New Air. Closed the lid last night with 72% battery, opened it this morning with 33%.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Spytap, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Spytap macrumors member

Title pretty much says it all. Suffice to say, it's a weird situation. Time machine shows no backups overnight (last one at 11pm, before I closed it) and aside from Safari, I didn't have any other applications running. Any ideas?

2. dr34mc4st3r macrumors regular

dr34mc4st3r

that's strange. my 11" macbook air barely lost 2% battery over an almost 24 hour period. did u have power nap enabled on battery? or any usb device attached

3. Philip Fry macrumors newbie

Odd... I closed my lid at 67% and it didn't go down at all. I had mail, chrome and itunes open. I don't have time machine setup though

4. Nerio27 macrumors member

5. Spytap thread starter macrumors member

Nope, and bluetooth itself is off.

----------

Also, since I've posted this 14 minutes ago, I've dropped to 27% battery, estimating 2:20 remaining. In that time I've also quit and restarted Safari, but that's the only application running.

6. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

The new MBA models from 2012 (I think) and later can check for and download new emails in the background while the lid is closed. Maybe this is activated somewhere.

7. Spytap thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps, but I only had 20-something new emails so unless it decided to do this once every 5 minutes all night, I can't see that being the drain.

8. ylrd macrumors member

ylrd

Try disabling Power Nap.

System Preferences > Energy Saver > (uncheck) Enable Power Nap while on Battery power

But even with Power Nap disabled, that looks like a huge drain to me. Is it an older model?

9. Spytap thread starter macrumors member

I'll give a shot and see - it sucks if that feature doesn't function though. Just looked, and Power Nap is disabled under battery power, and enabled when plugged in. I didn't have the machine plugged in last night.

It's a 2013 model (i5, 8GB, 512) that I've had for three days now.

10. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Tonight, restart your MBA (uncheck 'Reopen Windows...'), making sure your battery % is above 40. Note the current battery %, then close your lid. When you wake up take the battery % and post the change.

Are you running 10.9 or 10.8?
    Was anything connected to your computer?
    Was WiFi on?

In system preferences > Energy Saver >> Battery, can you just confirm that 'Computer Sleep' is less than 15mins.

11. Spytap thread starter macrumors member

Will do on the first bit.

I'm running 10.8, and from what I can tell, I don't actually have a computer sleep slider. I have a Display sleep slider, and the checkbox options for put hard disks to sleep when possible (checked), slightly dim the display while on battery power (checked) and Enable power nap while on battery (not checked) but nothing else of note. (see here) Display sleep is set to one tick above 1 minute, but given that I closed the lid of the laptop, I'd expect the display to have turned off.

12. Spytap thread starter macrumors member

For additional information, I just installed istat menus and here is what my voltage situation looks like right now. Does anyone see anything out of the ordinary?

[​IMG]

13. klover macrumors 6502a

Odd.

Perhaps the first-run indexing of Search was the culprit (or contributing factor).

14. Scrub175 macrumors 6502

Scrub175

just for some comparison, I unplugged my air a couple of nights ago and opened it up today to check battery loss since I read your thread. After two days of sitting I was still at 100% battery. I got my 2013 machine almost two weeks ago and am still on default settings. I did add a time capsule and when I opened the air today the backup started.

so with your air, it could be a run away app/process that didn't go to standby or a bad unit. I hope I offered some helpful info.

15. catalyst07 macrumors member

This. Finder Indexing happens in the first couple days.

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

This is odd. Take it in. I have all my programs running on my 2013 MBA when I close the lid. Battery brain is almost non existent.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I'm guessing it didn't actually go to sleep. In this context, 40% drain overnight in idle is pretty normal.

Maybe check system logs to see if it actually went to sleep that night?

18. johnjey macrumors regular

Which version of istat are you using as i am not able to get such a detailed report in mine :( ?

19. Spytap thread starter macrumors member

The most recent version. I just downloaded it from the website specifically for that menu. It's istat menus, not the widget.

----------

Closed the lid last night at 47%. Nothing connected or plugged in. Wifi was on, bluetooth was off. Dropbox and Google docs were closed and all processes quit. Open apps were safari and mail only. Apple logo on the back went dark when the lid closed. Opened it up this morning to 39%. Still very weird. I may exchange for a different one.

20. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

Got a cat? They like to surf the net when we sleep.

21. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

Easy fix. Every MBA I've had has done this. Just do an SMC reset. Has worked every time for me.

22. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

haha you made my day with that !! :D

i just bought a 11'' model two days ago, the basic, 4g ram 1.3 i5 and 128. tonight i went to sleep around 12 am and it was at 78%, and i woke up at 8 am today and it was at 75%. so 3% in 3 hours, is that ok, normal?

23. Spytap thread starter macrumors member

Giving this a shot.

24. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

Weird.

I had my MBA charged up on Wednesday at 100%. I put it to sleep and went on a 2 day trip. I got home Friday evening, about 48 hours later. I opened it up and it was STILL at 100%.

25. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I had this issue with my brand new MBA. I couldn't figure it out, but kinda-sorta narrowed it down to either Flash, or doing a Migration from a Hackintosh.

I reinstalled OS X, and have not had the issue since. I was only 3 days in, so I didn't really have everything set up, so I wasn't invested yet. It would have sucked if I'd been using it for weeks and a fresh reinstall would be less desirable.