Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Self-explanatory really.

Just off the top of my head, I'm looking forward to:

• The Flaming Lips — At War with the Mystics (early April)
• Eels — Eels with Strings: Live At Town Hall (late Feb)
• Most things from: Good Looking Records... big up the D&B massive :D
• Strokes — First Impression of the Earth (next week)
• Fila Brazilia — got to be something new this year, right?
• Portishead — also something new rumoured in the making...

And you?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Blue Velvet said:
Portishead — also something new rumoured in the making...
We've been waiting a while for this one – hopefully 2006 will be the year... ;)

Other than that, I'll be looking out for the new releases from The Zutons, British Sea Power and The Strokes (as mentioned in the OP), and I'll be interested to see what Jarvis Cocker comes out with for his solo album.

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
I've been living with the new Strokes record for a few weeks now thanks to the magic of BitTorrent :eek:. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, so I won't offer my criticism, but I found an interesting analogy on Rate Your Music:

It's as if The Strokes were invited to their bosses house for a great accomplishment they did at work (Is This It?). At dinner, they did nothing but complain about the food and brag about what they accomplished to the boss's wife (Room On Fire). They later went on to drink to much wine and left a floater in the toilet (First Impressions of Earth).
As for the records I'm looking forward to this year:

• The Arcade Fire - ( Supposedly recording the followup to Funeral in a church this Winter )
• The Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics
• The Shins - Sleeping Lessons ( or possibly 'Wincing The Night Away' )
• Wilco - ( I'm sure I read a rumor that they were working on a new record :confused: )

That's about all I can think of... I'm a little out of touch :eek:.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
.:*Robot Boy*:. said:
but I found an interesting analogy on Rate Your Music:
Hmm... not sure what's meant by that review. :eek: The tracks "You Only Live Once", "Razorblade" and "On The Other Side" sound good so far.

Other anticipated albums,

The Sounds - Dying to Say This to You
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Sinead O'Connor - Throw Down Your Arms (heard her perform on Jay Leno, and I'm digging the reggae beats on her new album)

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Radiohead
Portishead
Sparklehorse
Mazzy Star Anthology (not really a new album, but it's rumored to be coming out as a DVD/CD set)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Blue Velvet said:
• Portishead — also something new rumoured in the making...
I'm sure I said that in a similar thread around this time last year... and the year before that, and the year before that... and the year... hahahahahahaha :p

Off the top of my head... the new Pop Will Eat Itself album, in a time of a musical mediocrity, brilliance will prevail. ;) :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i am looking forward to the new Tool album that will be released in the spring. i know its quite obvious that they are my favorite band. five years between albums is much to long. but the tour will be amazing.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
PlaceofDis said:
i am looking forward to the new Tool album that will be released in the spring.
Nifty, I wasn't aware of that.

Other albums I'm looking forward too are a new one by the Dresden Dolls, Therapy?, and the major label debut of Porcelain. I've also heard rumor of Metallica releasing a new one in '06. That would be cool, but I won't hold my breath until I read something official.

Lethal

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
LethalWolfe said:
Nifty, I wasn't aware of that.

Other albums I'm looking forward too are a new one by the Dresden Dolls, Therapy?, and the major label debut of Porcelain. I've also heard rumor of Metallica releasing a new one in '06. That would be cool, but I won't hold my breath until I read something official.

Lethal
they are in post production from what i have heard so far. they even put out the DVD singles of Schism and Prabol/Parabola on Dec. 20 stickers on both said new album in spring. its rather promising. Adams myspace had pictures of the recodinrg too. so barring any legal issues it'll be out before April i think.

i didn't know about the Dresden Dolls having a new one. ill have to look for it.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
.:*Robot Boy*:. said:
I've been living with the new Strokes record for a few weeks now thanks to the magic of BitTorrent :eek:. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, so I won't offer my criticism, but I found an interesting analogy on Rate Your Music:
Ya, me too. I really really liked their first two albums, but this new one just isn't the same. I mean it has a couple of catchy tracks, but overall the album is just creepier, harder, and not as fun to listen to. :(

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I'm curious about the Platinum Weird album, only because the pairing is so fundamentally wrong.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
nice thread...

I'm looking forward to 2 so far

Radiohead and The Appleseed Cast

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
The Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics
Radiohead
U2 (Bono says they may, but who knows)

I hope this will be a good year for record releases. :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
PlaceofDis said:
i didn't know about the Dresden Dolls having a new one. ill have to look for it.
I saw them here in LA on Thurs night and the played a song off their new album. They didn't give a street date, but it sounded like it would be out sooner rather than later.

Lethal

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
And here's hoping that Grandaddy can pull themselves together for one last hurrah before they split... I haven't heard the Excerpts from the Diary of Toddzilla EP yet — mixed reviews.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Sirus The Virus said:
The Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics
Radiohead
U2 (Bono says they may, but who knows)

I hope this will be a good year for record releases. :)
U2? Hmmm,might be tough after a world tour and a big release late 2004. A live album might be good but I'd rate a studio album as a big "not likely."

Ben Folds is touring Australia this year and playing with the symphony orchestras in the capital cities. I know a DVD exists of him with the WASO but a live CD with the MSO or even the SSO would be great. Wonder if the concert will be at the Opera House? That would be so cool.

Away from music, The 12th Man is about due another album. I miss hearing Ritchie kit up in the cream, the bone, the white, the off-white, the ivory or the beige at the start of the cricket season.

I really don't know of any big releases for this year, I like to be surprised.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Someone else mentioned Wilco...their last couple releases have been great IMO. I hope they release something this year. I got "Kicking Television" for Xmas; really makes me want to see them live!

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
whoever mentioned The Shins earlier, thank you, i forgot about their new album coming out. The real gem im waiting for is KENNA's sophmore album. It's been in the works for so long, i've been dying. Formerly titled "Make Sure They See My Face" i don't know what it's called now, but Kenna's official myspace has a track "Face The Gun," so you tell me.

any other Kenna fans? We can wait and hope together!!! Hopefully the slated date of Spring 2006 holds true, i've been waiting since 2003 for new Kenna tracks!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.