New Android Ice Cream Sandwich revealed in video. Lets compare it to iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sensamic, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

2. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

My concern is if it glitches and/or freezes. I have tried several different versions of Android on several manufacturer's devices and always hit the same problems. While running correctly it was great but I still prefer iOS overall.

3. Krandor macrumors 6502

So what are the major changes from Gingerbread? The list on the link you sent did not look like anything impressive. It listed like "2 shortcuts instead of 4". a home button that brings up a verticle multitasking menu and some designed icons.

4. aohus macrumors 68000

a lot of changes in ICS are under the hood.

just because you see no discernible difference, doesn't make it a mediocre update.

5. nedman macrumors newbie

Only thing I like about Android is the widgets. Would love to see Apple incorporate them into iOS. You just know Apple would do them better aswell.

6. aohus macrumors 68000

right, like their notification/multitasking is better than androids? c'mon now. i'm talking pre iOS5 here.

7. Krandor macrumors 6502

So what is an Android user going to gain by moving to ICS if there is no discernible difference?

I also never called it a mediocre update, but if you are going to go to a whole new version of software, shouldn't there be something discernible in it? If Apple releasd an iOS5 that looked the same and said all the changes were under the hood, it would be called a lot worse then mediocre.

8. nedman macrumors newbie

Jailbroken iOS4 multitasking and notification system is fine. I am happy Apple have finally decided to fix these issues in iOS5.

9. idkmybffjon macrumors member

google really needs to stop letting engineers design their UIs. this is butt ugly. and seriously, why the **** have i never found a single android phone that can inertial scroll without lagging or dropping frames?

10. aohus, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

aohus macrumors 68000

developers will notice a huge difference when making apps on Android phone or tablets.

As an Android user, I notice a lot of changes. Namely, the coloring scheme is now blue, multitasking now has visuals of said app, like Honeycomb, there is now a folder icon you can tap, settings feature changed. Notification bar looks like it got a revamp as well.

Other notable changes will be an update to Linux Kernel 3.0.

another big update is hardware acceleration. no more laggy scrolling. <--- edit: this feature will be coming in Jeally Bean OS.

11. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

The video is kind of a leak. Ice Cream Sandwich has not been revealed yet to the public, so we don't know what the new features are. The video shows mainly the new UI and little more.

The main point of ICS is to unify mobiles and tablets Android OS into one, just like iOS does with iPhones and iPads.

I really think the UI shown in the video is just one of the worst things ever. I prefer Symbian UI I had years ago. I don't understand why its so difficult to them to make a nice UI like iOS.

I read some leaks of ICS a month ago that show exactly what the video shows, like the android market icon on the menu apps at the top or the google search and voice feature directly on the main screen.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The video is most likely a fake as Google has not released the build to devs yet. Not saying it is, just very possible.
    Even the Engadget folks have their doubts.

One thing about Android build numbers... anyone can edit the build.prop file to display whatever build/version number they want.

13. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

The posted video does not show everthing because the Nexus S has Capacitive buttons. Supposedly, ICS, like Honeycomb, will offer on-screen home, back, search buttons to replace the physical buttons.

14. aohus macrumors 68000

sorry, but that leak is real.

15. kre62 macrumors 68000

Are you serious? Google pushed it to JB? Thats unreal. It was supposed to be in Gingerbread. Android users just cant catch a break, lol. Stuck with half a phone for life. Good thing the phones are packing unutilized GPUs.

16. ctbear macrumors 6502a

This has been happening since the first iPhone.

17. aohus macrumors 68000

yeah i have no idea what the technical limitations that make them keep delaying this feature.

this is the one thing that iPhone users benefit from that the Android camp wishes they had.

c'mon EL GOOG. Give us hardware acceleration!

18. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Proof that the video is real? The quality is shocking and it's about as helpful as a chocolate teapot. Could easily be a custom firmware.

19. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Source?
    Because even the Engadget folks had their doubts as do I.

Considering how easy it is to create a custom ROM to say whatever the hell you want it to as far as build/version and even kernel versions, I will have my doubts.
    The back story behind the phone plays into the doubt as well.

20. aohus, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

aohus macrumors 68000

basing it on past ICS leaks. Several Android blogs got those leaks. For all we know, this could all be a ruse from Google to dampen expectations, and/or keep Android buzz going.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Krandor macrumors 6502

I though most android devices under software version listed a number not "IceCreamSandwich" or "Gingerbread".

22. aohus macrumors 68000

most android devices don't show version number as 'ice cream sandwich' or 'gingerbread' youre right.

i just don't see how someone would go through all that effort to change the UI. just because you can bake a custom ROM doesn't mean its that easy to change UI/notification controls.

23. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Again... the leaks are dubious at best.
    I find it interesting that both phones say it's 6:18. :p

It's actually not that hard... take a trip over to XDA and see the magic. ;)

24. 62tele macrumors 6502a

Is that all there is?

As Clara Peller so eloquently asked "where's the beef?"

Good grief!

25. aohus macrumors 68000

uh, it both says 6:18 because its from the same source, but sent to two different android blogs.
    btw i added 2 photos from the engadget leak. same UI as the August leak.

[​IMG]

and im fully aware of custom ROMs. You can doubt it all you want. I'm most confident that this is the ICS we will see later this year with the Galaxy Nexus phones.

one issue i do have with it is that the center bottom icon, the grid icon, thats from LauncherPro lol. But yeah, it is totally possible that this is just some half-baked attempt of a custom ROM developer to try to make it a fusion between gingerbread/honeycomb.