New Airport Extreme Setup - Wireless or Wired For Out-Of-Box Setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by crellion, Aug 16, 2013.

1. crellion macrumors member

Just got the new Airport Extreme and I was wondering for all you Airport veterans out there - how do you guys do your initial setup in the Airport Admin Utility via wireless or wired?

From a security stand-point- does it matter for the initial setup (out-of-the-box) whether you do it wired or wireless when using the Airport Admin Utility? Most of the guides I've seen don't even bother using an Ethernet cable at all to setup the router - is that safe?

This is doing the whole standard security setup btw - including setting the Airport Administrator password and the initial wireless WPA encryption...

2. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

wireless, you can do it with your macbook ,iPad, iPhone etc

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Whichever is easier for you, either is safe. I did wired since wifi is turned off on my Mac.

4. crellion, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

crellion thread starter macrumors member

Really? I thought if it was totally done wirelessly - security-wise - there may be a chance during the initial setup for someone to sniff and capture your Airport Utility setup configuration since when you initially set it up - its through an unencrypted Wifi channel (before you even set the WPA-encryption). Or am I thinking too much into this?

Is the Airport Admin Utility built with secure communication to the base-station from the beginning so this doesn't even happen to begin with (from the initial setup)?

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Probably :D

If it worries you, go ahead & do it wired.