New AT&T data plans for those without grandfathered unlimited

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arnezie, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/18/att-new-data-plans/
    Looks good for those not lucky enough to have unlimited. I will be switching to AT&T now for 5 gb soon.

This is what the link says for those not wanting to follow it,,,,,
    AT&T to adjust data plans January 22nd, offers more gigs for more money
    By Brad Molen posted Jan 18th 2012 5:32PM
    Good news and bad news here, folks: the good news is that AT&T will begin offering new data plans with a higher monthly allotment. The bad news is that, once again, it's going to cost you more. The plans, which will offer 300MB of data for $20, 3GB for $30 and 5GB (including mobile hotspot access) for $50, will take effect beginning this Sunday. Are you still on one of the older plans? Fortunately, you're still grandfathered in and won't have to change unless you absolutely want to. But remember that once you move to the new data rate, there's no going back; the only legacy plan sticking around is AT&T's 250MB tablet feature for $15. The change in plans appears to be priced the same as Verizon, though the two higher rate plans on AT&T have an advantage in that it hooks you up with an extra gigabyte of data capacity. The question is, will it be worth paying an additional $5 per month for that extra gig? Oh, and we're still waiting on that shared data plan in the meantime, Ralph.

2. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I have to consider switching if they don't throttle me. I am on unlimited now but over 2 gigs I get throttled so whats the damn point? If I can do 5 gigs, tethering and not get throttled I will switch.

3. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Does AT&T currently throttle you if you use more than 2GB?

4. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

5. NoHo macrumors 6502

Remember when people started willingly giving up their unlimited data plans for a 2GB tiered plan just to save a couple bucks a month?

They thought that since they didn't use 2GB then they wouldn't ever use 2GB.

Now data is going higher and higher and these devices are becoming more advanced with more features that use more data. I predict in a couple years people will be paying for a 10GB tiered plan and it will be a heck of a lot more expensive than the unlimited data plan would have ever been.

AT&T and the wireless companies are a business and they do what they can to make as much profit as possible.

Home broadband companies wish they would have implemented a tiered pricing plan early on before people got used to using their internet as much as they want. They could have maximized profit big time if they did. The wireless companies aren't going to make the same mistake of letting people get used to using their mobile devices as much as they want.

6. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I humbly have to agree with you on that. It looks like now is the right time for me to switch over from T-Mobile. My only regret is to have bought my iPhone 4S unlocked. :( Silly me....

7. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Any idea by how much? It must depend upon where you are, but I'm curious how slow your connection tend to become once you've gone over the 2GB mark?

8. ihonda macrumors 68000

no they sure dont.. i use 5-6gb a month and have not gotten a "you are in the top percentage" as of yet.. and ive called in and asked. random people ive talked to said 8gb+ = text

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Just because you have been lucky enough to avoid the dreaded text, doesn't mean that countless others ARE being throttle at (or, in some cases, under) the 2GB mark.

10. Arnezie thread starter macrumors 65816

Arnezie

There is a thread or two on throttling ... This isn't it . This thread is regarding AT&T new data plan not 2gb throttling of grandfathered plans. Thanks

11. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I for one will be getting the $30/3gb plan which is only a $5 bump from now but get and extra gig.

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

14. tlbwriter macrumors regular

Yes, but at some point, an "unlimited" plan isn't actually unlimited. If you're being throttled, you may prefer to switch to a higher-priced plan where you actually get to use the resources.

15. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This is exactly what I plan on doing.

16. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

do you consistently go over 2 gbs per mo? If yes, then it makes sense to switch. But if you rarely go over 2, it makes more sense to me to stay and pay the $10 for that extra gb if you were to go over

17. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I do not go over, but I would rather pay the extra $5 and be safe as oppose to paying $10 to go over.

18. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

And you won't get throttled under the new plan because you are paying for a specified amount of data usage.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm not following the logic here. You don't go over the current 2GB limit, but will pay an extra $60 as insurance against possibly paying an extra $10? :confused:

You do realize this isn't a one-time deal... you can wait until you're going over 2GB. Better yet, if you pay attention you can usually typically change a dataplan during a monthly cycle and make it retroactively effective to the beginning of the cycle -- thus avoiding the overage charge.

20. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

this :)

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If only they had rollover data... It would make these new plans seem less in the interest of AT&T :rolleyes:

22. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Last 6 months of my data

Aug-3.5GB
    Sept-9.4GB
    Oct-5.7GB
    Nov-15.7GB
    Dec-6.7GB
    Jan (to date) 2.8GB.

Only notice I got was in Nov about tethering. Other then that, no throttling.

Perhaps it varies by market.

23. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Rollover data is being talked about by Verizon... My guess is if Verizon does something like this, AT&T would have to do something like this also to remain competitive. Sprint and T-Mobile don't really need to follow suit because they both offer unlimited plans (though T-Mobile throttles after you hit your limit)

24. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Rollover data would be great. Pooled data would be even better. I'm on a family plan with my husband and my mother. Last month mom used 33MB of data, but hubby and I both had to turn off cellular data towards the end of the month so we wouldn't go over. Having a family data plan similar to our minutes plan would be amazing. But, not sure when (or if) we'll see rollover or pooled data.

25. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

That's what i figured most people would do when i saw this article early today, but honestly the closest I've ever come to 2GB was 1.4GB and that was a random month. For the most part i stay around .9GB a month.

Not worth the extra $5 a month for me. But good news for others i'm guessing.