Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RolledUp20s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Wrexham, North Wales
I've just bought the new apple tv & was looking into the Jailbrake (if its available on the new one?)

are there any negatives to jail braking the ATV? i have JB my 4S and ipad2 in the past, ended up reverting back to standard though after a month.

what are the benefits to a JB ATV?

thanks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The Apple TV 3 is not jailbreakable at this time. Its jailbreak is going to be the hardest to make and because of this it may never be jailbroken.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Because the Apple TV's iOS is a limited build and doesn't have common injection points like the App Store and Safari. The only reason why the Apple TV 2 is able to be jailbroken is because of the limera1n bootrom exploit. At this time, no bootrom exploits are known to exist for A5 and newer devices, which includes tha Apple TV 3.

RolledUp20s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Wrexham, North Wales
Because the Apple TV's iOS is a limited build and doesn't have common injection points like the App Store and Safari. The only reason why the Apple TV 2 is able to be jailbroken is because of the limera1n bootrom exploit. At this time, no bootrom exploits are known to exist for A5 and newer devices, which includes tha Apple TV 3.

ah, i guess iPhones/ipads may go that way then? ...or not :eek:

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009

Dont listen to this guy

There will be a jailbreak for the ATV3 soon

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Dont listen to this guy

musclenerd says otherwise:

Irony: Apple's least expensive iOS device (yesterday's new AppleTV3,1) will likely be the most secure of the bunch

http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/181110560383975424

@anethema the ATV has only a fraction of the software infrastructure of the other devices...the attack surface is much smaller

http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/181113939768258560

@anethema the only reason ATV2 is still jailbreakable is geohot's limera1n bootrom exploit, which doesn't apply to ATV3

http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/181114428027191296

@gongyi0416 in general, anything like that for the iPad3 also applies to all the other devices too (except possibly AppleTV)

http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/181437105992507392

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Dont listen to this guy

Says who, you? I think MuscleNerd is a bit more reliable and "this guy" likely came to his conclusion because of him.

6a0120a619c18e970c016763fcece7970b-pi

Michael

----------

Wish I would have seen this before I posted. Would have saved me a little time lol.

Michael

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
iOS 5.1 on the Apple TV 2 has already been jailbroken. But it's a tethered jailbreak.

While it may be on their roadmap, they can't get to it without a jailbreak.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
how do ATV jailbrakes work then? does it enable you to put what you like on to it? eg. sky sports?

If someone makes an app for it, it's possible.

Seems XBMC has a much larger following so apps are being made for XBMC...and since we have XBMC on the ATV then we can use those add-ons.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
If someone makes an app for it, it's possible.

Seems XBMC has a much larger following so apps are being made for XBMC...and since we have XBMC on the ATV then we can use those add-ons.

Yes to me XBMC is the main reason to jb the ATV.

I also would't put too much faith in Firecore's "roadmap." They "sell" a prepackaged jailbreak solution and word of the ATV3 being much harder to jb than the ATV2 doesn't exactly sound good for business.

There has been not one single breakthrough on the ATV3 as far as finding an exploit, let alone using it.

Michael

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I'm going to give it a month. If there's no real progress announced then I'll get hold of a 2nd gen and use that until the new one is Jailbroken.

:apple:

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
The Apple TV 3 is not jailbreakable at this time. Its jailbreak is going to be the hardest to make and because of this it may never be jailbroken.
It will be jailbroken. The Dev Team and friends have managed to jailbreak every Apple product thus far, and ATV3 will not be an exception.

MuscleNerd just wants you to know it'll take a while to figure out is all. ;)

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
I am so sick of the walled garden, I went and got a Boxee Box.

All I really wanted was AirPlay, and Boxee Box has that.

If Apple insists on locking down ATV so hard, there comes a point when it's wiser to walk away.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I am so sick of the walled garden, I went and got a Boxee Box.

All I really wanted was AirPlay, and Boxee Box has that.

If Apple insists on locking down ATV so hard, there comes a point when it's wiser to walk away.

Problem is if you use Netflix a lot you don't get DD 5.1 with Boxee Box, you get HD, but not true surround. That's worth staying in the "walled garden" to me.

Also AirPlay on the Boxee is hit or miss, I have a Boxee Box as well as a ATV3 so I'm speaking from experience.

They are both very capable devices that make up for each others shortcomings. I enjoy them both and likely will keep upgrading both so long as DLink makes another Boxee and Apple keeps revising their ATV.

adammacleod

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
iOS 5.1 on the Apple TV 2 has already been jailbroken. But it's a tethered jailbreak.

While it may be on their roadmap, they can't get to it without a jailbreak.

I havn't come across a jailbreak for 5.1 yet. Where is it available?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I havn't come across a jailbreak for 5.1 yet. Where is it available?

The Apple TV 2 iOS 5.1 jailbreak isn't public yet. But it does exist. In fact the Apple 2 will always have a tethered jailbreak because of the limera1n exploit. The very same exploit that allows it to be jailbroken at all. With the A5 bootrom exploit still illusive of non-existent, the jailbreakability of the Apple TV 3 doesn't look so good. To make things worse, the Apple TV 3 could have a unique bootrom made for its unique single core A5 that would make iPad 2 and iPhone 4S bootrom exploits not working on it.

Last edited:

adammacleod

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
The Apple TV 2 iOS 5.1 jailbreak isn't public yet. But it does exist. In fact the Apple 2 will always have a tethered jailbreak because of the limera1n exploit. The very same exploit that allows it to be jailbroken at all. With the A5 bootrom exploit still illusion of non-existent, the jailbreakability of the Apple TV 3 doesn't look so good. To make things worse, the Apple TV 3 could have a unique bootrom made for its unique single core A5 that would make iPad 2 and iPhone 4S bootrom exploits not working on it.

Thanks for the info mate. I was pondering getting an apple tv2 for ages, then when I did it came with the new software. :( any timeframe on the public release?

Last edited:

atandon

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
The Apple TV 2 iOS 5.1 jailbreak isn't public yet. But it does exist. In fact the Apple 2 will always have a tethered jailbreak because of the limera1n exploit. The very same exploit that allows it to be jailbroken at all. With the A5 bootrom exploit still illusive of non-existent, the jailbreakability of the Apple TV 3 doesn't look so good. To make things worse, the Apple TV 3 could have a unique bootrom made for its unique single core A5 that would make iPad 2 and iPhone 4S bootrom exploits not working on it.

Ugh! Thanks Intell
If the jailbreak prospect looks bleak then my only hope is apple release app store support for the apple tv asap. Would be nice if we could at a minimum support 3rd party media players that support additional codecs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.