New Candidate (Evan McMullin) enters the race

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Aug 8, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cia-...ndependent-presidential-bid/story?id=41201256

Very bad news for Trump. And likely bad news for Hillary.

"It's an extreme uphill climb, but his supporters are confident McMullin, 40, can act as a disruptor who they hope can peel off some red states in a race where some Republicans are still resistant to Donald Trump.
    McMullin’s candidacy, backed by some Republicans, shows how the “Never Trump” movement is still working to upend Trump even with less than three months left until the general election. McMullin may be a long shot, but will have a legitimate organization behind him.

McMullin, who resigned this morning as chief policy director of the House Republican Conference, will file today and in a statement told ABC News exclusively (more via link)

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Someone should inform this guy that the various deadlines for candidacy are in the past.

3. rdowns, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Makes no sense at this point. For example, 7 states require signatures be filed by Wednesday to get on ballot. Some have closed already. Are they doing this to get leverage against Trump?

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Indeed. A little confusing here. Although I wonder how much someone can campaign as a write in?

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the more they push Trump the dumber he gets thinking people really want him, he has been going down ever since he won the nomination IMHO because now he seems to realize the joke will be on him shall he actually win.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't know how one thinks to get leverage against Trump directly, i.e. now we did this so you have to do that. I mean because he's so... erratic.

Electoral leverage seems doubtful. Third party effort is sometimes a hope to throw it into the House. In this case though Trump would likely to take it anyway if Clinton doesn't just wipe the floor to begin with. Waiting for other shoe to drop but can't imagine who benefits from this.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2016 ---
    Someone should inform this guy his resumé reads like an appetizer for the tinfoil hat crowd, actually.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

His resume is printed on aluminum tinfoil.

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Well he's not going to attract those that like how Trump is presenting Hillary as "owned" by Wall Street.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, Hillary is owned by Wall Street while Trump just called for a moratorium on financial regulations. Looks like his 1% all white male economic team is pushing this. But he speaks for the little guy, right?

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

it's a big club & we are not in it.

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

This assumes he's running to win and not point out election failings.

12. 0007776 Suspended

He can always sue he states to get on the ballot. It's possible as long as he has enough money behind him. If he ends up taking off this could be a very good thing for Clinton as it might split enough of the Republican vote that Clinton can actually pull off a 50 state sweep.

13. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Well it's official

http://www.askmen.com/news/power_mo...nounce-independent-presidential-campaign.html

https://www.evanmcmullin.com/
    He has little chance of winning the White House, however, because the deadlines to get onto states' ballots have already passed in 26 states, including in battlegrounds like North Carolina, Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and large states like Illinois and Texas. He could potentially get onto roughly 26 state ballots, but it could also be a maximum of about 16 because more states have deadlines this week.

http://www.ktvq.com/story/32710092/anti-trump-republican-to-launch-independent-presidential-bid

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think I am. I'll be retiring at 58-60 largely on Wall Street money I've made.
    Policy director for the House GOP. That there disqualifies him already. The Republican House hasn't had a policy and hasn't governed.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

WOULD you like to adopt a short fat bald midget with a Mexican accent? :D

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Woo me with memes.

17. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Be careful - you know what Trump says about Mexicans!

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

sending you all of them by PM :D

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I wrote about the campaign in another thread, but now that I've seen the deadlines and the numbers, I don't see how they can affect the Trump campaign much.

There are 11 states whose deadlines have not passed.

This includes Arizona, Kentucky, Mississippi, Rhode Island, North Dakota, Oregon, Wyoming, Virginia, Idaho, Minnesota, and New York.

Even if the campaign was able to garner around 91,000 signatures needed, almost all of these states are already Clinton strongholds or, like North Dakota, contain so few electoral votes that they won't matter much.

Really, the only state that McMullin could hurt Trump is Arizona, which has become a toss-up. And, here Gary Johnson is already gobbling up almost 6 percent of the vote.

If McMullin focuses on a few states, they might be able to ding the Trump campaign's paint job and in Arizona that might be enough to throw the state into Clinton's territory.

That said, the campaign will probably be nothing more than protest and maybe that's enough for some Republicans.

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

But with the publicity - couldn't he wind up a write in in other states? I'm not as savvy with how that works... That might chink Trump's armor in some states if allowed.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Good thinking, you know what mods think of your memes sometimes. Don't get lost. :cool:
    There are probably some Johnson voters unhappy w/ Trump, Clinton who are not libertarians and might vote for this guy. Don't see how that really does anything but change who gets what part of the split votes that are not going to beat Clinton, what is the point of that expense. Could put it onto the Senate races.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Most states require campaigns to file paperwork to become eligible to be a write-in candidate and some states do not allow write-in ballots. Only seven states allow a write-in candidate without an application. Eight states will not count write-in ballots, while the remainder require some formal paperwork and many of those deadlines have passed.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's days like this that I regret him blocking me.

25. 0007776 Suspended

Probably although there are some states where you have to register as a write in and other write in votes don't count for anything. His best bet is through the courts and get the deadlines struck down.