New Airport Extreme has been out for a while - Airport Disk Partitions revisited

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spaceballl, Apr 26, 2007.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hey all,

I posted a while back, asking if people had success with Airport Disk and multiple partitions on it. Most people said it was no problem at all. Now that it has been a while, how have your experiences been? Now that Hitachi's 7K1000 is available, I'm going to buy it. Basically, I'd like to partition the 1TB drive into three partitions: 500GB, 250GB, and 250GB. Each one will be a backup for our 3 macs at home. Each mac has a corresponding hard drive size. Can I use some sort of controlled access so each mac only has access to the drive I want it to? Basically, I've read all the reviews I can about the new airport extreme, but I just can't seem to find enough info about multiple partitions, except that it isn't officially supported.

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

You cannot really explicitly limit a certain drive to a certain user, but what you can do is create user accounts (that exists on the AEBX) for each user such that the files they create on the device are not visible by other users.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hmmm okay thank you for that reply. I think I know what you mean. So if I were to just have a hard drive with 4 partitions - or for that matter, for HDs hooked up to a hub to my AE - would all four automatically show up on ever mac that connects to the network?