New adopter, 'colors off on New iPhone'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Menel, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Friend switched to iPhone from an HTC my touch 3G. He thinks colors are broken on his new iPhone.

He sent me this image,
    Left, screenshot of iPhone on HTC android
    Right, iPhone

[​IMG]

I don't imagine there are controls on iPhone to totally bork the hue and saturation on the colors like on the HTC?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Wait, the picture on the left is iOS running on the HTC phone? You can't compare the two. Compare it to another iPhone.
    Also, it does look a little dark. Is the brightness turned up? There are some differences between iPhone displays anyway, as has been been noted numerous times here.

4. Menel thread starter macrumors 603

Menel

There's not THAAAT much difference between iPhones.

Left is screenshot on an HTC. That's what he has to compare to, the colors on the phone he was coming from. It's a valid comparison for the topic at hand.

My point is, he's been trained to like and expect the blown out of whack, over saturated images.

5. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I'd tell him to keep the brightness at 100% then

6. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Most Android phones have badly tinted displays. The only difference I've seen is their owners (in my experience) will see and admit it when shown side by side with an iPhone. Samsungs have notably blue tints. You don't even need a reference to see the tint.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's sad, but yeah, tell him to boost brightness to 80% and see if that makes him happy.

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Like others have said he'll just have to turn the brightness up

9. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Does he have one of those anti-glare screen protectors on his iPhone?

10. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

This has GOT to be one of the most bizarre posts in a while . . .

Who would even think to compare how iOS looks on an Android phone to how it looks on an iphone? It's just bizarre . . .

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

No. Its an iOS screenshot on a HTC phone. The phone is not running iOS.

He took a screenshot from his iPhone, sent it to the HTC and is comparing the screen colors.

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

You can see iOS on the left phone. Look at the bottom of the phone on the left. It has Android buttons.

13. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Okay listen up everyone. The OP has 2 phones, HTC and iPhone.

He took a screenshot from his iPhone, SENT that screenshot to the HTC phone.

The screenshot on the HTC is the exact same screenshot on the iPhone. Note the time in the screenshots in the same, and the charging icon.

14. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

I think the OP's friend just wanted to compare to exact images. I've done the same while researching phones. Instead I just went on the web on both phones, and loaded up a picture of Kate Beckinsale from the same site. Then you tell him how horrible those damn Samsung/HTC/whatever else phone display those colors. I think he'll be happy that there's no red blobs on Kate's face on the iphone. :cool:

15. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I'm pretty sure everyone realizes that. What they are saying is that regardless of if its just a picture on the htc, you are still looking at an iphone screen vs an htc phone screen.

Which means its not a valid comparison. You need to look at an iphone vs iphone. Not iphone vs screenshot of iphone on an android powered htc

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

No, its a fine comparison.

OP wants the screen on the HTC to look like his iPhone.

Im compared screens of different model TVs before buying to compare colors, and that is perfectly fine.

Plus, Ive seen iPhone 4/4S with screens like the HTC.

17. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Well if you re-read OP's post. His friend switched from HTC to iPhone. He thinks his iPhone isn't correct because it doesn't look like the HTC.

But you can't compare an HTC to an iPhone to determine if your iPhone isn't working properly.

The only way to do that is to find another iPhone and compare his new iPhone to another iPhone.

Not every screen in the world looks the same. meaning when you went shopping for tv's you wouldn't compare a samsung to a sony and determine that the sony is not working right because it doesn't look like the samsung. They are two different manufacturers and the screens will never look exactly the same.

Get it?

18. Menel thread starter macrumors 603

Menel

Actually, that's a very valid good point.

Since it is long distance and working via pointandshoot/camera phone pictures isn't very good at comparing image quality of LCD screens.

edit: He says he's used iPhone's before and none look like the one he just got... hmmm sending him off to genius bar. *shrug*

19. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

When I compared different model TVs, of course I knew that no screen is the same. That is why I compared colors, and chose the best color temperature I liked the best.

20. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Yup but shopping for a new tv and trying to determine if a phone screen is not properly working are two different things.

This situation in terms of tv's would be like, you bought a new tv (brand 1), compared it to your old tv(brand 2) and thought your new one should be like your old one. However just because it doesn't look like your old one, doesn't mean its broken, but the only way to tell is to compare it to the same kind of new tv. You can't compare the new and old because they are two different brands.

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I see your point. So does OP.

My only advice is too look for an iPhone screen that resembles the HTC as best as it can

22. stickybuns, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

stickybuns macrumors 6502

Compared to my own iPhone, I would say that HTC screen is a bit too blue in the menu bar (should be more of a blue-grey) and the iPhone does have a slight brownish cast that's made even more noticeable because it is next to a phone with a blue hued screen and because the brightness is turned down.

ETA: If we're going to use the image to judge which screen is more accurate, the answer will always be the iPhone because that menu image and colors were specifically made for the iPhone. If you were to take a screen shot of the HTC's menu screen, the HTC would be the better device for displaying the image.

A better test would be to photograph a real world object and compare the screen image to the real world object.

23. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Now how about make a screenshot of Android menu on htc and do this test again. Should've done this for both phone's screenshot.

24. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Neither one is great to be honest when you're comparing them side by side like this. The Android one looks too bright, overexposed, and has a blue, purple-ish tone. The colors it shows aren't true. The iPhone one looks too dark and washed out and underexposed. But the colors are true.

25. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Ok that makes sense. The way the OP described it doesn't. It also is trivial that he's comparing a screenshot of an iPhone on an android device.