New Bill to Ban Conversion Therapy - will Repubs support?

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Impossible to enforce a blanket ban. However, nobody should ever be coerced into this -ever - and I expect the demand for this kind of therapy would be very low.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
It's a terrible thing that has no scientific backing.

However, does the federal government really have the power to regulate this? It sounds like a very expansive interpretation of interstate commerce...

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
change it to convert a christian to a atheist and it would happen in a nanosecond.
Huh?... supported by Republicans?
[doublepost=1493473018][/doublepost]i think the important aspect of conversion therapy is the title, therapy, the method used, if there is any science involved, or is it all about shaming people to act a certain way and emphasis divine approval, avoiding pitchforks, the age old religious conforming with threatened punishment techniques.

If it's the latter, it should be illegal as something labeled a therapy, although I see no reason why a masochistic adult individual could not volunteer to expose themselves to something labeled as a moral session sponsored by the church. I don't believe that laws that should stop church people from making their arguments about divine approval even though it's another method of attempted control, it falls within the realm of free speech.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The Republican sect that supports this crap is fairly small. If there's one thing that came out of this Presidency that is positive, the middle ground republicans are making themselves known.

Reactions: steve knight

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
As long as it's not kids getting it, I don't see a problem, if a grown ass gay adult wants to go through this then it's none of my damn business.
it is children though. do a bit of research on christian conversion camps and such way to many horror stories.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
The Republican sect that supports this crap is fairly small. If there's one thing that came out of this Presidency that is positive, the middle ground republicans are making themselves known.
Are you kidding? The Bible-thumping Sect is absolutely energized and re-invigorated under the Trump presidency. Many of their Jesus Soldiers are even celebrating the New Trump Era of Christianity with an 86% increase of anti-Semitic crimes (vandalism, harassment, assaults). But hey, don't take my word for it, here is your source (below), no less than the report by the Anti-Defemation League.

Anti-Semitic incidents almost double under Donald Trump administration, new figures reveal

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Are you kidding? The Bible-thumping Sect is absolutely energized and re-invigorated under the Trump presidency. Many of their Jesus Soldiers are even celebrating the New Trump Era of Christianity with an 86% increase of anti-Semitic crimes (vandalism, harassment, assaults). But hey, don't take my word for it, here is your source (below), no less than the report by the Anti-Defemation League.

Anti-Semitic incidents almost double under Donald Trump administration, new figures reveal
Wait a minute...are you really saying that Christians are carrying out anti-Semitic crimes? o_O

You do realize that Jesus was Jewish don't you?

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm interested in the middle ground Republican names. Would you call them moderates or are they one step left of the ultra right extremists?
[doublepost=1493482198][/doublepost]
Wait a minute...are you really saying that Christians are carrying out anti-Semitic crimes? o_O

You do realize that Jesus was Jewish don't you?
Please say you are not serious with this argument. My impression is many/most? Christians would be insulted if they were associated with Judaism in any philosophical way. I'll speculate some of the real winners might even have trouble making the relationship you are referencing. Anti-semitism is historical and includes many Christians (historically) does it not?

Reactions: A.Goldberg

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Please say you are not serious with this argument. My impression is many/most? Christians would be insulted if they were associated with Judaism in any philosophical way. I'll speculate some of the real winners might even have trouble making the relationship you are referencing. Anti-semitism is historical and includes many Christians (historically) does it not?
Not talking about Judaism. I'm saying that Jesus was of Jewish decent and any Christian who tells you otherwise is admitting he doesn't read his/her bible. I don't care what they "claim" to be.

I find it pretty irresponsible (at best) to imply that a bunch of skinheads and neo-nazis are necessarily Christian (as the guy I was replying to seems to believe).

Last edited:

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
it is children though. do a bit of research on christian conversion camps and such way to many horror stories.
They should modify the law to apply to anyone who is a minor then, very likely get more support.
[doublepost=1493486567][/doublepost]

How do you know these incidents are all right wing? The left pro Palestinian block is just as capable, and with the US importing an unprecedented amount of middle eastern Muslims that could also be another source.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
They should modify the law to apply to anyone who is a minor then, very likely get more support.
Which would run counter to who those programs are really for. Some of those programs are for 'saving' the youth.

