New Airport Express as good as '09 Extreme Base Station?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RedCroissant, Aug 4, 2012.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello everyone.

I saw the specs for the new Airport Express and was wondering how that one compares to the Wireless Extreme Base station that I got in 2009. I don't need 3 LAN ports as I have everything over WiFi, so would the Express work just as well? Thanks to anyone that knows the answer to this.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The late 2009 Airport Extreme has a 3x3 antenna setup. I think the Express has a 1x1 setup. This equates to much faster wireless transfer times and increased range. The Extreme also has gigabit Ethernet ports for faster wired transfers.

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Hey Intell,

Where did you find those specs? I've been looking at Apple. com and they look like they have the same same wireless specs. The LAN ports don't bother me since I have everything set up via WiFi. And how would the 1 x 1 setup affect streaming and connectivity with two iMac and a MBP?

I also offered someone a trade for their new Airport express base station for my wireless extreme base station. Is that just a dumb move?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The specs are found through deduction made by people that have opened up both devices. One has one antenna and one transmit stream. The other has three antennas and three transmit streams. In theory and some real world instances, the 3x3 is three times are fast as the 1x1.

5. hafr macrumors 68030

It might be a very smart move, it might be very stupid. It all depends on what you need. For me, it would be stupid as hell since it wouldn't cover my whole apartment. But if I lived in a smaller apartment and didn't look for maximum power, I would switch it in a heartbeat and put it next to/over/under an Apple TV since they are identical in form except the colour :)