Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New Apple 'Communicating Device'?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Details are sparse... but reliable sources have indicated that Apple is going to be unveiling a new "communicating device" in the next few weeks...

Reports indicate that the new device will not be a Phone or a PDA. The device will also be able to be connect to PowerBooks, Cinema Displays... though not exclusively -- indicating that it may be used standalone or in conjunction with other Macs.

Apologies for the cryptic information... no other details available.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
If this is true then hopefully it'll be compatible with an iMac as well as thats what I plan to buy, however I guess i have no idea what it could be....

p.s will the previous thereads board be reopened now its a news story?

Comment

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
It's either:

1) Robot Monkey that can store photos and videos

2) Inflatormaus! =D

Yeeeeeha.

Comment

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
Hi, I'm tired

They really needed to rack up on needless obscure rumors, so they thought they would regurgitate this tired rumor. Why even bother putting this on the first page?

Comment

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Maybe a video chat device? Maybe it will be an apple brand text and image pager? Hand-held hologram projector? I hope it is something I can use. When details are this sparse I could jot down a grocery list of guesses.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Hi, I'm tired

Originally posted by zedwards
Why even bother putting this on the first page?

"reliable sources"

arn

Comment

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
Video conferencing, maybe?

Perhaps an external TV card of some kind (much less likely).

Perhaps both and more - a multifunction video device of some kind.

That's what popped into my head... it's sufficiently vague that I'm not going to rack my brain too badly over it, but Arn typically knows what he's talking about.

I guess we'll see!

Comment

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by achmafooma
Video conferencing, maybe?

Perhaps an external TV card of some kind (much less likely).

Perhaps both and more - a multifunction video device of some kind.

That's what popped into my head... it's sufficiently vague that I'm not going to rack my brain too badly over it, but Arn typically knows what he's talking about.

I guess we'll see!

the whole "connects to powerbook and cinema display" kinda makes that pop into your head... did to me.

Maybe something that integrates into iChat??

Nothing I want more than to see eyelikeart's mug when i chat... ;) :rolleyes:

Comment

Frobozz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Dumb terminal

It sounds like the rumored dumb terminal. I have a dual 1 GHz desktop, and it would be nice to control it with a dumb terminal from my couch. I would pay a couple hundred for that.

Comment

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Here's a thought....

During Operattion Iraqi Freedom, the embedded reporters transmitted their stories via a video phone. When I first saw this I was impressed with the quality of what I thought to be a video capable cell phone. After giving it some more thought, it occurred to me that this type of video would require something a little more powerful than a cell phone. I concluded that these reporters where using some sort fo "web" cam set up with a lap top and a cell/satellite connection. I have no idea what the reporters actually used. Is it possible that they were field testing some new type of video phone device for Apple?

Just a thought

Comment

DrGruv1

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Chicago - West 'Burbs
My Guess....

If I was sitting around the living room... what would I want..(rend. tech)

1) control itunes from a distance
2) and related stereo/tv/media equip.
3) be able to surf the internet
4) be able to open/edit and access files from my mac
5) be able to write on it! and/or attach keyboard

could this be the new 15" do all tablet?

hoping it is :)

-michael

Comment

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
Maybe it will be some sort of controlling device, linking your Mac/HDTV-TiVo reciever/ilife appz and the much awaited music download service wirelessly to allow seemless control and navigation using APE anywhere in the house to antwhere in the house.

We could be one step closer to HAL - walk in your door pick up your controlling device, d/l mail/playlists/screen-saver etc..

Comment

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Works only on Cinima Displays and Powerbooks?

What would work only on cinima displays and powerbooks??? That sounds strange. Some kind of video conference comera is what came to my mind right away, but don't know why that wouldn't work on any Apple computer. Well, glad I have a new 12" Powerbook anyway! ;-)

Comment

Escher

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2001
Dakar, Senegal
Re: Re: Hi, I'm tired

Originally posted by arn
"reliable sources"

arn

arn: What about a timeframe? Did your sources indicate that this device would be announced at the April 28 music service event? Or is this "communicating device" much further off?

Escher

Comment

matznentosh

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2002
Re: New Apple 'Communicating Device'?

Originally posted by Macrumors
a new "communicating device" in the next few weeks... will not be a Phone or a PDA, but will be able to be connected to both a Cinema Display and a PowerBook.

Of course, it could just be a wireless mouse. With an Apple logo on it.

Comment

BigJayhawk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New Jersey
No PowerPod Possible

Although all "Apple Folk" love to use the following analysis . . .

iMac --> PowerMac
iBook --> PowerBook
iPod --> PowerPod

It DOES NOT work as there is already a PowerPod in existence and the name is already registered. This, of course, does not hinder Apple from trying to BUY the name from the company but this does not happen as often as the second company wanting the name just going with a different name.

See http://www.PowerPod.com for more info.

Comment

deepkid

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
chicago
Tiny targeted market? High price?

Ok, if this new device only connects to cinema displays and powerbooks, that's not a large segment of the mac populus.

Well, it would depend on which books, I suppose. But knowing Apple, the device would work best/only on the newest products so this doesn't really make any sense.

Why wouldn't it work on powermacs, imacs or ibooks?

With the information given, I hope that this new device doesn't die a more wretched death than the cube.

Unless we're thinking too big... perhaps its some sort of adapter. Blue tooth adapters for older books? Nah, doesn't make sense either because you'd want to offer those for ibooks too.

I'm stomped. :confused:

Later edit: Ok, original article now updated to say that the device isn't exclusive to the displays/books.

Comment

matttichenor

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Powerpod

Powerpod is also the name of an older remote camera operating system for film and video production. Powerpod Digital and Powerpod 2000. British company I think.

m

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.