Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
What if the new iOffice, iWorks or whatever was based off of the KDE enviroment like Koffice? It's just a thought and I was wondering what others thought about it.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Re: New AppleOffice or iWorks

Originally posted by hesdeadjim
What if the new iOffice, iWorks or whatever was based off of the KDE enviroment like Koffice? It's just a thought and I was wondering what others thought about it.

I think they are going to separate the parts of Appleworks. Like Keynote (great name) they will rebrand the simple word processing, spreadsheet, etc. Then perhaps they'll bundle them all together with a stupid name (like iLife, :() I guess what I am saying is that there will be no Appleworks 7 or any "i" applications based on Appleworks 6.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Yes, I agree. It seems that the Works name has lost its patina. Unbundling seems to be the order of the day. You could say that Suites are long in the tooth.:eek:

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Boo on the pun. :p

Hmmm, a separated AppleWorks... Yeah, that makes sense to me from a business standpoint. They would stand to make more $$$ that way for sure. I would probably just stay with AW6 though if they were charging Keynote prices for each component. I use AW for word processing daily, but I hardly ever use the spreadsheet. Like I said, I would probably just stick to my free copy of AW that came with my iBook.

Regards,
Gus

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Re: New AppleOffice or iWorks

it would take a hell of a lot of work (more than it would be worth) to port koffice to the mac (natively). safari is just based off of the konqueror rendering engine, not the application itself. koffice is nice, but not that great and i think that apple would aim for a much better suite than what kde provides (besides, what's the point of buying a mac if you can buy an emachine and put kde on it for free?). http://www.neooffice.org/ was a project aimed at making an osx native version of openoffice, and you can see how much work it took them to get as far as they did. i think that apple should just offer special "bundles" online and at the apple store.

Office Bundle
-Keynote
-Nisus Writer
-Mesa

Productivity Bundle
-Appleworks/ThinkFreeOffice
-Aladdin 10 for X Utilities
-OmniDiskSweeper
-OmniOutliner
-iDress

...and other similar deals. this saves apple a lot of work and provides a better solution than "apple office" would by putting mac developers out of business.

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
Re: Re: New AppleOffice or iWorks

Originally posted by FattyMembrane

it would take a hell of a lot of work (more than it would be worth) to port koffice to the mac (natively). safari is just based off of the konqueror rendering engine, not the application itself. koffice is nice, but not that great and i think that apple would aim for a much better suite than what kde provides (besides, what's the point of buying a mac if you can buy an emachine and put kde on it for free?). http://www.neooffice.org/ was a project aimed at making an osx native version of openoffice, and you can see how much work it took them to get as far as they did. i think that apple should just offer special "bundles" online and at the apple store.

Office Bundle
-Keynote
-Nisus Writer
-Mesa

Productivity Bundle
-Appleworks/ThinkFreeOffice
-Aladdin 10 for X Utilities
-OmniDiskSweeper
-OmniOutliner
-iDress

...and other similar deals. this saves apple a lot of work and provides a better solution than "apple office" would by putting mac developers out of business.

Thanks, this was the response I was looking for. I wasn't really sure how koffice was, but noticed it was off KDE which I knew involved Safari. I thought they meant the rendering engine in Konqueror is what they used in KOffice but I guess that wouldn't make any sense. I just found it interesting that KDE has its own office suite. That being said, I agree with others that they will see how Keynote does then continue on from there. Apple will have a hard battle if they try to take on Excel and Word, and may have a lot of trouble displacing those thrones.

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
Re: Re: New AppleOffice or iWorks

Originally posted by FattyMembrane

it would take a hell of a lot of work (more than it would be worth) to port koffice to the mac (natively).

The same arguement could be used for Safari. They could have used the Mozilla engine and made a Chimera like browser. But instead, they found something faster and worked with it. Jobs said it took a lot of effort at Apple to do it, and I think it is a success story. Now, I agree with you, if KOffice is bad, then it shouldn't be used, but there are many other office suites out there for linux that could be adapted for OS X, but this might be too large of an undertaking. Personally, I think if they continue with an Office Suite, it will be based off Keynote if Keynote is successful.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Re: Re: Re: New AppleOffice or iWorks

there are many other office suites out there for linux that could be adapted for OS X, but this might be too large of an undertaking. Personally, I think if they continue with an Office Suite, it will be based off Keynote if Keynote is successful.
if apple did use a free linux office suite as the basis of their product, it too would have to be free, and apple needs to make some money somewhere, so i think that you're right about persuing a keynote-style closed source venture with an office program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.