New AirPort Extreme - internet connectivity…

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dburney, Jan 14, 2013.

1. dburney macrumors member

dburney

I'm posting a thread I started on the Apple Support Discussion boards because I've had many views, but no feedback. Any ideas would be helpful…

Let me start off by saying that I have set up an AirPort network at home. That went off without a hitch. I also have extended the range of my home network vie an AirPort Express - so I'm not stranger to setting up a network. In fact, upgrading the office network (which I manage) is the source of this question.

I have a brand-new, just out of the box AirPort Extreme that I'm using to replace our old Belkin wireless router. Our set up consists of an 8-port Gigabit switch. This is uplinked to the wireless router. The fiber-optic connection comes in through the WAN port of the existing router.

Upon swapping everything out and setting up the AirPort, I can not get it to access the internet via the WAN port. The previous Belkin setting for WAN access is "dynamic" - it might also be worth noting that when upgrading my home network, I moved from this same Belkin router to an AirPort Extreme. The only difference is that I have cable internet at home - but we have a fiber optic connection at the office. When viewing the "Internet" tab in the AirPort Utilitly it is set for DHCP - same as I run it at home. Yet it does not connect to my ISP.

It's also worth noting that I have no problems pulling the plugs and putting them right back into the Belkin and bam, it connects right up. It sees my internet connection. It provides LAN and Wi-Fi access without a hitch. I'm a bit befuddled by this. Is there anything on the ISP end that would be causing this issue?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Every time I have ever installed a new router I have had to reboot the cable/DSL modem to get it recognize the new router. This will cause the modem to recognize the new MAC address and make a connection. Can you reboot the fiber "modem" (for lack of a better word)?

3. dburney thread starter macrumors member

dburney

I had thought of thought - I believe that will take a call to the ISP - there is no box with a power button. It's tied to our phone and there are a series of batteries, etc., blah, blah - I was just curious if anyone had any other ideas before I made the call.

Sounds like a hard reset of the connection will be necessary. I was just hoping to get this done over the weekend with little fanfare. Thanks for the response.

4. dburney thread starter macrumors member

dburney

That did it - quite a pain for set up. Had to call them, they needed me to provide them the MAC address over the phone, put me on hold, reset the connection, wait, wait, wait - ah, green light.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Excellent! Glad it worked out. :)