new-b here. Do I need lion OS X on my app account to recover.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by albino5150, Aug 10, 2013.

1. albino5150, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

albino5150 macrumors newbie

So hello all.
    I am new to the whole Mac world. I have an Iphone 5 which has lead me to purchase a used macbook. I do not know what year it is as it had been unoperational for about 6-7 months and I think I just forgot.
    Here is the issue;
    It is froze on the gray boot screen (apple logo, spinning boot wheel) common problem I understand.
    I am able to get into recovery mode and Lion seems to be the OS. Original OS on the mac I am not sure as it is used.
    By the way it did work when I bought it.
    So I took it in to a certified repair store an they were able to get it running. I have considered doing that again but the cost has doubled. If i can fix it for the cost of purchasing Lion OS on my app account I would do that.
    I am kind of pressed for time and before I send it off with "a guy who can fix it" I want to attempt my self.
    I have Mt. Lion on a thumb drive that was purchased for me by a friend thourgh their account as we were unable to find lion in the app store.
    Can I use the Mt. Lion to bypass the need for lion?
    Can Some one please help me with compassion for a New-B who is trying to get started in the Mac world.
    Make me a believer.

2. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Stick the usb in, hold alt, hit power button, keep alt held, double click the usb, install.
    And next time take it to an unauthorized repair store.

3. albino5150 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I have since discovered it is an '06 and am wondering if it will be comparable with the mt. Lion upgrade I have researched and received mixed answers, yes it has the capacity and no the processor can't handle

4. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

No, the Mountain Lion installer will not work on a 2006 MacBook. According to the specs page ML will only install onto a MacBook that is Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer.

5. albino5150 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I am basically stuck having to buy the lion on my account with another Mac and try it that way?

----------

Would unlocking the recovery HD be a way around having to purchase?