Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiMacLover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2001
Clovis, CA USA
Mac OS X was the steping stone now apple is pulling out the big guns to take out the PC industry do you understand how big this is? they hit dell with a white dagger on the laptop market, now this will finish them off ok well ill keep typing now with dell out HP and compaq both which are going bad, then the 10 plan comes into fold. Apple will take that time to get kids to use these then to buy macs when they are older meaning more macs no PC's no windows no microsoft think about it

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Indeed, the Strategy is clear, the eMac.
Kids are the future buyers, and a kid loves nice things, and common' those beige dull looking boxes with lots of cables, and difficult setups for teachers.
The eMac is indeed the best buy for education.:p

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
That is not precise "new", is a very well know form of merchandising. Many companies do that, specailly the big ones. They work with the young people first in proyects that desn't look that profitable just to make a name with their future costumers.

What Apple has in favor about this is that there are not Apple lones out there. If IBM start to do something like that, when people go to the store they are gonna find another IBM like but cheaper because there is a lot of variety of the PC market, the sale with Dell, so they may be investing for their futer but they won't see the revenue, un less they really push their brand name. For Apple is easier because it is a different product line and every body knows that.

Yes, I'm sure the Apple share is gonna grow, but OSX.... I will wait for OSIX.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Re: New Apple Stradegy

Originally posted by TiMacLover
Mac OS X was the steping stone now apple is pulling out the big guns to take out the PC industry do you understand how big this is? they hit dell with a white dagger on the laptop market, now this will finish them off ok well ill keep typing now with dell out HP and compaq both which are going bad, then the 10 plan comes into fold. Apple will take that time to get kids to use these then to buy macs when they are older meaning more macs no PC's no windows no microsoft think about it

That is quite possibly the most difficult to understand post I've ever seen on here. What in the blue hell do you mean, what is your point?

Of course Apple is aiming at the kids, but "white dagger," and "10 plan," WHAT?

Slow down, take some more Ridilin, and try that again please.

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
Apple is on the verge of "finishing off" Dell, PCs, Windows and Microsoft??

Your enthusiasm gave me a good chuckle.

I do agree, they have a strategy and it is working, somewhat.

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
Strategy

Apple has made many Improvemenmts since a little after the Cube came out which I thought was probably the low point in Jobs' return so far. And definitly they're looking in to the future unlike Gateway and HP/Compaq who are killing them selves. Sad that the third oldest PC giant will go down (Expect they're printers) And IBM went to hell as in they're PC market and they've publiclly stated they're planes to get out of it. So we the have Dell So ny and Apple (not including the smaller PC companies) Sony makes very good computer and they're better then M$ as in stealing ideas. Dell has shear mass and the anoying kid so they'll be hard to take down. And even if HP/Compaq doesn't go down they will have hurt them selves severly. I think Apple needs to do a major upgrade of they're pro line then they'll be set to do some damage to X86 using companies. All we trully need is to boost are clock speed to 1.8 by MWSF then we could seriouslly hurt AMD companies then go towards defeating the intel chipset. And we need to give OSX the Classic system folder to make the average joe be able to delete old prefs. or make a startup item

ericb88

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2002
spuncan's completely right. This is the time for apple to seize the market share. Apple has to do everything it can to get amazing computers out as soon as possible.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by mymemory
Yes, I'm sure the Apple share is gonna grow, but OSX.... I will wait for OSIX.

its been a while, but doesn't OS IX mean OS 9. You probably mean OS XI. The again, we all knew what you were talking about anyway, so just ignore me.

TiMacLover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2001
Clovis, CA USA
Many mac heads I know are looking for OS X withour eye candy, that which of is Rhapsody, this Apple should release Rhapsody, it would be OS9 and UNIX and run great on any PPC 603 and higher.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: Re: New Apple Stradegy

Originally posted by mcrain
Slow down, take some more Ridilin, and try that again please.

hehe it's "ritalin" and this kid obviously doesn't need any more drugs... can you say "tweaker"?

;) j/k

Yeah, IBM is going out of the PC market, they've been planning this for a few years... I think they're waiting to get in on the ground of whatever "new" thing there is in this sector... compaq/HP? don't get me started. Dell is clearly the real enemy here, and if Apple catches the ball and steps up some agressive marketing, they'll be doing fine. Apple has been a major sponsor on MTV for a while now, which gets it a lot of attention, and their product placement is unsurpassed. Truely now people think of Apple when they think of computers, which for a long time was not true.

