New Base MBA for Around the House Beater?

Nacho98

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
I have an iPad mini 5 that I like and is my most used device, but am finding that again it results in the same problem my old iPads had - you still gotta prop it up, and typing on it sucks.

I'm seeing poverty spec MBAs on sale at Microcenter for $850. I have a $350 Apple store gift card that I could probably sell for $325. Looking at Swappa, I could probably sell my mini with its Rickshaw sleeve for close to $300.

Basically I could get a MBA for like, $300ish out of pocket and use that as a secondary house/Starbucks beater (I have a 16" MBP also that is my home hub/heavy lifter). Then I solve the things about the mini that I don't really like.

For $300ish, I'd be foolish not to, right? Even with the junk keyboard?

Last edited:

CPL593H

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2018
Have the 2018, that’s an excellent deal, go for it and enjoy.

If you need more space, you can easily add a T5. Carry it in the sleeve with no extra trouble.

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
I have an iPad mini 5 that I like and is my most used device, but am finding that again it results in the same problem my old iPads had - you still gotta prop it up, and typing on it sucks.

I'm seeing poverty spec MBAs on sale at Microcenter for $850. I have a $350 Apple store gift card that I could probably sell for $325. Looking at Swappa, I could probably sell my mini with its Rickshaw sleeve for close to $300.

Basically I could get a MBA for like, $300ish out of pocket and use that as a secondary house/Starbucks beater (I have a 16" MBP also that is my home hub/heavy lifter). Then I solve the things about the mini that I don't really like.

For $300ish, I'd be foolish not to, right? Even with the junk keyboard?
Why do you say the keyboard is junk? Because everyone else says it is? You don't even own an Air to make that call. Buy one and use it, then come back and give us your opinion. I own a 2018 Air. it's a great keyboard. Fast and easy to type on. The 2019 keyboard is even better.

Nacho98

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Why do you say the keyboard is junk? Because everyone else says it is? You don't even own an Air to make that call. Buy one and use it, then come back and give us your opinion. I own a 2018 Air. it's a great keyboard. Fast and easy to type on. The 2019 keyboard is even better.
There's no point in even trying to defend a keyboard that Apple put on a 4 year service plan on day 1. The death knell for the butterfly has been sounded by Apple dumping it in the 16", but keep fighting the good fight I guess and refusing to face reality. The keyboard is a liability, plain and simple, and it is a lot worse to use than the keyboard on the 16" MBP.

There's really no point in trying to pretend like its not a liability at this point, but ok. I mean really, in year 4, with Apple acknowledging it's a problem, and ditching it on its newest model computer, you really just look foolish defending it like there's nothing wrong with it.

Reactions: martyjmclean

Nacho98

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Typing this post from my new base 2019 Air. I also have a new 2017 12" Macbook sitting next to me, described in this thread:

It's a nice computer, and a keeper in terms of quality control. Keyboard seems the same more or less, but sounds a little quieter and maybe is a little softer than the 12" Macbook. I don't have a preference for either version I guess, they are the same to me.

But you know what? It just doesn't do it for me compared to the Macbook, for the intended purpose of replacing an iPad mini as a glorified ultra portable browsing machine. The Macbook sits on the arm of the couch better, sits on my lap better, etc., so I think I will be returning this Air, returning the Macbook as well due to the unfortunately poor lid/body gap on the right hand side, and ordering another Macbook, and hope the next one turns out to be a keeper.

CPL593H

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2018
Typing this post from my new base 2019 Air. I also have a new 2017 12" Macbook sitting next to me, described in this thread:

It's a nice computer, and a keeper in terms of quality control. Keyboard seems the same more or less, but sounds a little quieter and maybe is a little softer than the 12" Macbook. I don't have a preference for either version I guess, they are the same to me.

But you know what? It just doesn't do it for me compared to the Macbook, for the intended purpose of replacing an iPad mini as a glorified ultra portable browsing machine. The Macbook sits on the arm of the couch better, sits on my lap better, etc., so I think I will be returning this Air, returning the Macbook as well due to the unfortunately poor lid/body gap on the right hand side, and ordering another Macbook, and hope the next one turns out to be a keeper.
I still wish the MB was the new “Air”. Really wanted a 12 inch updated when they did the Air in 2018. MBA is totally fine, but truthfully bigger than what I need. My dream would be a MB with the new MBP keyboard and bezel size.

Reactions: Nacho98

monokakata

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2008
Hilo, Hawai'i
Around this house, the beater is a 1st gen Macbook 12". It's not good for anything else, really, and has been a swamp of trouble, but it does work and does come in handy a couple of times a month.

You might look for one of those (used) -- should be cheap.
- - Post merged: - -

Nacho98

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Around this house, the beater is a 1st gen Macbook 12". It's not good for anything else, really, and has been a swamp of trouble, but it does work and does come in handy a couple of times a month.

You might look for one of those (used) -- should be cheap.
- - Post merged: - -
What have been the issues with your 12"?

monokakata

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2008
Hilo, Hawai'i
Remember, it was 1st gen: battery needed replacement quickly, keyboard failed and was replaced. "Swamp" was maybe too extreme, but when it was my partner's main machine, she was full of complaints about speed, about the single port, overall responsiveness . . . .

Screen was nice, though.

I bought it for her as a gift, to replace an older 11" MBA which was working well. Some gift!

I think the later generations are better.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
The death knell for the butterfly has been sounded by Apple dumping it in the 16", but keep fighting the good fight I guess and refusing to face reality. The keyboard is a liability, plain and simple, and it is a lot worse to use than the keyboard on the 16" MBP.

There's really no point in trying to pretend like its not a liability at this point, but ok. I mean really, in year 4, with Apple acknowledging it's a problem, and ditching it on its newest model computer, you really just look foolish defending it like there's nothing wrong with it.
With that train of thought, how many of those machines do you think Apple would have sold had they not implemented the keyboard replacement program? People can see that the scissor keyboard will eventually make its way into the newer models right? So, why buy one with the butterfly keyboard if something better is on the horizon?

I have a 2019 MBA and a 2017 MBP, both with butterfly keyboards, and neither of them have shown any type of keyboard issue.

The 16" MBP has a different keyboard, scissor mechanism, so it's a better machine. But there are other issues with that particular device (ghosting). No machine is going to be perfect for everyone in every aspect.

Reactions: LeeW and Mainsail