a good one to use (I had not heard about that one before until he posted)