New 7200rpm 320Gb HD - to clean install, or clone the old drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by digitalhen, Apr 1, 2009.

1. digitalhen macrumors regular

I have some thoughts and feeling on this. On the one hand, I'd like a fresh install, to keep that 'new HD' smell, and to wipe out the regret of some invasive apps I've installed in the past.

On the other hand, I don't have much free time, and I've got everything I want on my current install.

So what say you?

Cheers gang!

2. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

i have done it several times, always with SD!

(also 2 month ago to a WD 320gb/7200)

fast, easy and trouble-free.

3. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

I just did the same HD upgrade a week ago in my Mini and MBP.
    For me Carbon Copy Cloner and Winclone (for the XP partition) did the job perfectly...

I was thinking between CCC and SD but as I read there is no significant difference between them so doesn't matter which one you use. I choose CCC because I am using it for scheduled backups anyway.

4. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

have you noticed the 7200rpm drive take way more power than the standard 5400rpm? Thinking about upgrade my hdd as well.

5. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I always do a fresh install. It helps me get re-organized. It may just be the placebo effect, but a fresh install always seems snappier.

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

a direct clone would/should work fine.

otherwise a nice migration (using migration assistant) has been helpful for me lately when upgrading the drives in my MBPs

7. shreddy macrumors regular

Would reinstalling from a TimeMachine backup be as effective as CCC/SD? Or are there things it leaves out??

8. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

ok, I did this last night and it was very easy. I replaced the original 120/5400 in my MBP with the 320/7200 rpm. I debated using CCC vs superduper vs time machine vs clean install. Decided to go the time machine route via FW. So after hd install and restarting the system it took about an hour to copy 100GB over to the new HD. That was the easy part, the other side is that things are not as fast as I would expect them to be ( I also doubled the RAM to 4GB). I'm thinking to migrate to Snow Leopard as soon as it comes out and then do an install/archive, or maybe I might not wait and just do it with 10.4.6

9. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

+1 for SuperDuper all they way!

10. YahonMaizosz macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Guys,

I am planning to buy the STOCK 17" MBP and upgrade the drive to the 500GB 7200 RPM from Newegg..

This would be my first MAC.. I am curious, would you get a Leopard Install disk with every purchase of a new MAC? Because otherwise, I would not have an operating system to work on when I replaced my new drive..

I would really like to get some tips from someone who had done this HD replacement..

11. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

Yes, you get install disks

12. YahonMaizosz macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Great.. So all I have to do is put the new drive in, Re-Install Leopard and I am done right?

13. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

Step by Step:
    1. put new drive in
    2. boot from optical drive (recovery disks)
    3. run disk utility and format drive
    4. install os

14. YahonMaizosz macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Thx so much!