Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IsaacDW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Conway, AR
With all the news about streaming media from iOS devices and Airplay, i couldn't help but wonder if the new Apple TV could function as a wireless monitor with audio support.

As of now, whenever I want to display my desktop on my home TV, I have to physically tether myself to the TV with a MiniDisplayPort-VGA adapter, a VGA cable, and a stereo audio cable.

It seems that it wouldn't be too much of a task allow Mac computers on the wireless network see the Apple TV as a second monitor so that I could extend my desktop wirelessly or mirror displays.

Macs already have the capability to stream local iTunes libraries and screen share, and the Apple TV is made for instant streaming and Airplay, so I'm sure the hardware is all there.

What do you think?

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
I'm thinking no. AirPlay only supports QuickTime video.

This would be a great app for an app store, though!

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
I'm thinking no. AirPlay only supports QuickTime video.

This would be a great app for an app store, though!

Indeed, use iPod touch as a camera, and stream video to ATV, which is hooked up to a big screen.

What will be a killer feature will be, if we can find enough devices with Airplay support. I hope Airplay API is out in public, so that developers can make use of it to stream from their mac any content ..

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
the mac could easily 'screen share' a streaming quicktime video feed of the desktop, especially over a fast home network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.