From the linked article in the op's article
Britton said they were 11 years old when their parents sent them to see a conversion therapist.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Which would run counter to who those programs are really for. Some of those programs are for 'saving' the youth.

From the linked article in the op's article
If that's the case they will be out of business anyways. I watched a show about this stuff a while back, there are adults trying to do it as well.

My only point is that I'm not going to tell an adult straight or gay person what they should do with their sexuality, if they want therapy to love pigs it doesn't really bother me.

niploteksi

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2016
There are machines that cure any decease by ways of changing the way your body oscillate. All you have to do is pay a lot of money and the operator can fine tune your energy field. They may sometimes cure cancer and even work as burn treatment. You don't even have to be in the same room or even in the same city for it to work.

And it's totally scientific!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioresonance_therapy

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
If that's the case they will be out of business anyways. I watched a show about this stuff a while back, there are adults trying to do it as well.

My only point is that I'm not going to tell an adult straight or gay person what they should do with their sexuality, if they want therapy to love pigs it doesn't really bother me.
It hasn't done it yet, despite numerous calls for closures and citing for violations. Which is why this new call.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/clinic-run-michele-bachmann-s-husband-hit-violations-n738181

Some of these programs are run as legit clinics, thus taking in federal dollars.

Marcus Bachmann's clinics were also found to have taken $137,000 from Medicaid — a federal program the Republican congresswoman claimed was swelling "welfare rolls."
While your point maybe not to tell someone what to do with their sexuality, there are those of the 'we want smaller government and out of our lives' republicans who want to use the government to tell others what to do with their sexuality because it disturbs them.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It hasn't done it yet, despite numerous calls for closures and citing for violations. Which is why this new call.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/clinic-run-michele-bachmann-s-husband-hit-violations-n738181

Some of these programs are run as legit clinics, thus taking in federal dollars.

While your point maybe not to tell someone what to do with their sexuality, there are those of the 'we want smaller government and out of our lives' republicans who want to use the government to tell others what to do with their sexuality because it disturbs them.
No federal money should be used for this hocus pocus, and any attempt to "degay" a child should land the parents with a few days in jail and the business closed permanently. I find the practice a bit disgusting personally, but I think adults should be allowed if they choose.

Reactions: satcomer

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Just a curiosity, but why do so many GOP members support gay conversion therapy? Is it a religious thing?
Yeah. I think a lot of their efforts are rooted in religious beliefs. Also a longing for the past I think. You know, when gays were closeted, put down, arrested and seen as deviant predators coming after your children! I think a lot of people to this day still don't like seeing gay people accepted as anything even approaching equal.

Some people just aren't happy unless they are raining on someone else's rainbow parade.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
I'm interested in the middle ground Republican names. Would you call them moderates or are they one step left of the ultra right extremists?
[doublepost=1493482198][/doublepost]

Yup Huntn, exactly. Christian persecution of the Jews (in situations when the Jews were a minority) started long before the Spanish Inquisition. And it happens still in good old 'Murica. And Trump's hate speeches pandering to right-wing groups gives ALL the right-wing fringe groups and Christian extremists the green light to keep going on with their religious crusade agenda.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
No federal money should be used for this hocus pocus, and any attempt to "degay" a child should land the parents with a few days in jail and the business closed permanently. I find the practice a bit disgusting personally, but I think adults should be allowed if they choose.
The intention of the legislation is to do just that, to get rid of a widely debunked form of 'medical therapy'. It's often used on young people who have no say, and preys upon conflicted adults who may take the 'treatments' out of fear. The 'therapy' or 'treatment' itself is considered to be nothing more than modern day religious snake oil. If adults want 'to pray the gay away' the could just continue to go to their disapproving church and get 'tsked' into straight hood for free at no expense of personal or federal dollars.

The issue isn't about your feelings towards gay conversion, no matter how commendable they maybe, it's about keeping these programs from later being used as a gateway to discrimination against LGBTQ. Often what those programs are really about is normalizing or mainstreaming the disgust or dislike some have towards an 'alternative lifestyle'. "See it's all fake, we can send kids/people to a camp and they can be cured!" It's false, it's harmful.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch