Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deuceap610

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the Mac world and have been drooling looking at the Macbook Pro and promised myself when I get into grad school I'll buy the MBP to congratulate myself. I got in and decided not to wait until Leopard and decided to buy. Now reading the forum, I'm reading about the issues with the yellowish screens and getting a little concerned that the MBP I'm going to recieve on thursday may have the same problem. My question is, how many (percentage-wise) laptops are being affected by this problem?

Thank you in advance,
Marek

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
there havent been hardly any reports recently of yellow screen MBPs

that seems to have been an early problem with the new LED screens back in june/july

the chance you will get one is slim, and they will exchange it for you in most cases

edit:didnt mean to quote your entire post

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
Well I can't begin to tell you a percentage, but reading this forum you would think that it would be very high. But please remember that people that post here are often seeking help for a problem. There was poll earlier that was for the yellow tint, you might want to search for that. However, I can tell you that the one I received about a month ago is beautiful. It arrived with a much warmer tint than I wanted, but this was cleared up by calibrating. Not every machine will have problems and if you actually break it down the percentage probably wouldn't be that high. If you do happen to have a problem, have it replaced, but don't necessarily expect problems. Good luck and I am sure you will love yours.

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
I would also imagine that some people who use there computer for spreadsheets, email, internet ... general use, if they got a screen with minimal yellowing at the bottom, the probably won't care much or notice. But a designer a photo professional type would pick this up the moment they first turn their machine on.

Alan

jrodatus

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Here you will find the defect survey thread, started about 2 months ago. It has a good sample base, so the results should be relatively accurate. So far the tally for screens having the yellowing problem is...

81 perfect/corrected with calibration, or 74%
29 with bottom 1/3 yellowing issue, or 26%

It is rumored that Samsung screens are more prone to having the yellowing issue than LG screens. Unfortunately, aside from calling the factory, you do not have a choice of screen manufacturer. You could very well get a defective screen (though I haven't seen all that many reports lately), but if you do you can just return it for another one. In fact, if you didn't customize your MBP, you can take it to an Apple Store and get it replaced right there. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.