New Airport Extreme owner, and I need some help...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pb1300, Jan 22, 2010.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

So I currently have a Thomson modem/wireless router connected to my telephone line here in Greece, which connects my iMac, MB, iPhone, and PS3 together. I just received my Airport Extreme today, and I am wondering how I am going to set this up. The issue here where I live is that the telephone line goes directly into the Thomson modem/router, there is no ethernet cable available. I want to get rid of the Thomson, and go with the AE, but I dont know how to connect it since it is just a wireless hub, and not a modem as well. Do I have to get a standalone modem as well, and then piggyback that to the AE? If so, what type of modem should I get? My current package with the phone company here is 24mbs.

Also, what else can I do with the AE? Like I said, I have iMac 2006 model (which will be a 27" i5 model soon), my MB, iPhone, and PS3 connected wirelessly, as well as a HP photosmart printer soon. I am wondering what else are the benefits of the AE. Thanks for the help and experiences.

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

It sounds like you have a DSL/Wireless router combo. You can probably just connect an Ethernet cable from your current router to the AE. You would have essentially 2 networks.

If there is no Ethernet port, and it's strictly wireless, you may have to contact your provider for a stand alone DSL modem, then connect that to the AE.

Post pics if you have any, it may help us to be more helpful.

3. rayward macrumors 68000

Whatever modem you have, it has to be connected to the AE via ethernet in order for the AE to be your network hub. You can attach the AE to an existing wireless network, but then you're not getting any benefits from it in your situation. I can't help you as far as modem recommendations, but a simple one with an ethernet port is all you need as the AE will provide any wireless (and wired) networking.

As far as benefits of an AE, I cannot be certain as I don't know the capabilities of your current modem/router. However, you will be able to run a dual-band network so that your iMac and Macbook can take advantage of the faster 'n' band, while your iPhone, PS3 and maybe your printer run on the 'g' band. This way, everything's networked but also running as fast as possible.

You can use the USB port on the AE for your printer, if it doesn't have wireless capability already, or attach a NAS if you want extra storage, or to take advantage of Time Machine on your Macs. You have top-notch security built-in, too.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

5. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jedi mentioned that I can just turn off the wireless on my current modem/router, and use that as the modem. I ordered a standard netgear DSL modem from my job, so I will see if that works. I know I have to piggyback the modem to the AE, so I appreciate the help on these things.

One question though...the dual-band network you mentioned, is it automatic, or is it something I have to switch to in the settings?

6. rayward macrumors 68000

The first point, I understood that your current modem/router did not have an ethernet port, so you could not use that with your AE.

Regarding the dual-band wifi, it's a simple set-up option within the Airport Utility. You give the bands different names and that's about as complicated as it gets. Your 'n' capable equipment will see both networks, so you choose the faster band for those, while the 'g' or slower equipment will see only the slower band. The AE manual tells you how to set this up, but it's pretty intuitive anyway, once you're familiar with the Airport Utility.