Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Try this... "Directions to WSU Vancouver"

;)
Hadn't thought of that, it worked well. Even got the Everett location nailed too, meeting another client next week there. Thanks for the tip!

It turned out my lazy client riding with me just wanted a couple of cans of Cougar Cheese, sold at the bookstore. Dork...

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Still waiting for updates...but there's this: I've been making semi-regular corrections (entrance locations, routing improvements, etc.). Response time since they announced the update has consistently been 24-48 hours. It's actually a little weird to see the notification come up on my home screen announcing the correction so quickly.

I get the impression that the team is in place and they are making the changes/practising before the major data starts coming in automatically. As anxious as I am, I'm glad they are taking it slow and making sure it is done correctly.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Four letters - wash - on my Max... :mad:

View attachment 802235

FWIW, Siri related back that it couldn't find any place named Washington State University Vancouver. Funny that it directed me to Pullman, with 4 closer WSU campuses around the state.

There are times I have found that AM (via Siri or not) will search starting regionally instead of locally. Not sure why.

Sometimes it is also in the way you ask Siri. They really need to improve that. GA is far superior in that aspect. (which is now a Siri shortcut ;)).

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
There are times I have found that AM (via Siri or not) will search starting regionally instead of locally. Not sure why.

Sometimes it is also in the way you ask Siri. They really need to improve that. GA is far superior in that aspect. (which is now a Siri shortcut ;)).

This...if they don’t improve the parsing...

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
WOW, I would try and guess how long it will take Apple to rollout the new Apple mapping data based on what has been added so far. However not even ONE square inch of Apple mapping data has been added since the initial launch. At this rate it will be centuries to infinity before they get it done. Come on Apple you must have competed some more mapping in all this time.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
WOW, I would try and guess how long it will take Apple to rollout the new Apple mapping data based on what has been added so far. However not even ONE square inch of Apple mapping data has been added since the initial launch. At this rate it will be centuries to infinity before they get it done. Come on Apple you must have competed some more mapping in all this time.

I think the mapping part is done probably in so many areas.

My guess is that they are still “perfecting” the other unique parts before they release the base data so it has more of an impact.

They are going to be under so much scrutiny, it makes sense to wait versus rushing out a better map and then looking like a failure because people complain about the entrance to Starbucks being 5 feet from where it actually is.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I think the mapping part is done probably in so many areas.

My guess is that they are still “perfecting” the other unique parts before they release the base data so it has more of an impact.

They are going to be under so much scrutiny, it makes sense to wait versus rushing out a better map and then looking like a failure because people complain about the entrance to Starbucks being 5 feet from where it actually is.
I'm trying to remember correctly: Did Apple say more US mapping data would be available "later this year"? Regardless, I join in voting for them to get it right rather than rush a release to meet an arbitrary internally-imposed deadline (now those internally at Apple whose job it is to meet said deadline may have a different viewpoint altogether!).

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I'm trying to remember correctly: Did Apple say more US mapping data would be available "later this year"? Regardless, I join in voting for them to get it right rather than rush a release to meet an arbitrary internally-imposed deadline (now those internally at Apple whose job it is to meet said deadline may have a different viewpoint altogether!).

They just said the US would be updated over the next year...so, that gives them until next Fall to update.

I know I’ve said this before, but once they feel comfy with the way NorCal is working, introducing the rest should happen at a much faster rate. And it seems to me they are already doing this by updating the POI data layer and other corrections they have control over on top of the current TomTom map layer.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
It had been a few months and I had basically forgotten all about this. By the time it does roll out wide enough to be effective it will have less of an impact.
Taking way too long.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
It had been a few months and I had basically forgotten all about this. By the time it does roll out wide enough top be effective it will have less of an impact.
Taking way too long.

I think you will feel differently once you use it...I was lucky enough to try it over a couple of weeks this Summer while in Northern CA and it was dramatically different. And the way they will integrate StreetView, that will be enough to get most to at least try it once that feature is made available.

I may be wrong, but NOT making a big splash is probably part of the plan. Just make it so people trust it and then introduce some differentiating features so people use it. Slow and steady wins the race.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I think you will feel differently once you use it...I was lucky enough to try it over a couple of weeks this Summer while in Northern CA and it was dramatically different. And the way they will integrate StreetView, that will be enough to get most to at least try it once that feature is made available.

I may be wrong, but NOT making a big splash is probably part of the plan. Just make it so people trust it and then introduce some differentiating features so people use it. Slow and steady wins the race.

