New AirPort Extreme vs. Old AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by clayj, Mar 3, 2009.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Simple question: Of the new features in the new AirPort Extreme Base Station, which of these could become available to the old AirPort Extreme Base Station via a software/firmware update? I have to think that at least some of the new features don't actually require new hardware.

Just trying to figure out if I want to shell out $179 for a new AEBS when my current AEBS works pretty well as it is.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'd be suprised if Apple issued an update for the older models. Resellers were trying to dump the old models.

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Dual-band operation requires hardware.

Guest access I would think could be accomplished with software -- isn't "RADIUS" basically a much more sophisticated version of the same thing? You have a login and password it gets you certain access. But if you have another (or none) it gets you more limited access.

4. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I concur on the dual-band, I doubt that can be implemented through software.

5. gr8phan macrumors member

I've been looking for a way to do this. Do any other consumer grade routers / APs offer this, or will I be purchasing the new AE?

6. phlavor macrumors member

Doesn't Apple have a policy that if they update something in x number of days after you bought it, you can exchange it or something? I just bought an Airport Extreme last wednesday.

7. nniicckk macrumors newbie

I would normally agree that simultaneous dual-band would require new hardware. But we don't know if the limitation in the current AEBS (now old) is due to hardware or limited software drivers. It is not unusual for software drivers to limit features supported by the hardware. For instance, many wifi chips from Atheros or Broadcom support multiple simultaneous SSIDs (wifi networks). But the software drivers either don't expose that feature or if they do, the system software does not expose them to the user (you and me).

Multiple simultaneous networks can most certainly be a software update, but Apple may not release it for the old AEBS if the underlying chips are different and the work to back-port the feature is large. (I hope they do!)

Home wifi routers are a volume and margin game for most vendors.

8. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Yes. Give your Apple Store a call and explain the situation. They should let you exchange the one you bought for the new model.

It looks like the only thing that might benefit me about the new AEBS is the dual-band thing... I still have a few B and G wireless devices (iPhone, PSP, Roku SoundBridge Radio). The guest networking option would never get used, and the rest of the new features I don't need or would never use.

9. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

I do hope they release a update.

I have a house full of Wireless-G devices (iPod touches, Nintendo Wii, 2 laptops) while the rest is full of Wireless-N devices (New laptops and iMac). And I just got my AirPort Extreme in Late October/Early November. Dont have the $150 to get a new one.

10. KristenM macrumors regular

Does anyone know if the new Airports are in the Apple Stores today? I'd call but I'm in a meeting and was hoping to head over there as soon as I leave to pick one up. I knew there was a reason I didn't buy one last week!

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

You could buy an airport express and use that for G, with the AExt for N.

12. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

I have a Linksys WRT54G like v1.1...

But the problem with that is it will probably either be too complicated to set up, or might mess things up. (Linksys in G, AirPort in N only).. Connecting both to my modem....

And besides, I think the linksys is going out... It had to be reset about once a week or so.

Edit: I just sent a email to sjobs@apple.com asking him if this feature will be provided to us too.

13. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Well, the dual-band thing is apparently enough for me. I've ordered a new AEBS.

14. mmalto macrumors regular

none of the stores in atlanta have them yet. they are saying by EOW (i went to the perimeter store at lunch). no mini's either, for what it's worth (i want one). only received the new imac's.

15. phlavor macrumors member

I called the San Francisco store (downtown) and they have not received them yet and said that they haven't heard when they will. I'll bet they have them in by the weekend. I'm planning on swapping my recently purchases AirPort EXTREME!!!!1 as soon as they are in.

16. thankins macrumors 6502

I dont see why ppl are freaking out over the dual band stuff. Wouldn't it just be easier and smarter to buy a cheap wireless router and connect it to the old AEBS. That way you have your Wireless N Network and a Wireless G network that is in bridge mode.

That is what I did at my house and it is working great

17. mmalto macrumors regular

if you do a bridge, doesnt it run at the slower of the two networks?

18. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

If you wire'em together then no.

19. tonster macrumors newbie

sorry for the noob question, but what do you mean by wiring them together? currently i have the following setup dsl modem --> aebs --> computers. do i just hook up the wireless g to one of the ports on the aebs?

20. thankins macrumors 6502

Yes you are correct. What I did was take an ethernet cable and run it from a port on my AEBS to a port on the cheap netgear router. Do NOT plug it into the WAN port on the cheap router but one of the other ports. You may also have to go into the cheap router settings and disable DHCP.

This will allow you to have another wireless network for your iPhones and wireless G devices but at the same time allowing them to have access to the AEBS network shares and what not. Works wonderful on my Apple TV setup

21. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

^^^
    What he said. You get the drop in speed only if they're connected wirelessly. But there's no need for that--just put them together in the same room if necessary.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not if you have like 5 APs on your network!

Plus I want good reception, so those G routers don't cut it; if I wanted a good MIMO G-router, it would cost me as much as the AEBS, so why bother then?