New Brunswick Senior Punished For Self Defence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 15, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I did NOT expect this in Canada. the senior is facing a harsher penalty compared to the attackers.

charges for the 68 Y/O.
    *Discharging a firearm with Intent
    *Discharging a firearm in a reckless manner

teens charges.
    17 Y/O
    *Robbery & assault with a weapon

19 Y/O
    *Robbery
    *breaching a probation order.

jail term if convicted for the 68 Y/O could be up to 10 years.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I wanted to read a news account as opposed to watching a video but couldn't find the story online.

Can anybody (OP?) help out by linking to a published news story?

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

guess its not the first Time Canada tries to stick it to those defending themselves

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/karen-selick/ian-thomson-charged-with-defending-self_b_2410861.html

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

This seems very unreasonable but I suspect that there is more to this story. Perhaps, once the home owner had subdued the burglars and regained control over his home, he gave chase and continued to shoot at the suspects while they were attempting to flee. If that's the case, I agree with the charges.

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

When I read the headline I thought this happened at Rutgers!

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

By "stick it" do you mean the hassle of an investigation and going though the courts to see if the home owner was abiding by the laws of the country?

The very article you quote (in an unrelated story... so who knows what applies to the New Brunswick incident) specifically says the home owners self defense claim was valid. As a direct result of that defense claim the charges of careless use and pointing a firearm being dropped before trial. The other two charges (unsafe storage of a firearm and unsafe storage of ammunition), went to trial and the judge declared the home owner not guilty.

So what are you trying to imply? That when someone uses a firearm on their property no investigation is warranted?

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

from link
    seems the Crown has serious issues with citizens defending themselves.

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

No the Crown charges only dealt with storage of the firearm and the ammunition. There were no charges brought to court regarding the man's defense of his home.

I will say the case seemed a little excessive at the time, but it is well within the right of the police to determine if the homeowner was abiding the laws regarding possession and storage of a firearm.

9. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Investigate and charge are two different things. Investigate, yes 100 % but to charge and bring to trial costs the individual time and money. People should not be penalized for defending themselves. To me hiring having to hire a lawyer for frivolous charges is a violation of the Canadian charter of rights and the prosecutor should be charged and have to defend himself on his own dime.

----------

He was initially charged with four offences, they dropped the other charges.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm still trying to find the story. JKCerda supplied a HuffPo link which contains a link to the Calgary Herald where it said more details can be found. But that link goes to a Calgary Herald page that says, "Sorry, this url contains an invalid document id. Please check your url or click Back and try again."

It appears that site is deprecated. Clicking on the header takes you to a newer Calgary Herald site, but when I search the name "Ian Thomson" I can't find any news story at all.

So again, where is this story coming from? Can anyone find the original reporting and not reposts?

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the gun was stored in a SAFE.
    investigation? no problem,charging him over this? problem, seems the crown is out to nail people who defend themselves .

12. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

13. citizenzen, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Following up further I did friend this on the deprecated Calgary Herald site in the editorial section ...

Will follow up at a later time ...

Little bit of follow-up ...

Editorial from the National Post, January 4, 2013 ... http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/01/04/matt-gurney-after-two-years-judge-acquits-man-who-defended-himself-with-a-gun/

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

This is beginning to sound like a broken record. In the absence of any other information we can only speculate as to why the unsafe storage charges came up... maybe the police and the crown didn't believe his story of where the firearm and ammo were contained.

Also why are we still on this particular case on an article now almost 2 years old. That has been dealt with and a verdict of not guilty obtained...Where's the talk about the senior in New Brunswick? It seems like you spoil for a fight that's already resolved.

15. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the only thing I was able to find on the senior is what is on the video. you are welcomed to address it.

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Can't watch youtube videos here; you're welcomed to elaborate.

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

then try reading post one.

18. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

from link

20. Raid, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

FYI That is a list of charges not an elaboration of the incident.

Actually useful. Providing a name, date, and very brief description. Thanks.

from: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Canadian_Criminal_Law/Offences/Discharging_a_Firearm
    from: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Canadian_Criminal_Law/Defences/Self-Defence_and_Defence_of_Another
    Great so the issue now becomes did Mr Woodard act in accordance with his right to self defence.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And apparently he did, because he was acquitted on those charges.

So ... what's the problem here?

btw, just a side note: according to the accounts that I read he discharged the gun into the ground and into the trees, not aiming at the suspects.

So this so-called firearms expert fired warning shots. :eek:

That should elicit scorn from the gun advocates here. OMG! Warning shots?!

22. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

You are getting the two incidents mixed up Mr Woodward is still charged. Ian Thomson had 2 charges dropped and was found not guilty of 2 other charges.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Oy.

So who's Woodward? Isn't this about Ian Thomson?

All I know is someone fired warning shots, a crime of utmost severity in these discussions.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

He should not be charged at all

25. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/01/13/defending-self-defence

Woodward case just happened this past December, Ian Thomson (Firebombing case) case happened in Ontario in 2010. The Ian Thomson case was mentioned to show how stupid the other case is.