New 5S question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dirtclod, Oct 29, 2013.

1. dirtclod macrumors member

So I am supposedly getting my Verizon 5S tomorrow! Looking forward to it very much!

I have an iTunes account and used to have a 3G (still do and use it as an iPod and alarm for now).

Also, I currently use a Motorola Droid Razr.

The question is: What do I do when it shows up? How do I activate it? Do I just plug it into my MacBook Air and it sets itself up? What about porting the number to the new phone?

My first iPhone was bought at an Apple store years ago and it's been two years since I had it as a phone and I'm on a new carrier now.

Any tips and suggestions are very welcome! Thanks

BTW, it's a Space Gray 64GB 5S.

2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Did they give you get a new sim? Or do they expect you to put the old sim into the phone.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The phone will likely come with some instructions specific to Verizon, but there's a couple ways it can work.

- you can plug the phone in to iTunes, which will then ask for your phone number and other details and will complete the activation/number port there.

- you can call Verizon customer service when your phone comes and they can do the activation for you.

- I'm fairly certain, though not positive, that you can complete the activation on the phone itself provided you have access to a wifi network for internet connectivity (at least until the activation is complete).

----------

Since the iPhone uses a nano SIM, and the Droid uses either a standard or mini SIM, the phone will almost certainly come with a SIM card pre-installed.

4. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

When it arrives you turn it on and follow the on screen instructions. Since you already have Verizon it will come with a sim card already inside and programmed to your account. You call verizon and they'll activate the IMEI and switch the 5s to being active. You can also do this at verizonwireless.com if you do not want to call in.

5. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

6. dirtclod thread starter macrumors member

I got my 3G about five years ago when it was just coming out. Then I got my Motorola when two years ago. Three phones in five years is hardly excessive on a forum where people get new ones for the most minor 'defect' or at minimum get a new one every six months.