Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mountaineagle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
UK
I would prefer to have just one screen in my study, but I need it to interface with both my PC through DVI and the PS/2 through S-video.

I've searched and searched looking for a hardware device that will take S-video and convert to DVI (Some adaptors take analogue VGA to DVI). I've seen Elgato and some of its competitors, but they are not suitable for gaming, due to the 1.5 second lag between the PS/2 and the screen.

Ideally I would like to purchase the new Apple 23" and interface both my PC and PS/2 to it. I am aware that HP appear to have a 23" screen, but I'd prefer the Apple screen (IMO it feels better built).

PS I've still got a PC as I'm waiting until PB has G5 and Tiger installed next year, although I may not be able to wait this long, as my PC is making lots of strange noises and being very slow, perhaps due to XP SP2, Spy Sweeper, Norton Anti-Virus, etc. :(

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Here is a thread about using the displays as a HDTV, but the same thing applies for SD signals.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/79444/

There is no way to get native video directly to the display with a scaler, the apple displays just don't have the capability.

FWIW, my work just orded an HP L2335 LCD, I think its the one that you mentoned its their 23" LCD. It has s-video, component and composite imputs built in, plus its $400 less, that would probably be your best bet, unless you want to pay $1000-$1500 for a hardware scaler. I will test it out and let you know how it compares to apple's display.

Mountaineagle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
UK
Laslo Panaflex,
Many thanks for being willing to check out the HP product.

I will appreciate your judgement, particularly as you have the apple screens too.

PS Off topic, but I like the kit you mention in your signature!!!! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.