New ATV3 interface shows TV show seasons on computer out of order

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jlove385, Mar 7, 2012.

1. jlove385 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else if having the problem described in the title. My TV show seasons are no longer listed alphabetically and seemingly listed at random.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yep, exactly the same problem here. I can't even work out what order they're showing in - it just seems completely random to me.
    How they managed to make such a mess of such a simple feature is beyond me!

3. AnthonyFlower macrumors member

Same here, although worryingly this is how my iPad has always shown them on the shared library, so there must be a logic to it but it's beyond me. All the content is purchased through iTunes so the info they use to sort them should all be there!

I really hope they fix this, we have literally hundreds of shows on there and right now it's a complete mess, it is unusable without the remote app on an iOS device.

Is there a way to downgrade to the previous software release?

4. oobidub macrumors newbie

I have updated 1 of 2 AppleTVs and found that the TV shows are in a random order also, but only after updating iTune to 10.6. The random order of TV Shows is also reflected on the 2nd AppleTV that has not been updated.

5. oobidub macrumors newbie

I have just removed all TV shows from my Library and then added them again. Every thing is back in order again except the shows starting with "The" are down in the T section.

6. oobidub macrumors newbie

Just removed one of the titles beginning with "The" to see if I could get it to be organized but when I added it again, it added it at the very bottom.

I can only guess that the TV Shows are now ordered by the date they were added to the iTunes library - with the most current at the very bottom.

Very impractical!!

7. bbeagle Suspended

bbeagle

Go to Settings, iTunes and you can set the order. There is even an option where you can set any order you want to by holding the select button down, and moving the shows up or down.

8. PhyrePhox macrumors regular

PhyrePhox

That changes the sorting on the TV Shows->Favorites screen, but not in Computers->TV Shows

9. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Yeah, they've had that happen almost each major update to the Apple TV software. I bet a 0.0.1 release will be put out soon to fix it.

10. sulliweb macrumors regular

sulliweb

I'm with oobidub. It's an issue with the iTunes update, not the ATV software. I checked my ATV 2 that hasn't been updated, and it has the same issue, TV seasons in the exact same order as the one with the update.

11. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i wonder how long the update will take. ? has anyone had a problem with metax and homesharing being used on the iphone ipod touch and the ipad mine has the episodes i used metax for replicating down the interface ovver and over again it does not do this with the apple tv

12. parkds macrumors regular

Having the exact same issue here. As far as I can tell, my TV shows are being listed in completely random order.

13. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

They are being listed in the order they were added to iTunes by the looks of it.

I've deleted a couple of series and readied them and they are all going to the bottom of the list, regardless of metadata.

It does at least give a solution, which is to remove them and re-add in the order you want. That isn't as bad as it sounds, as they are mostly in the correct order in finder. It's just those that start with "The" that are a problem.

I'm sure that iTunes will be fixed but it will take a few weeks. I think I'm going to have to invest the couple of hours to sort it, or the grumbles from wife/son will get too much.

14. oobidub macrumors newbie

I bit the "Time Machine" bullet earlier and restored the Mac running iTunes for my Apple TVs. I'm gonna sit on v10.5.3 (and nicely ordered TV Shows) for now.

15. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

That was my other option, but it would take a few hours to do that. I think that deleting and re-adding will be quicker, but obviously is a lot more messing about than just restoring.

There are ongoing problems though. All new additions will just go to the bottom until Apple sort it.

16. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

they definitely aren't being listed in the order they were added.
    the shows at the top of my list are some of the oldest that were added to my itunes library.

the very newest ones added are way down the list.

17. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

Yes, the oldest are at the top and the newest are at the bottom.

You may be different, but mine are definitely being listed in the order they were added. That is why, if I add them in alphabetical order they end up sorted correctly.

18. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

as you said, it may be that way for you, but it certainly isn't for me.
    the last tv show i added (3 seasons of a particular show) are not at the top of the list, but are in the middle in no particular order.

if i change the sorting method on the appletv to "by date" then it does what you say, but setting the sort to "by show" sets it to some random ordering.

19. fabianods macrumors newbie

Fixed!!!

iTunes 10.6.1 released today supposedly fixes the issue.

20. NightStorm macrumors 68000

It does.

21. sulliweb macrumors regular

sulliweb

What he said. Just glad they finally fixed it.