New airport extreme won't play with UK virginmedia superhub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dmchapman, May 22, 2014.

1. dmchapman macrumors newbie

:mad:

[[ posted on Virginmedia forums as well but tends to be more traffic here ]]

Hi all,

Been tearing my hair out for the last hour or so - though this would be simple :)

Got a new Apple Airport Extreme today (the ac wireless one) - figured as well as giving me networked timemachine disks it would also let me make the most of my 152Mbit broadband...

Switched the superhub into modem mode (the original, not the new model with dual channel wifi) and plugged in the airport which then fails miserably to DHCP.

Plugging laptop into superhub in modem mode works fine (I'm rebooting it between devices incase it locks onto one MAC addr) and I get decent results like this:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3517150075.png

Likewise, running the airport in bridge mode I can get decent results as well:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3517219929.png

but whatever I try, and whatever order I boot the things in I can't get the superhub in modem mode to work with the airport express as the router - it always fails to get an IP.

All I get is "no internet, no dns" :-(

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s9/sh/eb7bcbd0.

Help! Am I missing something? Or is there some inherent incompatibly with the superhub and the Airport Express??

Thanks,

Darren

2. NukeIT macrumors regular

Does it work if you let the super hub handle the DHCP and put the Extreme in bridge??

If so maybe you are just turning the radio off but not the router function.

3. dmchapman thread starter macrumors newbie

yep, works fine in bridge mode (that's how I got the second of those speed readings).

Pretty sure it's in modem mode - the light on the front goes purple, only one ethernet port works etc etc. Just as I'd expect in modem mode.

Darren

4. wuush macrumors member

Sorry, im missing something here.

What exactly do you want?

You got a internet modem from your internet provider. check

You got the airport extreme as wireless access point (plugged in with a lan cable from internet modem to wan port) check?

What exactly do you want and what doesn't work?

Can you post a screenshot of the configuration page of the internet modem?

5. dmchapman thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, it's all working now. Seems that the superhub while apparantly in modem mode (purple virgin logo etc) it was a little... confused.

A hard factory reset (paperclip in hole for >20 seconds) and then resetting up modem mode appears to have sorted it. AE is now behaving properly.

@wuush: the superhub is a modem and router/wireless AP all in one. It's a bit rubbish in several ways (DHCP reservations are erratic for one), and doesn't support 802.11ac hence I wanted to use the AE. It does have a way to switch it into modem mode that disabled all the routing and AP but for some reason, that wasn't quite working correctly. Hard reset appears to have sorted for now