New airport extreme cant connect with D-link surveilance cameras

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macattack123, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Macattack123 macrumors newbie

Hello to the Mac fans out there... I replaced old router to get better coverage in basement of new home... with AE because.... I love anything-Apple. Great coverage on all 3 macs, ipad and 3 iphones anywhere in the house. However, I cannot get my D-link cameras to recognize the wireless connection. I have several cameras... DCS-930l and 932L to keep a close eye on my autistic child. They worked fine with my old router and a different modem. The cameras are "N". I did reset the cameras.

Does anyone know if the cameras are compatible with the Mac router? If not, I have a AE for sale because of course I tossed the box.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Have you tried the cameras using the ethernet connection? That's the second thing I would try.

The first thing would be to make sure you have your Airport Extreme set to broadcast a 2.4 ghz network. The D-Link website doesn't say, but I'm guessing these cameras are 2.4 only. But then again, I think iPhones are 2.4 only.

If that doesn't work, try running your network without WEP/WPA/WPA2 turned on and see if the cameras can see the network.

ft

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I think there is a Mac specific installer on the D-Link site you need to use to reconfigure the camera connections.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I was under the impression that the OP had these cameras working previously with his non-Apple router. I'm also guessing that he had Macs on this network ... as getting an AEBS along with 3 other Macs is probably unlikely.

5. Macattack123 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, Macs plus camera worked with old router

Yes I did have the camera's and all the macs working with old router

----------

Yes the cameras work with the ethernet connection. I will try running with the above off...but what does turning that off compromise?

----------

...there is a mac configuration, but it has kinks so I used my older HP to set up...this worked fine with old router set up.

Something interesting the old HP doesnt only works with ethernet too

----------

Yes the cameras work with the ethernet connection. I will try running with the above off...but what does turning that off compromise? The older PC I used only works with ethernet... maybe you are on to something!!

6. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Check the radio mode in airport utility?

I have mine set to 2.4GHz b/g/n and 5GHz n only (with different names for the 2.4 and 5GHz networks). Hold down option before clicking on radio modes if you don't see all the combinations.

7. erikm611 macrumors newbie

New airport extreme cant connect with D-link surveilance cameras

Plug your IP camera via an eithernet cable to your Airport Extreme via a switch or directly to the router.
    Power on the camera.
    Perform the initial setup and download related to your Ip camera.
    Complete the setup which includes the admin password, email address and password.
    Login to your Dlink IP camera from "Mydlink.com"
    Click on the "settings tab" next to the "Live View" tab.
    Click on "advanced settings".
    Enter the username and password you initially used to setup your Dlink IP camera. It's usually admin, and whatever password you entered.
    A new window will open, www.mydlinkcom/device#----------/settings.
    On the left side toolbar click "Wireless Setup".
    -Wireless settings "enable"
    In the "basic Wireless Settings" box click "site survey".
    Another window will open for all available wireless networks. Click the refresh tab.
    Select your wireless network.
    Back at the Dlink Wireless Setup screen the wireless network you selected will be displayed in the "SSID" box.
    For non-commercial use make sure you select the default "connection mode, Infrastructure"
    The bottom box labeled "WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK Settings". Enter the network password for the infrastructure SSID you selected.
    Click "Save Settings".
    wait for approximately 2 minutes and the Airport Extreme will ask you if want device ip ------ to connect. select always or yes.
    There you go. Unplug you IP cam from the eithernet connection.
    when you position it and give it power again, wait a few minutes for it to connect to the network.
    You're welcome
    E.

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You can do what erik wrote above (if you want to use mydlink), or do what I do with my Extreme.

My preference is not to use the setup software (was very buggy for me) nor mydlink. I use dyndns and port forwarding to access my cameras when I'm away from home.

Power the camera on, fully reset it via the pin hole and connect it via ethernet to the extreme.

Use a browser on your computer to access the camera's setup page via its IP address. Setup the wireless information, and IIRC the camera will likely restart.

Now once back online, disconnect the ethernet and ensure that you still get live video. Go back into setup and change other settings as needed.