I'm sure I'll try it.
My biggest issue has to do with travel. I do a good bit of it. As such I need good regional and global map options. My thought is that by the time Apple has this rolled out we will be seeing the next generation from someone other than Apple. For now I use mostly Google.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I can't say whether this is the new Apple maps as promised but when I ran maps on CarPlay yesterday it looked very different from what it did in the past - roads were much darker and looked very different. I had forgotten about new Apple maps so didn't think of it until this thread.
Live in Portland, ME and we sort a bunch of Apple mapping vehicles a couple of months ago driving around area

Portland seems like a strange place for an early roll out but since we are "small" maybe it is a good location

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I can't say whether this is the new Apple maps as promised but when I ran maps on CarPlay yesterday it looked very different from what it did in the past - roads were much darker and looked very different. I had forgotten about new Apple maps so didn't think of it until this thread.
Live in Portland, ME and we sort a bunch of Apple mapping vehicles a couple of months ago driving around area

Portland seems like a strange place for an early roll out but since we are "small" maybe it is a good location

I used it in Portland a couple of weeks ago...still old Maps...but again, it seems to me that Apple has been updating layers they control and that has made areas seem “updated”.

You can really see the difference...just look at all of the 3D buildings (like EVERY building ) in the NorCal area that has been updated. Then look at downtown Portland where buildings are there, but most in outplaying areas do not even go 3D when zoomed in. And land coloring is completely different in new maps.

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

I think this is base layer improvements (how common items, such as roads and green areas, etc appear). I’m seeing the same down here in CT. I don’t think it extends to the actual detail yet. My “road” (my common driveway with another neighbor) is still shown displaced by one house. When this gets fixed, I’ll know the detail improvements will have been implemented.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
My “road” (my common driveway with another neighbor) is still shown displaced by one house. When this gets fixed, I’ll know the detail improvements will have been implemented.

Im dying to see if this changes. You have been mentioning it for so long...and it makes sense that the new map data would fix it.

I guess if it doesn’t, it will be a great opportunity to test the quick fix aspect of new Maps. ;)

Reactions: gwhizkids

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I used it in Portland a couple of weeks ago...still old Maps...but again, it seems to me that Apple has been updating layers they control and that has made areas seem “updated”.....
I've also noticed differences in CarPlay (Atlanta) and thought may have got the update but when I looked on Apple Maps it was the same "color".....I think you are right and Apple is also working on "upper" layers that will be used but the underlying data is still 3ed party, except for the original updated area.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I used it in Portland a couple of weeks ago...still old Maps...but again, it seems to me that Apple has been updating layers they control and that has made areas seem “updated”.

You can really see the difference...just look at all of the 3D buildings (like EVERY building ) in the NorCal area that has been updated. Then look at downtown Portland where buildings are there, but most in outplaying areas do not even go 3D when zoomed in. And land coloring is completely different in new maps.

Looks nice and clear but what exactly is the benefit? More to come I hope.
I used Pier 39 as an example.
Interestingly MR gives me a security error when I try to insert the Satellite or 3D from Apple or Google Maps.
Apple looks much better but at this time doesn't tell me anything new.

Basic maps; With Google I can get both shopping levels. You still cannot on Apple Maps.
IMG_1035.PNG IMG_1034.PNG
Maybe someday?

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Apple maps continues to be laughably inconsistent for me.

Asking for directions to the nearest location of a chain restaurant gives a route to a more distant location, actually passing by a closer location clearly marked on the map, so it wasn’t even that it wasn’t in their database. Of note google and waze had no issues whatsoever.

I also during navigation on a highway it showed upcoming instructions to take an off ramp, hang a u turn and get right back on the highway. Like... what?

How can they still be this bad after this many years?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Apple maps continues to be laughably inconsistent for me.

Asking for directions to the nearest location of a chain restaurant gives a route to a more distant location, actually passing by a closer location clearly marked on the map, so it wasn’t even that it wasn’t in their database. Of note google and waze had no issues whatsoever.

I also during navigation on a highway it showed upcoming instructions to take an off ramp, hang a u turn and get right back on the highway. Like... what?

How can they still be this bad after this many years?

That’s the point of this entire thread: Apple’s efforts to reach rough parity with Google and the rollout of same.

Reactions: MozMan68

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
That’s the point of this entire thread: Apple’s efforts to reach rough parity with Google and the rollout of same.

It seems like Apple prefers to spend time slapping fresh coats of paint on broken algorithms to give the appearance of “new” rather than actually becoming better.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
It seems like Apple prefers to spend time slapping fresh coats of paint on broken algorithms to give the appearance of “new” rather than actually becoming better.

Suggest you read the article. Apple is completely (or nearly so) insourcing the POI and geographical datasets it uses in Maps. @campyguy can give you all the technical aspects but essentially Apple is generating this data itself rather than using Tom-Tom or other nav data providers. We’re just waiting for them to roll out the new data, which they’ve indicated will be soon.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Ahhhh...another person who didn’t read the article and is still complaining about things that happened to him 6 years ago.

...umm both of my complaints happened to me yesterday on an up to date version of iOS. Neither issues were with the dataset but rather that the mapping algorithms did nonsensical things with that data.

I mean if this “new apple maps” thread isn’t meant for discussing the current state of apple maps i guess I’ll go elsewhere, but there’s no reason to be derogatory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.