New Airport Extreme: simultaneous dual-band and guest networking?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AGSHender, Mar 6, 2009.

1. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

Anyone have the new Airport Extreme? I have a question about the new features.

I'm interesting in picking one up because I've been looking for a good 802.11n router for awhile, and the simultaneous dual-band radios plus the guest networking feature are the real sellers for me. Both those features exist in part on other routers, but I'd have to put in a lot of work in a DD-WRT compatible router to get them both to work properly.

My question, though, is can both the dual-band radios and the guest networking feature be run simultaneously? It seems that from a hardware perspective, the easiest way to get a second network and SSID running would be to use the second radio, which precludes the dual-band feature. Does anyone have the new Airport Extreme yet? Can you run both at the same time?

2. mntentman macrumors regular

Your post is a few days old, maybe you have an answer by now.

But... yes, a dual-band network with guest network seems to be working on system right now.

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I have mine set to seperate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks on different SSIDs for convenience, and the Guest SSID is working also (so there's technically 3 SSIDs available at any one time).

The only thing I would say is that the Guest functionality is only available if the Time Capsule / Airport Extreme is working as a DHCP server. If you have it set to bridge mode it won't offer the Guest functionality.