Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to introduce its long-awaited next-generation Apple TV in September, reports Buzzfeed's John Paczkowski. According to sources familiar with Apple's plans, the new set-top box will be unveiled in September at the same event where Apple will unveil the next-generation iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.

As has been previously rumored, it is said to include an A8 processor, a touch-pad based remote that's "drastically improved" compared to the current version, a new operating system that supports a full App Store, developer APIs, and Siri voice control, and more on-board storage to accommodate apps. Physically, the Apple TV will take on a new, slimmer look.

Apple-TV-2015.jpg

Apple will not be introducing its rumored television service at the same time, with sources telling Buzzfeed that the Internet-based streaming service could possibly launch in late 2015, but 2016 is more likely. Current rumors suggest Apple's television offering will bundle approximately 25 channels and cost between $30 to $40 per month.

Apple was widely expected to introduce both its new Apple TV and its upcoming streaming television service in June, at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, but the two products were not ready for launch at that time. Apple postponed its release of the set-top box because it was "not ready for prime time" and held off on the television service because deals were not completed.

Apple has not introduced a revamped version of its Apple TV since 2012, so an updated set-top box with App Store support and other features will be a major change from the platform that we know and use today.

Article Link: Apple Plans to Debut New Apple TV in September With Touch-Based Remote, Full App Store

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Poor developers these days. They've got apps to write for watches, TVs, phones, tablets, desktops, convertibles, fridges, and whatever else you want to stick an LCD on. Pretty incredible.
It's not like distribution of tv shows for, say HBO, was effortless in the past...

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
How is this any different than the six other times i've heard this in the last three years?
The iPod Nano and iPod Touch were updated this year. Maybe this is the year that Apple visited the island of misfit toys. :D

For those who have moved on to alternatives like the Roku or Chromecast, if this rumor comes to fruition it probably won't matter. For those who still on Apple TV, if it doesn't materialize then it won't matter either. If they've stuck with Apple this long....

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
I still don't understand "cord cutters" who would sign up for a $30-$40 service. Presumably also with Netflix, Hulu, etc.
It MIGHT make sense if you have a good internet service, but little choice in the way of TV. I have relatives who can't get OTA signals, so they have to choose between cable and satellite. If I were in that situation, I might pay for a $30 TV package that didn't tie me to cable or satellite.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
It's not like distribution of tv shows for, say HBO, was effortless in the past...

Not at all! Sarcasm doesn't really work on the internet sometimes.

I'm just appreciative of how far technology has come, and what hardware engineers and software developers have done to get it this far. Go back to the 50's and tell someone they can make a phone call on their watch and see practically any show/movie ever made on their TV whenever they want and they'd be blown away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.