:)
pnw

New Strat

Many of you point to Dell as the big enemy(which they are) but we must not leave out Sony. They are closely copying Apple and they are surely cutting into apples sales with their "Digital Lifestyle." They are not really a concern in the education market, but surely a concern in the creative market. As for HP and Compaq thier days seem numbered.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Re: New Strat

Originally posted by Macmaniac
Many of you point to Dell as the big enemy(which they are) but we must not leave out Sony. They are closely copying Apple and they are surely cutting into apples sales with their "Digital Lifestyle." They are not really a concern in the education market, but surely a concern in the creative market. As for HP and Compaq thier days seem numbered.

I think Dell is one major threat due to its market saturation, but I also agree that Sony most closely resembles Apple in its advertised product capabilities. The viao portables are all very small and lightweight with a lot of capabilities, while their desktops now offer dvd-r "superdrives."

Sony is a huge company with a lot of resources. I'd like to see them ally with Apple rather than compete. That combination, along with IBM and Moto (whichever is making the next chip), could be a strong alliance.

eirik

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2002
Leesburg, VA
Apple Strategy

I don't see the eMac as being an Apple offensive. Instead, I see it as a defensive reaction to increasing aggression on the part of Dell and others on Apple's stronghold, the education market.

The eMac is a very low-margin computer, relative to the rest of the line, except maybe the old iMac.

The eMac may, however, serve another strategic purpose. The more volume the eMac can generate, the more value Apple is to Motorola. Hence, more volume with Apple motivates Motorola to work harder, devote more resources towards developing semiconductors that serve Apple's interests.

While I don't lose sleep, but one issue that worries me somewhat is the prospect of too many little soldiers taking on the evil giant Microsoft.

For those of you that remember the dawn of the x86 computer age, IBM not only licensed DOS from Microsoft but from two other providers as well. Microsoft practically gave it away to establish a market share beach head that rapidly grew to a network externality that squeezed the other two out. The same thing later happened to MacOS: to play in corporateland and elsewhere, one must employ a Microsoft OS.

So, how does this apply now? There are two viable OS's hoping to steal market share from Microsoft. Obviously, MacOS is far in the way the leading challenger. But, there is a movement to make a worthy Linux desktop for consumers. If MS is forced to license Office to other OS developers, it would serve MS's interests to have Linux and other OS's do well enough to dilute Apple's budding network externality. So, Apple needs to find a way so that Application development on Linux can very, very easily work on MacOS X with not only no quality loss but a quality increase!!!

Linux does not seem like a threat to Apple now. But if we're talking strategy as opposed to tactics, Apple damn well better be thinking about this.

As far as the merit of targeting the education market goes, it hasn't done squat to help Apple except provide a floor in terms of market share for Apple to stand on and not fall into oblivion.

Now, however, with MacOS X, a Unix variant, the education strategy has radically more merit. Linux grew legs in the universities. With MacOS X, computer geeks get not only a credible Unix variant but a credible office desktop with MS Office, top-notch multimedia software, and many, many mainstream software applications.

Apple is a long, long way from being positioned to target the desktop of the average employee in an enterprise. However, there are a lot of technical employees that employ some flavor of Unix in their jobs. These individuals often have another desktop machine with a Windows environment so that they can collaborate/communicate with the rest of the company, particularly dependent upon MS Office.

Apple MacOS X and Office X enable corporations to consolidate from two desktops to one for each of these employees. These employees generally have greater freedom from the network administrators that have and continue to keep Apple out of their networks. With a foothold, not a beach head because the number of such employees is not great enough, network administrators and senior management will become increasingly familiar and comfortable with Apple's being in their offices, with buying Apple's for employees.

Another thing that can work in Apple's favor would be very cheap Internet and network bandwidth for the enterprise. When this is so, desktop video conferencing can thrive more so than it does today. Also, there needs to be some further solidification of open standards on MPLS, DiffServ, and QoS.

Because Apple engineers both the software and the hardware, it has a distinct advantage and opportunity to make desktop video conferencing far superior to that of MS misguided PC's. This could be very important to the enterprise.

But corporations won't buy Mac's just because of superior desktop video conferencing. They need to be more comfortable and confident in its productivity in the office. More and more Unix applications are porting to MacOS X. Perhaps more and more technical employees will use Apple desktops. With these two factors, Apple would have a much stronger hand in the corporate world. But even so, it won't be easy.

Well, this post is getting awfully long. It's nearly time for bed so I'd better take my Zoloft; where the **** is that goddamn G5 and super motherboard?

Eirik

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.