New Bill to Ban Conversion Therapy - will Repubs support?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CaptMurdock, Apr 28, 2017.

1. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

I think there's something to this Conversion Therapy, Trump seems to have converted thinking people into idiot sycophants.

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

4. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Sounds like what this guy went through was child abuse. Don't we already have laws against that.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Impossible to enforce a blanket ban. However, nobody should ever be coerced into this -ever - and I expect the demand for this kind of therapy would be very low.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

7. zin macrumors 6502

It's a terrible thing that has no scientific backing.

However, does the federal government really have the power to regulate this? It sounds like a very expansive interpretation of interstate commerce...

8. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

They just want it to work (for their own "good").

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As long as it's not kids getting it, I don't see a problem, if a grown ass gay adult wants to go through this then it's none of my damn business.

10. Huntn, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Huh?... supported by Republicans?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 29, 2017 ---
    i think the important aspect of conversion therapy is the title, therapy, the method used, if there is any science involved, or is it all about shaming people to act a certain way and emphasis divine approval, avoiding pitchforks, the age old religious conforming with threatened punishment techniques.

If it's the latter, it should be illegal as something labeled a therapy, although I see no reason why a masochistic adult individual could not volunteer to expose themselves to something labeled as a moral session sponsored by the church. I don't believe that laws that should stop church people from making their arguments about divine approval even though it's another method of attempted control, it falls within the realm of free speech.

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The Republican sect that supports this crap is fairly small. If there's one thing that came out of this Presidency that is positive, the middle ground republicans are making themselves known.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it is children though. do a bit of research on christian conversion camps and such way to many horror stories.

13. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Are you kidding? The Bible-thumping Sect is absolutely energized and re-invigorated under the Trump presidency. Many of their Jesus Soldiers are even celebrating the New Trump Era of Christianity with an 86% increase of anti-Semitic crimes (vandalism, harassment, assaults). But hey, don't take my word for it, here is your source (below), no less than the report by the Anti-Defemation League.

Anti-Semitic incidents almost double under Donald Trump administration, new figures reveal

14. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Wait a minute...are you really saying that Christians are carrying out anti-Semitic crimes? o_O

You do realize that Jesus was Jewish don't you?

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm interested in the middle ground Republican names. Would you call them moderates or are they one step left of the ultra right extremists?
    Please say you are not serious with this argument. My impression is many/most? Christians would be insulted if they were associated with Judaism in any philosophical way. I'll speculate some of the real winners might even have trouble making the relationship you are referencing. Anti-semitism is historical and includes many Christians (historically) does it not?

16. BeeGood, Apr 29, 2017

BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Not talking about Judaism. I'm saying that Jesus was of Jewish decent and any Christian who tells you otherwise is admitting he doesn't read his/her bible. I don't care what they "claim" to be.

I find it pretty irresponsible (at best) to imply that a bunch of skinheads and neo-nazis are necessarily Christian (as the guy I was replying to seems to believe).

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They should modify the law to apply to anyone who is a minor then, very likely get more support.
    How do you know these incidents are all right wing? The left pro Palestinian block is just as capable, and with the US importing an unprecedented amount of middle eastern Muslims that could also be another source.

18. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Which would run counter to who those programs are really for. Some of those programs are for 'saving' the youth.

From the linked article in the op's article

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If that's the case they will be out of business anyways. I watched a show about this stuff a while back, there are adults trying to do it as well.

My only point is that I'm not going to tell an adult straight or gay person what they should do with their sexuality, if they want therapy to love pigs it doesn't really bother me.

20. niploteksi macrumors regular

There are machines that cure any decease by ways of changing the way your body oscillate. All you have to do is pay a lot of money and the operator can fine tune your energy field. They may sometimes cure cancer and even work as burn treatment. You don't even have to be in the same room or even in the same city for it to work.

And it's totally scientific!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioresonance_therapy

21. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

It hasn't done it yet, despite numerous calls for closures and citing for violations. Which is why this new call.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/clinic-run-michele-bachmann-s-husband-hit-violations-n738181

Some of these programs are run as legit clinics, thus taking in federal dollars.

While your point maybe not to tell someone what to do with their sexuality, there are those of the 'we want smaller government and out of our lives' republicans who want to use the government to tell others what to do with their sexuality because it disturbs them.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No federal money should be used for this hocus pocus, and any attempt to "degay" a child should land the parents with a few days in jail and the business closed permanently. I find the practice a bit disgusting personally, but I think adults should be allowed if they choose.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah. I think a lot of their efforts are rooted in religious beliefs. Also a longing for the past I think. You know, when gays were closeted, put down, arrested and seen as deviant predators coming after your children! I think a lot of people to this day still don't like seeing gay people accepted as anything even approaching equal.

Some people just aren't happy unless they are raining on someone else's rainbow parade.

24. Solomani, Apr 29, 2017

Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Yup Huntn, exactly. Christian persecution of the Jews (in situations when the Jews were a minority) started long before the Spanish Inquisition. And it happens still in good old 'Murica. And Trump's hate speeches pandering to right-wing groups gives ALL the right-wing fringe groups and Christian extremists the green light to keep going on with their religious crusade agenda.

25. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

The intention of the legislation is to do just that, to get rid of a widely debunked form of 'medical therapy'. It's often used on young people who have no say, and preys upon conflicted adults who may take the 'treatments' out of fear. The 'therapy' or 'treatment' itself is considered to be nothing more than modern day religious snake oil. If adults want 'to pray the gay away' the could just continue to go to their disapproving church and get 'tsked' into straight hood for free at no expense of personal or federal dollars.

The issue isn't about your feelings towards gay conversion, no matter how commendable they maybe, it's about keeping these programs from later being used as a gateway to discrimination against LGBTQ. Often what those programs are really about is normalizing or mainstreaming the disgust or dislike some have towards an 'alternative lifestyle'. "See it's all fake, we can send kids/people to a camp and they can be cured!" It's false, it's harmful.