New Apple maps

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by Aussi3, Jul 3, 2018.

1. mdorais macrumors member

New Apple Maps for all of California are now showing up for me on my XS.

2. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

Ah, but new for anywhere else is the question...

3. Jarrodbcall macrumors regular

It's up for me as well!

4. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

While they were not there after updating on my 8+, you are correct, they are now there.
    Now I am wondering why the delay ... o_O

5. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

Whoa...me too!

6. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

Anywhere else?

7. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

I’m still in NYC and have been checking. No updates here.

8. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

My driveway is still not lined up right. Had to drive home from a business trip to Boston. Was anxiously waiting the whole trip to see if the driveway was fixed. Very disappointing...

But - and I may have been imagining it - the detail on my route home along I-90 and I-84 seemed to be better defined.

My guess is they’ll turn on the whole thing when 12.2 is released in a few months. Or they’ll save it for iOS 13 to make a bigger splash.

9. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

I think we may get major metro areas soon...rest of the country in IOS 13 beta.

10. G1Ravage macrumors newbie

I also have all of California now on my Xs Max. It seems limited to California only. I peeked around Oregon and Vegas, and didn't see anything new. New York City remains the same as it did last week.

Here are some California screenshots I grabbed.

IMG_8331.PNG IMG_8332.PNG IMG_8333.PNG IMG_8334.PNG

11. G1Ravage macrumors newbie

So I've been playing around in Maps, and I'm seeing interesting things regarding layers. First, in California, where everything is new. Here is Dodger Stadium. It shows greenery surrounding the entire stadium when zoomed out. But as you slowly zoom in, some of the green becomes "squared off". Zoom in more, and the greenery mainly disappears, except for an interesting pattern near the stadium itself, which perfectly represents the lines of trees.

IMG_8336.PNG IMG_8337.PNG
    IMG_8338.PNG

Moving east, I'm heading out to the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania this weekend, so I've been exploring the area in Maps. Being basically in the middle of nowhere, Maps is only showing basic information. But as we've been discussing, the Navigation mode shows hints that more information is coming.

First, the regular map.

IMG_8339.PNG

Now, the same area in Navigation mode, but zoomed out. Not much of a difference.
    IMG_8340.jpg

But if we slowly start to zoom in, suddenly greenery appears all over the place!
    IMG_8341.jpg

However, the greenery is very haphazardly applied. It's very straight and angular in places, with lots of sharp edges. And it encroaches over portions of Lake Naomi, if you compare the water area in the earlier pictures.
    IMG_8342.jpg

It's almost as if they're slapping colors around to be better defined later on. Here's another photo near a shopping district in town.
    IMG_8343.jpg IMG_8344.jpg

You can see the land data is sort of there, just waiting to be better defined and smoothed out.

12. G1Ravage macrumors newbie

Oops, I reached my limit of 10 photos.

Moving back to the Bronx, below are photos of the area around Soundview Park, all in Navigation mode. When zoomed out, the level of data is the same as the regular map (currently). But as you slowly zoom in, you eventually reach a "trigger" that activates all of the new data. Look at the difference! IMG_8345.jpg IMG_8346.jpg IMG_8347.jpg

13. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

Nice! Any evidence that this is beyond CA and NYC?

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

With this update the new maps went away for us in SoCal and now they are back. Nice.
    However I am not seeing any improvement on map accuracy. It's prettier and cooler looking but they really need to work on location updates and search.

15. G1Ravage macrumors newbie

Not that I know of. I see Las Vegas has *some* additional details in Navigation mode. But as I spend most of my time in New York and Vegas, I haven't really explored much elsewhere in the country as far as Maps updates.

16. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

Was checking out the San Diego area just to see the level of updates on my 10S Max this morning.

Surprised to see that some details are there, but many of the features are either missing or just not updated to the level seen elsewhere.

Makes me think that there is still definitely work going on to enhance the details even after releasing the “updated” map.

Buildings definitely seem to have the front elevation detail from Apple Van mapping, but roof angles/details have not been updated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it looks as though both satellite and van imaging is catching things like pool houses...but not the pools.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Decided to check out a tennis/pool club and the tennis court detail is definitely there, but no pool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zoomed in
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And yet, not too far from there, full detail at this facility.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pool, tennis courts, baseball fields...all shown at the detail expected from updated maps.

17. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

Stalker!!! ;)

18. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

Hah...I have to admit, it is my “lottery” place to move to.

Better than what’s going on outside why window right now...

[​IMG]

19. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

Pure Michigan alright!

20. G1Ravage macrumors newbie

I did some random exploring. Chicago has most of the same "new" detail in Navigation mode as New York and Vegas has. Limited to mainly city centers.

21. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Noticed more detail on my evening commute (here in L.A.)... zoomed out to find I had the new CA map.

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Loaded 12.2 beta on my IPP and Apple Maps (AM) seems to be having a problem. Location: SoCal
    In MAP mode, 3D is currently not available.
    In Satellite 3D mode if I zoom in I get "the Grid" plus labels. That's it. Tried a reboot. This was an OTA update. Hoping I don't have to reload.
    Satellite views:
    IMG-0991.png IMG-0992.png IMG-0993.png

Going to give it a couple of days and hope it corrects itself.

23. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Update for the Apple Maps issue on my IPP.
    • 3D satellite is back
    • 3D on Map setting is available but only if I go to Satellite, select 3D, go back to Map setting
    Wonder why it takes so long for 3D to become available after an update?

24. G1Ravage macrumors newbie

It's always been that way for me. Wondered if it was an error or not.

25. Andrew.s macrumors 6502

Andrew.s

I’ve noticed the new maps data for Southern California but also got this notification on iPhone and iPad this evening.

Attached Files: