New Airport Extreme? Worth It? ...turns out Oh Yes!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacGuru100, Jun 20, 2013.

1. MacGuru100, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

MacGuru100 macrumors newbie

MacGuru100

Was planning on being unimpressed, but just the opposite. Great!

I have an airport extreme only 5 months only (5th generation), but when I picked up this new Airport Extreme with the redesigned antenna geometry, and the Ultrafast 802.11ac Wi-Fi; I KNEW I'd get better bi-di communication on my brand new 2013 macbook air, which I do, but what turned out a real shocker is Im getting around 30% faster www cruising on my Ipad 4th gen and my Ipad mini! Why didn't apple Inc. advertise "Hey, not ONLY will you get blazing better speeds with the new Ultrafast 802.11ac Wi-Fi,...but ALSO you'll notice faster speeds on your Ipads and other devices"

My wifi on my 2012 Macbook Pro is about 20% or more faster on downloads and MUCH faster refresh on known sites.

I was planning on getting faster speeds on ONLY my new Macbook Air, and FURTHER stronger signal strength. But additionally a HUGE PLUS is my now-faster Ipad communications and home networking speeds.

Was it worth the $200 considering I had a basically a new (older model) airport extreme? Absolutely YES. WORTH IT!

picture of it with my tattooed hand in foreground

[​IMG]

2. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

[Grabs car keys to head to Apple Store.]

3. MacGuru100 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacGuru100

bought the new macbook AIR 13" few days ago.

I said yesterday, what the hell, ill get the "super magical" new airport extreme.

i did NOT FIGURE out that it would make my ipads peel rubber on www cruising too!!

I wasnt expecting much, and i hate everything (sourpuss),.....but it impressed me a LOT

Even better,...... last extreme was a Bit** to setup..............THIS ONE, Helen Keller could have set it up.

4. tomaseriksson macrumors member

tomaseriksson

what kind of speed differences are you seeing? I have just setup my new time capsule. With WPA2 Personal Im getting 21MB/s with my mid 2011 Macbook Air over 5GHz.

5. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

so that is what placebo effect means....

6. crisg macrumors member

Browsing is significantly improved with my AE 6th gen too. I'm on nothing but N devices and most definitely saw a great improvement. Very happy.

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Sounds legit.

The teardowns that i've seen haven't mentioned the processor yet. I believe the 5th Gen use a Marvell ARM processor. These new processors have to be a good deal faster so even 11n stuff should improve.

8. crisg macrumors member

Do you have a 6th gen Airport Extreme?

9. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Yes, hence my response.

10. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Just bought one today. Very happy with the speed improvements to my wireless N devices.

I was getting 22MB/s on the last gen

Now I'm getting 30+ MB/s on the new gen

Attached Files:

11. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Well I'm gonna wait till SmallNetBuilder does their review in the next few weeks. Running a Netgear R6300 802.11ac now and its wifi range is very good - throughput just OK.

12. mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

13. MacGuru100 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacGuru100

Yes, well, if your ROUTER input from you ISP is running on hamsters in a wheel..., ....even the new Extreme isnt going to improve speeds.

I suspect thats your glitch. sic :p

14. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

So much kool-aid in this thread. I've had AC gear for months. Bought the new extreme, compared it to my 5th Gen. No difference. Just sayin.

15. Outrigger, Jun 20, 2013

Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I like your humor... ;)

Attached Files:

16. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

For the 4th-gen iPad and iPad Mini to be faster without looking at WAN-WiFi throughput, the only explanation is that the old router didn't support channel bonding/dual-band/wide channels so it stuck to 65MBit/s instead of 150MBit/s. Your 5th-gen AirPort Extreme does those already.

17. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I bought an open box 5th gen extreme since it was a good deal, but I may upgrade to the 6th gen this weekend when they show up at my local Best Buy.

I'm getting around 22MB, but my Netgear N-300 was getting around 27MB (wanted a USB port as this didn't have one).

18. waw74 macrumors 68030

That's your internet speed, more determined by your modem and the ISP.
    not your network speed which is determined by your router

you're getting 30Mb/s (big difference, 30MB = 240Mb or 30Mb = 3.75 MB) (color to separate numbers visually)
    capitalization makes a huge ammount of difference here.
    8 megabit (Mb) = 1 megabyte (MB)

I get just over 200 Mb/s with my 5GHz wireless N cisco router. (internal link speed)
    I got about 30Mb/s on speedtest.net

wireless N is far faster than most home internet connections.

the only time you'll see speed increase is on internal file transfers.

to get the link speed either launch network utility in the applications/utility folder, or alt-click the wifi icon in your menu bar.
    untill people post these numbers, and don't use the internet for speed testing, it's all koolaid.

19. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Yeah I know, typing on an iphone. Mb/s! but my speeds are faster with the new router. What else is there to say. Glad your here to let everyone know routers don't make a difference even though I'm getting 30Mb/s opposed to 20Mb/s.

20. techn0lady macrumors regular

OK , firstly the old airport extreme and this new one (which I actually have) use the exact same user interface and setup.

Secondly, the new airport extreme won't make your ipad run any faster because the iPad used N wireless protocol on both the old and new extremes.

I sincerely doubt that you actually have purchased the Extreme. Your other also see to dwell in imaginative exaggeration.

21. MacGuru100, Jun 20, 2013

MacGuru100 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacGuru100

In fact i purchased it yesterday at best buy , and price matched it with macmall for $194

Since i mentioned im tattooed, heres a pic i just took with the EXTREME you said I "lied about buying" with my tattooed hand in the foreground.... apology accepted now.

[​IMG]

dont go around calling strangers (myself) liars, ok.

Very pathetic.

......and dear, ive already read 5 others posters mentioning faster speeds on reception on their Ipads.

So, I reject your doxophilia premise based upon empirical consensus reports ive already stated.

22. Che Castro macrumors 603

You should have done a before and after using the speedtest site

23. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I replaced older TC with express extender with a new TC and new Extreme as extender on the opposite side of the house. We now get full 3 bars on Ipads where we previously only received 2 bars. Very glad we upgraded.

24. ecosse011172 macrumors member

That's not true, the new AE could have an improved signal and range enabling far faster internet. YOu're making the assumtion that 'n' is running at full speed everywhere in the home, it most definitely is not.

Right next to my router I get 150MBit/s on speedtest, only 8MBit/s on my iMac 12m away.

25. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Extended range is about the only reason I'd want one. If it speeds things up a bit, fine. Beam Form me some extended Range.